• Site Moderator

Max hadn’t stopped smiling. “This is like a real pub!”

“That’s because it is a real pub.”

:gikkle: 

Max’s comment is almost childlike, bit it’s oh, so sweet in its wonder. :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Max’s comment is almost childlike, bit it’s oh, so sweet in its wonder. :) 

that's cuz it was written by a child...LOL

• Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Site Moderator

Max’s gaze travelled from Don to me. “You two are pulling my leg!”

The easy repoire between Donny, Louis and Max is proof this new family relationship is going to work. Sure, there will be bumps in the road, but engaging this easily with one another so soon has to be a sign of good things to come. 

PS: It also shows us what a wonderful boy Max is. His parents raised him well. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Site Moderator

Don waved a golden fry as he spoke, “No. Just Mr. Walker … Robert … and my mother. They come as a set, since they’re engaged.”

Clever and cute way to describe them, tim. :heart: it.

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator

It was weird giving these drawn out instructions. I didn’t want to use the proper words we’d normally say to the horse.

I realized that makes sense, because, of course Badger would hear Louis, and hearing those words would/might confuse him. He’s a smart horse, but I’m guessing he’s not trained to obey them only when they are spoken by his rider. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator

I collapsed onto the sofa. In front of me was a hot cup of tea. I reached for it and sipped. Pure nectar!

“Ah, man, that’s perfect.” I glanced at the pair of them. “Thanks a lot.”

Don was smiling at me.

A loving smile, but a knowing smile acknowledging Louis’s efforts 

Maybe, I’m reading too much into this, and maybe a smile is just a smile. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator

He stared, like I’d just told him the secrets of the universe. “Wow, that’s cool. You know a lot about cooking and stuff.”

Yeah, well, it’s something I enjoy, so I’m curious about the reasons for things.”

This reminds me of someone, but I can’t quite remember who. Hmm... :) 

“Thanks, Louis. Mom used to let me help. But you know what she’d always say?”

This sounds familiar, too, :) 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

@Defiance19  asked for a non-chocolate cake .. i am rather sure that other cakes in this story were NOT chocolate .. there was a lemon cake in the first book and a couple of nice coffee cakes that were not chocolate.  Teenage boys, and Husbands want chocolate cake.

• Love 4
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

@Defiance19  asked for a non-chocolate cake .. i am rather sure that other cakes in this story were NOT chocolate .. there was a lemon cake in the first book and a couple of nice coffee cakes that were not chocolate.  Teenage boys, and Husbands want chocolate cake.

Lol.. I’ll have to go to bk1 and bookmark for my drooling pleasure... See, unlike Max, I am a somewhat pick eater or just plain weird, so no coffee cake either. I guess I’ll go along with the Husbands and teenage boys because there’s no messing with that. Hehe.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Site Moderator

Robert came into the kitchen. “Hey, you two! Hi, Max. They’ve got you working I see!”

He looked up from slicing, and laughed. “Yes, Mr. Walker … they are slave drivers. I’m not sure I’m gonna like it here!”

So, there’s a bit of a gap between my last comment and this one - I finally settled down and got my attention set to reading :P - but this one I just had to take note of as it’s a wonderful example of just how good and secure Max is feeling. He’s always going to miss his parents, but he can be happy and enjoy himself. In other words, he can live, and that’s okay. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator

Max was still smiling. “Mr. Walker and I had a talk. He asked me how things were going here. I said really great and told him all the stuff we’d done and all. So, he asked me if I thought I’d like to stay here with you both ….”

I think I actually held my breath when I read this...

• Love 4
  • Site Moderator

Don smiled and said, “Max, you are welcome here with Louis and me, and our families. We can’t replace who you’ve lost, but we can love you.”

There was silence as Max processed those words. He smiled broadly at Don and me. He nodded and said, “Thanks.”

Who’s cutting the onions....?

Edited by Reader1810
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

Lol.. I’ll have to go to bk1 and bookmark for my drooling pleasure... See, unlike Max, I am a somewhat pick eater or just plain weird, so no coffee cake either. I guess I’ll go along with the Husbands and teenage boys because there’s no messing with that. Hehe.. 

coffee cake is not made with coffee...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
8 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I think I actually held my breath when I read this...

i know i did when i first read it!

5 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Who’s cutting the onions....?

happens a lot in this story, doesn't it?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
Just now, Defiance19 said:

Lol! I imagine I’d like it a lot more, if it were.  

But that blackberry lemon looks so, so good, to me.  

it would be .. i don't mind chocolate cake.. but i'd rather have a victoria sponge with cream and good raspberry jam

• Like 3
  • Love 2

German Chocolate Cake, and Cheesecake are my favorite cakes.

With all the food talk, I remember saying to tim in one chapter, that I love how he uses food in his story like it's another character.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
13 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

i know i did when i first read it!

happens a lot in this story, doesn't it?

Yes, but so does this...

Spoiler

:D :gikkle: :) :P

right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

…but i'd rather have a victoria sponge with cream and good raspberry jam

Proof that the officially bilingual (EN/FR) 33M CA is not the unofficially bilingual (EN/ES) 39M CA… and not the 51st state!  ;–)

Edited by Former Member
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Proof that the officially bilingual (EN/FR) CA is not the unofficially bilingual (EN/ES) 39M CA… and not the 51st state!  ;–)

i am too drugged today to understand what that means

• Haha 4