From the Forums: Finishing Your Stories

A topic posted by a new user, but appears to be a long time reader, got me thinking. I've seen a lot of "In Progress" stories that have been sitting around untouched, and some of them are untouched for years. I have a couple in that category myself, that I am working on, slow going, but still working on them. So, how do we as writers stop this from happening? Stopping the long-term "In Progress" from happening.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

A topic posted by a new user, but appears to be a long time reader, got me thinking. I've seen a lot of "In Progress" stories that have been sitting around untouched, and some of them are untouched for years. I have a couple in that category myself, that I am working on, slow going, but still working on them. So, how do we as writers stop this from happening? Stopping the long-term "In Progress" from happening.

thing is @BHopper2 you are still active on the site, so the reader has hope. its the ones that the author hasn't been to GA in months even years that i cry over

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I will probably finish my story The Seashell in the next few days.

I will then either move on to continue with Souvenir or the second book of the Thinning Veil. 

I always want to rotate three stories so that I can keep my imagination spinning. Snowflake is a much longer work so I have a ways to go with that. I'm a little over half-way through with that.

Brandon Smiling follows Comsie . . . and we know how that can go. Hehehehe. Just think of it as a serial on TV that goes and goes. I have so much to do with that one I hope I live long enough to even get close to finishing it. 

Edited by MrM
  • Like 4

I am notorious for having unfinished projects, so I won't even consider posting something that is not at least 90% complete.  I've caught some flak about being a "slow" writer, but I will take that over having uncompleted stories.  (I have one "in progress" that is basically a place for short stories in the NTS universe, but I don't count that) :P.

• Like 5

Right now, I'm just not being motivated to write. I've finished everything but one project and it is the current one. I feel like I'm writing for, "crumbs," as I may get 7 - 9 reviews, but 30 - 40 likes. I've tried to finish my stories before posting a couple of times before, but I can't seem to stay on track with writing when no one is seeing it. I think it is a confidence thing for me, I'm unsure that people would even like it, so I want to hear their feedback before I get too far into the story. Now, I'm thinking that I just need to get into the mindset to write the stories that I want to write.. and if no one likes it, they just don't like it. With that said though, life and waning motivation may lead me to not write much at all and I don't really want to stop writing.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Krista said:

Right now, I'm just not being motivated to write. I've finished everything but one project and it is the current one. I feel like I'm writing for, "crumbs," as I may get 7 - 9 reviews, but 30 - 40 likes. I've tried to finish my stories before posting a couple of times before, but I can't seem to stay on track with writing when no one is seeing it. I think it is a confidence thing for me, I'm unsure that people would even like it, so I want to hear their feedback before I get too far into the story. Now, I'm thinking that I just need to get into the mindset to write the stories that I want to write.. and if no one likes it, they just don't like it. With that said though, life and waning motivation may lead me to not write much at all and I don't really want to stop writing.

I totally agree with you. It does feel like no one cares when you don't get any reaction on chapters and stories. Likes are nice, but the emptiness of zero comments on a chapter, makes me feel like I screwed up somewhere.

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

This is where beta readers come in.  Or sharing with a group such as this.  Though, it is better to share with a group matched to the topic at hand.

• Like 3
On 29/08/2017 at 4:35 AM, BHopper2 said:

I totally agree with you. It does feel like no one cares when you don't get any reaction on chapters and stories. Likes are nice, but the emptiness of zero comments on a chapter, makes me feel like I screwed up somewhere.

Looking at your stories you have 55 followers for Aeris and a good number of readers have followed your other stories, they may not comment or even like, but they are there reading (I get around 10 readers following my stories). That has got to tell you something - people read your stuff and like it 😊

• Like 2
8 hours ago, William King said:

Looking at your stories you have 55 followers for Aeris and a good number of readers have followed your other stories, they may not comment or even like, but they are there reading (I get around 10 readers following my stories). That has got to tell you something - people read your stuff and like it 😊

That's true, and while I appreciate it, the comments help encourage writing, to finish the story. :)

• Like 1