Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,538 Words
  • 860 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reckoning - 6. Chapter 6

The car Patrick’s father had sent to bring his son home entered the vast property. Patrick stared out the passenger window as the car pulled up to the main staircase. He waited as his door opened. “Welcome home, young Valdez,” said Shilo.

 

“Shilo,” he said, climbing out of the car. “It’s good to be home.”

 

“Your parents are in the library waiting for you.”

 

“Thank you. Are you escorting me?”

 

“No, I have other duties to perform on the grounds.” She took her leave, walking off as Patrick scaled the steps and entered the house. The grand foyer with a majestic chandler. A Double staircase shaped like an octagon with connecting rooms and hallways. To the right and left were waiting rooms where the unannounced guest waited. The next two were hallways leading either to the west wing or east wing of the house. Straight ahead lead to a viewing room of the vast garden behind the house. Patrick past a large oval table with a large vase with exotic flowers going to the east wing of the house where the library lied.

 

While walking down the hallway on a plush vintage runner rug, he passed tables with bowls and vases some empty some not and display cabinets holding awards, photos and relics from trips around the world on both sides of the hall instead of plan picture windows stain glass windows embellished the walls between the furniture. The library stood at the end of the hall with two large double wooden doors half-opened. Patrick remembered being afraid of the doors, hand-carved with the face of a Stag whose antlers spread across the door like vines. When the door opened, the face split apart.

 

Patrick entered and scanned the collection of rare books in the semi-circle room with three levels of shelved books. A spiral staircase that could rival the one at Patrick’s townhouse took them to the lower level where they kept the rarest manuscripts inside a glass volt. His mother wore a top and calf pants made of relaxed linen with natural colors. She stood barefoot on a step ladder holding a book while his father dressed casually caressed her legs from behind causing her to giggle.

 

“Raoul, stop it,” she smacked his hand. “You’re going to make me fall.”

 

“Never,” he declared laughing with her. “I will not allow—anything to happen to my queen.”

 

“Then let me put this book away.”

 

“How can I? When all I want to do is touch you.”

 

Patrick loved seeing his parents display their love for one another, but he wasn’t there to watch his father ravish his mother. He cleared his throat, catching their attention. Drucilla’s eyes went wide when she saw her son. She placed the book down and stepped down as Raoul kept a close eye on her, sliding his hand along her slender body as reached the bottom step. She turned and took his hand, walking him to greet their only child.

 

“Sorry to interrupt,” Patrick said.

 

“You never,” Drucilla said, kissing his cheek.

 

Patrick returned to embrace as she stepped aside to allow Raoul to welcome his son.

 

“Your mother is right,” Raoul placed his palm on Patrick’s cheek. “And you are the only man I will share her with.”

 

“Lunch will be ready soon,” Drucilla said. “Please say you’re staying?”

 

“I came all this way. Yes, I’m staying.”

 

“Your detective is busy?” Raoul said, in a cynical tone.

 

Patrick brushed it aside. “He’s working and for good reason.”

 

“And what would that be?” Raoul had walked away over to a handsome bar where a young female bartender waited for his order. “Scotch on the rocks.” Was all he needed to say to her as she knew his favorite band. “Drucilla would you like a drink?”

 

“I’ll just have seltzer and ginger; I’m having champagne at lunch. My love.”

 

Raoul smiled and looked at Patrick. “Will my son drink with me?”

 

“I’ll have the same as you, father.”

 

“Goodman.”

 

The bartender gathered the drinks on a tray and was about to carry it out when Raoul stopped her.

 

“Thank you Vicky, but I will serve today,” he smiled.

 

“As you wish Mr. Valdez.”

 

Raoul carried the drinks over and served his family. “Come, let’s sit and talk,” he suggested.

 

They sat in front of a large bay window overseeing a grand water garden. The temperature-controlled pond homed several Broadtail Moor goldfish. When the weather got colder, they transport the fish to their private aquarium underground.

 

While Raoul and Drucilla sat on a plush leather couch, Patrick sat on the matching ottoman just in front of them.

 

Patrick took a small swallow of his drink as he knew his mother worried about his excessive indulging.

 

“I’m curious why you wanted to see me, father?”

 

“Maybe it was the only way I could get you to visit,” Raoul said.

 

“I had things to do.”

 

“Like, see that detective?”

 

“His name is Adam. I wish you would call him that?”

 

“Why would I do that?”

 

“Because…” Patrick braced himself before finishing. “He’s asked me to move in with him.”

 

“He what?”

 

Drucilla saw her husband getting ready to chastise their son and interjected. “Patrick when did this occur?”

 

“He asked me last week.”

