The Drop in Centre

48 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

i love the way you approach writing. it is work, it's not a child or "my precious." but it is work done for the love of the craft. something to be lovingly created. the way you write something and then let it sit, marinate if you will, has taught me to let things be for a while. i often do this as your editor.

i also appreciate others work more now that i have worked with you. 

you may wish to slap me but i am going to post a prompt piece with no editing other than my own. i think you'll understand why when you read it ... it's better that it's left as it is.

it's for the last prompts Comicfan left ... and it needs to be as it is.

i learned about leaving  things from my previous editor and after reading Stephen King's book On Writing  and doing the exercise in there. It was an experience i've not forgotten.

King puts his manuscripts away for 6 months or more before the first edits start. That was amazing to me. So was the fact that he writes every single day .. every day. And of course reads everything. I'm not a professional author, never will be. But i try to do the best i can, with what i have.

Thanks molly  ... you're a treasure.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

you may wish to slap me but i am going to post a prompt piece with no editing other than my own. i think you'll understand why when you read it ... it's better that it's left as it is.

i learned about leaving  things from my previous editor and after reading Stephen King's book On Writing  and doing the exercise in there. It was an experience i've not forgotten.

King puts his manuscripts away for 6 months or more before the first edits start. That was amazing to me. So was the fact that he writes every single day .. every day. And of course reads everything. I'm not a professional author, never will be. But i try to do the best i can, with what i have.

nope.... no slapping here

when you say it needs to be as it is, i trust that.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

I think you've hit upon something important tim. 

For any artist, and by that I mean writer, painter, musician, actor, being able to step back and put something you've worked on, on hold, I think is a sign of growth. 

The ability to learn is ongoing. I just turned 53 last week and I hope I have many years of learning ahead of me. Knowledge is powerful. If you have to put something aside for the sake of being able to go back to it and learn why it's good, bad, how it can be improved, or if it needs to be deleted, then no matter what you've learned something. 

I just finished a story today. It was the first story that I had an editor from start to finish. She was great to work with, did not hold back on constructive criticism, made great suggestions on how to word something just a little differently so that it flowed better. She also taught me that I have a serious mental block when it comes to commas. (I honestly don't know why I forget them so often). I'm rambling, sorry. The gist of it is, I learned a lot by stepping back and letting someone else take a look. When I got stuck, she waited patiently, occasionally bounced ideas back and forth until the cogs started moving again. I truly appreciate the help and I believe the story came out better because of it. 

Stephen King is my all-time favorite author. The man is incredible when it comes to weaving stories and interweaving multiple books. The Dark Tower series blew me away with how he connected so many of his works. Pure. Genius. I've not read On Writing , but I think I may have to. I'm sure I will learn from it. 

As always, thanks for your thoughts. They always make me think. 😉

But i try to do the best i can, with what i have. ....and you succeed quite well tim.

Have a good evening.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kbois said:

I truly appreciate the help and I believe the story came out better because of it. 

It's a hard thing for many to hear, that your baby needs more. That you need to learn about commas. (Me too, i have a cheat sheet and Grammarly which are helpful) 

That that thing that happens in chapter 12 needs to be foreshadowed much earlier in the story to make it believable. (this one.. this one is missing so often in a lot of writing. There is so much lazy writing in books and scripts, it's beyond sad. It makes me want to throw something at the TV set often.)  I am all for suspension of disbelief but most of this crap they pour out is an insult to our intelligence.

Stop lazy writing. Do your work!

Make it right. 

Editors can see what we often cannot. After 6 weeks or six months we may be able to. But editors often do and can point those things out for us.

Your editor and you are a team.  Editors who help us amateur writers are generous. I cannot thank them enough.

