Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Black Widow (Story Discussion)

I think it's part of a general GA story list glitch. If you go to Favorite stories and select various criteria (eg Adult, Complete, Romance) you get a list with the stories fufilling those criteria. However, as soon as you try to go to page 2 of this list, it reverts to the full story list.

I noticed and wondered if 15 is the maximum number of stories that can be linked like that. 

There is a glitch unfortunately :-(

Pared down feelings of the 90's? The 90's were the roaring 20's all over again. The excesses (Tyco, Enron, Adelphia, Qwest, Global Crossings/WorldCom, etc) happened in the 90's. The Dot.com explosion was in the 90's. It wasn't until the recession of 2001 and the market collapse following 9-11 that a lot of these things were exposed. The convictions happened in the 2000's, but the crimes occurred in the 90's.

I meant like fashion-wise, including architecture and vehicle designs. People might have had more money, but it wasn't like Dynasty where you wearing furs and eating cavier, etc etc. The 90's were all about minimalism. As Mark said, he had Stefan update his jet because we're headed into a more ostentatious era. The real estate market is riding high, and people were cashing in on this.

Have you seen The Big Short yet? It's a really good look at the mindset of the pre-Great Recession era:

Edited by methodwriter85

So...here it is March 4, 62 days since Mark posted new chapters for Black Widow and Valiant...62 days since he was even on-line. I have now completed reading the stories up to and including Box, which IMHO is the most moving of all the stories. First time I read it I didn't appreciate the pathos because of my admittedly dreadful habit of skimming. This time I drank it all in, sobbing quite openly for Steven, Aaron, Nathan, JP and even Jim. I hope Mark is well and will choose to return soon.

• Like 3

I was waiting for Mark to return before I made my first post.  I discovered CAP just as The Streak was ending, and there was an embarrassment of riches to enjoy.  I didn't realize I was developing an addiction. Now I've worked my way through all of it, and am going through withdrawal. 

I've reread Bloodlines several times.  I don't think it's the best CAP novel, but it stands on its own so well, and rereading it is like eating comfort food.

Mark, I hope you're doing well, and you feel like taking your pen up again soon. Just know you've got another loyal fan.

• Like 3

I've reread Bloodlines several times. I don't think it's the best CAP novel, but it stands on its own so well, and rereading it is like eating comfort food.

I like Bloodlines but it drives me crazy. No offense to Mark or his team, but the medical premise is all wrong. :no:

I like Bloodlines but it drives me crazy. No offense to Mark or his team, but the medical premise is all wrong. :no:

We had a doctor consult on us with that story. The medical stuff was unlikely but not impossible.

• Like 1

You know it's a scary world when dkstories has re-posted a new chapter in one of his stories and we are all waiting for Mark to continue his stories :o:(

Edited by mmike1969
  • Like 2

We had a doctor consult on us with that story. The medical stuff was unlikely but not impossible.

Mark did tell me once that he had a physician on his team. It wasn't really the unlikely ending that was bothering me, but the beginning. Classical medical teaching is that untreated streptococcal pharyngitis (throat infection) leads to rheumatic fever which is associated with heart disease, while poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis (kidney disease) is associated more commonly with skin infections regardless of whether they were treated. However, I just did a bit of research and it looks like the epidemiology of PSGN is shifting so I will let it go. I think I have been away from clinical medicine too long. :rolleyes:

Edited by impunity
  • Like 1

Mark did tell me once that he had a physician on his team. It wasn't really the unlikely ending that was bothering me, but the beginning. Classical medical teaching is that untreated streptococcal pharyngitis (throat infection) leads to rheumatic fever which is associated with heart disease, while poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis (kidney disease) is associated more commonly with skin infections, regardless of whether they were treated. However, I just did a bit of research and it looks like the epidemiology of PSGN is shifting so I will let it go. I think I have been away from clinical medicine too long. :rolleyes:

Maybe you could research the effects of long term Arbour withdrawal... :huh:

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

As I am working my way though the books again, I just started "Poor Man's son". I remember when I started reading it the very first time and how upset I was with Mark's April Fool's spoof until I realized it was really a spoof. Next week is April 1, perhaps we may be surprised with another spoof to start off the next chapter. Well at least I'm hoping.

Love you Mark.

Jack

• Like 3

Well, for one thing, is there a real dog involved? :unsure:

LOL... maybe... what do we really know about Mark?... :unsure:  ....."screwing the dog" or "screwing the pooch" is an old saying... It means 'being lazy' or 'not working'.... I'm sure that's not the case with Mr. Arbour :P

• Like 2

LOL... maybe... what do we really know about Mark?... :unsure:  ....."screwing the dog" or "screwing the pooch" is an old saying... It means 'being lazy' or 'not working'.... I'm sure that's not the case with Mr. Arbour :P

An old saying? I'm not surprised you know these old sayings, since you are getting on in years... 0:):P

• Like 2

I had to look it up. It's an idiom I hadn't managed to encounter in the almost 30 years I've been in this country. :rolleyes:

Funny, around here "screw the pooch" means royally messed up, on a par with FUBAR.

Found this one, too. :)

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..