Chapter titles or not?

2 hours ago, lawfulneutralmage said:

Hi,

I am in two minds about chapter titles and need some advice.

Should there be chapter titles? If yes, how to chose a title that does not reveal too much ... or does that not really matter?

Any thoughts anybody?

Thx,

Law

Whether or not to use chapter titles is really a matter of personal preference for the author. I like the idea of chapter titles as they can be a way to provoke and maintain interest in a story if chosen well. I have struggled to come up with chapter titles that would entice readers in most stories and so have stuck with chapter numbers in all but one story. I'd be interested to know what other authors and readers think so I will be looking out for other replies to your question.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

It's up to you. Personally, i've done both. Just seeing Chapter 1 of a multi-chapter story just seems kinda sad to me. So, i like to think of titles once i'm finished writing the chapter.  Usually, they are just a general feeling of what the chapter is about.  For example, Chapter 1 of The Searcher, is The Long Way Home.  That's generally what Chapter 1 is about.. the Main Character's journey home, via a bar, and temple ... yet it is also more than that.  He has a lot to do before he can ever really get home and find any peace.

So, do what you feel is best for you and your story. Look at stories you've read. What do you think about the titles. When you've finished a chapter, what would you call it, how does it make you feel?

• Love 4
On 9/1/2023 at 4:07 AM, Mancunian said:

Whether or not to use chapter titles is really a matter of personal preference for the author. I like the idea of chapter titles as they can be a way to provoke and maintain interest in a story if chosen well. I have struggled to come up with chapter titles that would entice readers in most stories and so have stuck with chapter numbers in all but one story. I'd be interested to know what other authors and readers think so I will be looking out for other replies to your question.

I agree with everything you say here. While chapter titles can draw interest, I struggle to come up with them, and as such, I take the lazy way out and stick with numbered chapters.

If you're creative enough, go for it! Just don't feel like you need to because someone else does.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • 2 weeks later...

@lawfulneutralmage

For my current story, I am using chapter titles to highlight concepts or explore certain aspects of the plot. I am using Robert Greene's 48 Laws of Power as the framework, since the nature of my story is about someone rising above the odds to power. Also, readers never know if I will bring up the additional 2 laws of power, just to rock the boat.

I came up with the idea on the chapter titles, when I was watching a documentary about Machiavellian philosophy, which featured George R.R Martin, Robert Greene, and former UK PM Tony Blairs' political adviser discussing the nature of power. I've been mulling over the concept for a few years, until the character of Eli fully formed in my mind. 

Basically, if another book or concept appeal to how your story works, then it might be worth using key points as chapter titles. I don't know if my story will be well received, but it's really fun to write.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I do not use them, I don't have the opinion they spoil anything. Unless you're way too on the nose with the subject matter followed-up in the chapter. I am more likely to use a loosely themed title, that can carry over throughout the entire piece than I am to use chapter specific titles.

For Example (even if it is a televised show): Prisma has a theme per episode based on the colors found in a Prism's refraction. Red, Orange, Yellow, etc. It doesn't give you much to go on, as far as what the episode has in store for you. It more or less groups them all together in a general overall theme - that may or may not be used anywhere else. It is just stylistic. Only thing it gave away is, where you were in the story. Red - Beginning, Violet - End. 

The only thing I would say definitively is: If you're spending more time attempting to come up with a catchy title to the chapter - than you are actually writing it, then you may want to rethink them. Don't let them become a roadblock to progress. If you name them after the fact, just make sure you're not giving too much away within the title than you want. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As a reader, I like chapter titles.  If I remember a story but don't remember what chapter a specific thing I wish to re-read is in, the Chapter Titles help me find it faster.  Further, a chapter title can't be TOO specific, but at least needs to hint at what is in the chapter.  An example of a too specific title could be:  "John hits James on the nose for outing him."  A better title might be -- "John expresses his feelings."

I have read a couple of authors who sometimes use chapter titles and sometimes do not -- in the same story!  That can work, depending on the particular story, but I still prefer having a chapter title.  

• Like 3

I love chapter titles.  They're fun and evocative.

And when I get a notification storm about "chapter 10" I get nothing about what story that is or anything.  or even if three different stories I'm reading now all are on chapter 10. 

Sure,  it doesn't suit everybody and every story,  but I like it when people have fun ones

• Like 4

I like to use chapter titles, but the name of my current story is long, and if I used chapter titles as well, it would push authors out of the queue so readers wouldn't notice their current update.   I insert the chapter title at the top of the chapter instead. 

Edited by Bill W
  • Like 5

Another thing I do is when I write a single chapter short story, like for an anthology, I include the story title as the chapter title as well.  That way when someone reacts to or comments on the story, I have some idea what story they're referring to and don't have to guess.  Otherwise, when I receive a notice it only states that sol-and-so reacted to or commented on Chapter 1, and that's it.  If I have the story title as the chapter title as well, it will give me that information in the notification too. 

By the way, the same thing happens when an author responds to a comment I left about one of their stories and when I receive the notification, I have no idea what story they're talking about, so this is something the rest of you might want to also consider doing.  

Edited by Bill W
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I definitely like to use them. First, they’re a reminder to me of at least one or two things I want to address. Secondly, like @Bill W said, they’re teasers and I generally put the next chapter’s title at the end of the previous chapter. Occasionally I won’t include this advance title teaser, especially when I just dropped a bomb (cliffhanger).

• Love 4

Rather late to the discussion, I'm afraid. For me it depends on the story. For some, it's a helpful way of keeping track and sometimes they make it to the final cut, sometimes not. I rather like have a little descriptive tag, hopefully to tempt people. But other stories come out in a continuous stream of short sections, these never have titles and chapters are only for convenience. But I can see that other folk are different. That's half the fun.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

I like chapter titles. They can be fun and whimsical. Or foreboding. I agree that they shouldn't give things away, but if you run that risk, just make the chapter title so obtuse and mysterious that if a reader figures it out, they probably deserve to know.

For the story I'm working on right now, I am using one word titles. Just nouns. Looking over them just now, I realize they are pretty obtuse at times, but then again, it might help a reader refer back to a chapter as an identifier of sorts.

• Like 5
On 12/27/2023 at 5:39 AM, Aditus said:

When I use titles, they are teasers. I have great fun coming up with those.

I do enjoy chapter titles that hint at something in the chapter, and I prefer when there has been some thought given to the title. So, I’m glad when an author makes the effort because it’s noticeable.

• Like 5