Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 730 Words
  • 649 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reckoning - 7. Chapter 7

The Detectives arrive on the scene and recognized the familiar place. They headed to where the body laid. They hid the gruesome scene with a white sheet and surrounding officers. Both men removed latex gloves from their pockets and slid them on. They’re greeted by the first responders.

“Has anyone touched the body?” Artie asked.

“As far as we know, no,” said an officer who name tag read Baxter.

“Who found it?”

“Jennifer Green, she owns this bar.”

“Where is she now?”

“Waiting inside the bar.”

“Ok.” Artie turned to AJ, who was already looking around the scene. “AJ, how about you question the owner and I’ll deal with this?”

“Okay.” AJ went straight professional and never questioned Artie’s orders. He turned and headed to the bar called the Cave.

The subtle nuance hasn’t changed since last he had been here. The décor with the unmatched chairs and scattered tables, a jukebox in the back, and retro neon signs everywhere. He saw the owner behind the bar writing in what looked to be a ledger. An Asian female with gray platinum hair cut just above the collar but kept full body on top. She still held her youthful appearance.

AJ stepped to the counter where she noticed him and stopped writing.

“Please tell me you’re here to take my statement?” She asked, annoyed.

“Hello, I’m Detective Chance and yes I’m here to take your statement.”

“Finally,” she said, tossing back her head. “I’m exhausted and want to go home.”

“And you will as soon as you tell me everything you can remember.” AJ remain standing as he removed his notebook and pen.

“That’s not a problem. I was closing up my bar and was about to climb onto my motorcycle to go home when I notice a person slumped on the ground behind my bike.”

“Did you touch the body?”

“Yeah, I needed to see if they were okay.”

“Tell me where you touched them.”

“Okay, I kneeled down and grabbed his jacket and tugged him over.”

“So, he was face down?”

“Sort of. He was more on his knees, bent over like he was looking for something or throwing up. His suit was dark, so I didn’t see the blood until I turned him on his side, then it was everywhere.”

“The motorcycle out there is yours?”

“Yeah. They won’t need it for evidence, will they? He wasn’t touching it.”

“I doubt it. Tell me, did you look for any ID on him?”

“No, I’ve seen enough cop shows to know not to disturb the body. Only—I did, didn’t I?”

“You did what anyone else would do.”

“Do you know who killed him?”

“Not yet. Tell me was anyone else around when you found him?”

“No. My employees all went home before me.”

“You heard anyone running away or a door closing?”

“No. but I know him.”

“You do? What’s his name?”

“Peter Tork, he’s a regular in here. He owns a brewery around back. I sell his beer. It’s called Killer Brew.”

“Killer Brew?”

“Yeah it’s a great seller.”

“When was the last time Mr. Tork came in here?”

“Yesterday.”

“What time?”

“About 9 pm.”

“Was he alone?”

“No, he was with his friend Paul I don’t know his last name.”

“Were they having drinks?”

“More like, getting drunk. I had to tell them to leave.”

“Why?”

“They were arguing about some text messages. I don’t know the details but things got heated fast.”

“Is there anything you can remember from their conversation?”

“Sorry, no.”

“Okay.” AJ removed his card and gave it to her. “As soon as they remove the deceased, you can take your bike.”

“Questioning is over?”

“For now. If you think of anything else or if Paul comes in can you call me. No matter the time.”

“All right.”

“Thank you for your time.” AJ took his leave and headed back to the crime scene.

Artie stood talking to two police officers as the Coroner prepare the body for removal when he noticed AJ approaching. “Welcome back,” he said as the officers departed to their duties.

“What did I miss?”

“I know his place of death.”

“Is it in his brewery?”

“Okay what do you got?”

“Do you also know he’s a witness we questioned from the Gavin Martin case?”

“Oh great. Why do I have a feeling I’ll regret this case?”

Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Thank you all for reading I hope I didn't disappoint.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

“Okay what do you got?” There are several ways this one can be rewritten: "Okay, what you got?" (slang), "Okay, what do you have? (correct English, but maybe too formal.) Note that a comma after "Okay" is sort of optional, it just makes the statement read better to pause there.

Link to comment
On 3/22/2020 at 6:28 PM, Will Hawkins said:

“Okay what do you got?” There are several ways this one can be rewritten: "Okay, what you got?" (slang), "Okay, what do you have? (correct English, but maybe too formal.) Note that a comma after "Okay" is sort of optional, it just makes the statement read better to pause there.

Or "Okay, what've you got?". 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..