It sounds like you enjoyed the experience. I'm happy for you.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, mollyhousemouse said:

it was a long week.
with my manager's approval and assistance, i did some pot stirring
i have Monday off, so Tuesday may be very interesting..... it is what it is

in case you missed it, tim posted another short story it's really good

https://gayauthors.org/story/mikiesboy/onlyprompts/31

i'm going to get ready for bed, i'll see y'all tomorrow

I like a feisty, molly.  Glad you have a nice long weekend. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, MichaelS36 said:

I like a feisty, molly.  Glad you have a nice long weekend. 

thank You Sir. i'm normally allergic to conflict. but i won't be walked on.

we're tired of other groups not using the proper procedures causing our numbers to look bad. so we elevated to the next level. the team lead on one of those groups has already made his displeasure known. "tough cookies. he needs to pull up his big boy pants and do his job." said my manager...

• Like 5

What did Obi-Wan say to Luke when he had trouble with using chopsticks at the Chinese restaurant?

Spoiler

Use the fork Luke

Don't groan too much. It made me chuckle. 

Have a good Saturday y'all!

• Haha 5

My worst summer nightmare.... big ol' thunderstorm and we've lost power. Ugh. Hope it doesn't last long. It's too damn hot. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, kbois said:

My worst summer nightmare.... big ol' thunderstorm and we've lost power. Ugh. Hope it doesn't last long. It's too damn hot. 

I'm hoping we get a huge thunderstorm (minus losing our power) I love hearing the wind howling, the thunder crashing, along with seeing the lightening streaking across the sky, its my favorite thing in the world.

I hope you didn't have to wait to long to get your power back on.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, 1brokNangel said:

I'm hoping we get a huge thunderstorm (minus losing our power) I love hearing the wind howling, the thunder crashing, along with seeing the lightening streaking across the sky, its my favorite thing in the world.

It was out for about an hour and a half. Just long enough for the house to start getting too hot. Luckily it cooled off pretty quick. 

I love watching thunderstorms too. There's just something about then that's awesome. Florida has some pretty incredible lightning shows too. 

• Like 5
20 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Those sound delicious

They are delicious. i like her recipes and baking instructions. Most 100% whole wheat flour muffins don't rise so well.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, 1brokNangel said:

hi there .. hope you're doing okay. nice to see you!   thunderstorms are cool...

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, kbois said:

It was out for about an hour and a half. Just long enough for the house to start getting too hot. Luckily it cooled off pretty quick. 

I love watching thunderstorms too. There's just something about then that's awesome. Florida has some pretty incredible lightning shows too. 

glad it wasn't too long .. though that is long enough.  our weather was weird.. lots of rain, stupidly humid and cold (mid 60s) ... the sheets felt damp when i got in last night... ugh.

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

Winn Dixie had Bourbon marinated salmon filets on sale today so I picked some up for supper. OMG, they were amazing! Roasted Brussel sprouts were the perfect touch. 

Hope everyone has a good night!

(I'm hoping the rain holds off until after my dog walk!)

Edited by kbois
  • Like 4
9 minutes ago, kbois said:

Winn Dixie had Bourbon marinated salmon filets on sale today so I picked some up for supper. OMG, they were amazing! Roasted Brussel sprouts were the perfect touch. 

Hope everyone has a good night!

(I'm hoping the rain holds off until after my dog walk!)

sounds nice, i'm glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 4

Hey All

I'm doing ok.

Still waiting for Probate to finalise Dad's estate, but even when granted it will take time as no interest in Dad's flat.

As far as my health goes, I'm still waiting for Hospital Treatment for these Kidney Stones, so pain still being managed with painkillers.

Take Care all x

• Sad 4
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

As far as my health goes, I'm still waiting for Hospital Treatment for these Kidney Stones,

WTF??  Are they waiting till they are large enough to cut like diamonds and mount into jewelry?

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, 1brokNangel said:

I feel for you having kidney stones is no fun, hope they can get you in soon.

So do I, it's been nearly 6 months since I had emergency surgery to fit a stent, as the stones were causing blockage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
4 hours ago, chris191070 said:

All I've been told is that I'm on the waiting list

i've heard that hospital resources have been shifted with the covid patients taking the priority. i hope you are able to get in soon

Edited by mollyhousemouse
dang tiny buttons
  • Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..