 

“And you’re just telling us?” Raoul said.

 

“I’m grown father and have my penthouse. I can make my own decisions.”

 

“Oh, can you?”

 

“Now, Raoul. Patrick, you’ve never lived with anyone before. Why now?”

 

“I love Adam. I feel comfortable and safe around him.”

 

“You felt that way around Yuri, but you refused him,” Raoul said.

 

“Why are you bring him up?” Patrick rose to his feet. “He has nothing to do with this.” Moving away he didn’t realize he swallowed his drink, but his parents did.

 

Drucilla sat her drink down and went to him, turning him to face her.

 

“Patrick this is so sudden. You hardly know Adam.”

 

“But I do, mother. He’s understanding, sweet, and loves me.”

 

“What about his family? You know nothing about them.”

 

“But I do. He took me to see them for his birthday.”

 

“You met his parents?”

 

“I did. And his brothers. He has three.”

 

“I see.”

 

“Mom, if you met them you would love them as much as I do.”

 

“Yes but, moving in… wait. Is he moving into the penthouse?”

 

“No. I’ll be moving into his place.”

 

“His place?” Raoul spoke up. “You mean above that office?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“How would any of your things fix?”

 

“I’m not taking everything.”

 

“So, you’re selling the penthouse?”

 

“I haven’t decided on that yet. I might keep it so I wouldn’t have to put my things into storage.”

 

“He’s only allowing you to bring a few things?”

 

“There’s not a lot of room for all my things.”

 

“Patrick, I hate to say it. But wouldn’t it be sensible for him to move in with you?”

 

“No, father. He has his business to run and I’m not working so it’s better if I move in with him.”

 

“What about Poe?”

 

“He’ll remain at the penthouse.”

 

“It seems you have it all figured out.”

 

“I do.” Patrick found it hard to make eye contact when his father touched his chin and locked eyes with him.

 

“If this is what you want. I can’t stand in your way anymore. Even if I think it’s a mistake. Your mother and I want you to be happy.”

 

“I am happy. I’m moving in with the man I love.”

 

“Then it’s settled,” Drucilla stated, taking his empty glass and passing it to her husband. A bell rang alerting them that lunch was ready. “Come, let’s eat, I’m famished.”

 

Patrick took her arm and walked out of the library. Raoul swallowed his drink, leaving the glasses on a table and removing his cell. He pushed a single number and waited.

 

“Yes, Mr. Valdez?”

 

“Bring my car around.”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

Raoul hung up and joined Patrick and Drucilla in the dining room, seated at the cozy table. The house had two dining rooms, one for company, and the other the family claimed as their own.

 

“Raoul, what kept you?” asked Drucilla.

 

Raoul moved to her side he leaned down and kissed her mouth. “I’m sorry.”

 

Drucilla didn’t need to hear more. She knew his tone of needing to leave. “Oh, Raoul, why? Patrick came all this way.”

 

“I know and I’m sorry again, but a problem has arisen that needs my attention. I swear I won’t be late.”

 

“Don’t you have people to handle these problems?” asked Patrick. Not wanting his father to leave.

 

“I do but this project is too important to ignore.” He kissed Patrick’s forehead and rustled his curls before taking his leave.

I hope all of you are enjoying my new story. I'll having fun writing it.
As always please leave a like and or comment.
Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
Thank you all for reading I hope I didn't disappoint.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Inside a glazed vault... 
Why are you bringing him up?
When the weather got colder they would transport....

goodman – good man

The grammatical errors I am finding are small and inconsequential – do you wish me to continue to note them for you or just sit back and enjoy the reading? I know these chapters were posted a couple of years ago and I don't even know if you still check the comments. I try to make it a habit not to jump in where I am not wanted, but my history (as a very old schoolteacher) causes my fingers to itch when I spot an error. Some authors take offense at my suggestions (and they are merely suggestions) which you may choose to ignore if you prefer.

Edited by Will Hawkins
Link to comment

Actually this is a new upload I needed a story between Homecoming and Our Little Nest.

I do read every comment and do appreciate your help.

I would also love to know if you're enjoying my story. but I guess you are because you're commenting. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am enjoying the story quite a bit.  I, as the previous commentor did, have noticed some sound-alike words that are not correct.  This is a very common occurrence on this site.  I think there must be an automatic editor going around changing words to what it thinks they should be.

For example, this chapter, 7th paragraph:

Semi-circle should be semi-circular

Them should be him

Volt should be vault

Calf pants should be mid-calf pants.

I will try to butt-out of your writting unless you want me to make corrections.  30 years of reading Junior and Senior reports has made me catching nonstandard usage at a glance.

Again, your story line is excellent so far.

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..