Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,130 Words
  • 628 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reckoning - 15. Chapter 15

Artie insist that Adam ride with them and Adam’s response was walking away and climbing into his jeep. AJ went after him and tried to open the passenger, finding it locked. He stared at Adam, who sat looking straight ahead, ignoring his banging on the window. He started the motor and reluctantly unlocked the door. AJ boarded annoyed with Adam’s childish behavior but said nothing as he fastened his seatbelt. Adam took off as soon as he heard the click jerking AJ back into his seat.

He watched the road, glancing in his rearview mirror at Detective Cutter following in his car. He didn’t hate the forensic and the morgue. In fact, he didn’t mind doing his examination in one. Unlike his classmates, he never became grievously ill. He wanted to text good morning to Patrick and maybe go upstairs for a quickie. Instead, he’s being forced to drive to a mortuary with his ex-boyfriend riding shotgun.

“Why are you riding with me and not your boyfriend?” Adam wanted to bite his tongue off for asking AJ anything; he didn’t care.

“Adam, I shouldn’t be telling you this.”

“Then don’t.”

AJ ignored him. “Two men murdered a day apart. The first Peter Tork and the second Paul Riser.”

Adam tensed by squeezing the steering wheel. Both men were friends with Gavin Martin.

“Adam, had Patrick Valdez received any threats or…”

“Did he kill anyone?”

“Has anything happen that seem odd or questionable?”

“No.” Adam kept the near hit and run to himself.

He pulled into the lot and parked. Artie pulled in next to him.

“Do me a favor, keep your boyfriend on a leash.”

Before AJ could answer, Adam climbed out of his jeep and headed to the door. AJ fell into step with Artie.

“Did he say anything?” Artie asked.

“Not a word.”

“Do you think he’s lying?”

“Yes.”

They entered the building with Adam following. The smell was formaldehyde and copper Adam ignored it while AJ and Artie flinched from the scent. When they reached the examiner room an attendant was waiting for them. He looked to be in his late thirties, short and stout with red hair wearing scrubs.

“Hello,” Artie said, showing his badge. “I’m Detective Cutter, this is Detective Chance, and this is Adam Potter. We’re here to see Peter Tork and Paul Riser.”

Adam wanted to punch Artie in the back of the head for not addressing him as a detective.

“Yes detectives, Mr. Potter. This way.”

AJ looked back and gave Adam a sympathetic shrug before following the man.

Adam just rolled his eyes and they enter the frigid room with two slabs each holding a body with a sheet covering their midsections. Peter Tork laid with his chest cavity opened, his ribs spread apart with claps. Paul Riser laid with his face smashed and chest crushed.

Adam enjoyed the view of Artie cringing from the sight and holding a handkerchief to his nose. AJ had to cover his nose, but held his composure. “Deep breaths boys the moment will pass.”

Artie try to say something when AJ grabbed his arm, catching his eye, warning him to calm down.

The examiner took in place beside the corpus. “Well, gentlemen please step forward and I will give my analysis.”

Adam stepped up close enough to see inside the open body of Peter Tork. He didn’t feel nauseous, in fact the whole processor enthralled him. The M.E. told him he would do well in such a field, and Adam almost considered switching profession. He never like guns he enjoyed hand to hand combat.

“Now we found trauma on the kidneys, the back of the right upper thigh, and throat. The rest of the organs were fine. I can tell you what he last ate from looking at the contents of his stomach.”

“That sounds interesting,” Adam said.

“We can pass on that,” Artie said, trying not to throw up. “Just give us the time of death.”

“Yes.” He leaned over to check his papers that rest on a waist-high table with wheels. “Between nine and nine-thirty.”

“So, the bar next door was still open,” AJ said.

“Well, we don’t need a time for his friend. We were there,” Artie said. “Did you find anything else we can use?”

“We haven’t gotten to him yet.”

“Fine. Potter is he you client?” Artie pointed at Paul’s still body.

Adam glance way from Peter’s body to look at Paul’s. “First off, he wasn’t my client. He never paid me.”

“Was it fifteen hundred?”

“That’s right.”

“We found it in an envelope with your name in it.”

“Nice to know.”

“What did he ask you to do?”

“He wanted me to provide him protect. He calmed someone was trying to kill him.”

“Did he say who.”

“He didn’t know. He just told me his friend was already dead.”

“Wait,” AJ interrupted. “Paul told you about Peter’s death?”

“Yeah.”

“We never released that information. How did he find out?”

“Don’t ask me. And I guess you can’t ask him.”

“Why didn’t you tell him to go to the police?” Artie snapped.

“I did, but he wasn’t having it. He insisted I protect him.”

“Do you know how much trouble you’re in for messing in police affairs.”

“None because he never hired me.”

“So, you only work when you’re paid.”

“I have bills to pay.”

“Really? Because I heard you’re shacked up with that Valdez kid. He has lots of money.”

Adam said nothing, but stared daggers at Artie.

“I mean, if you need money he can toss you a few grand for your services.”

“Fuck you Artie,” Adam snapped, stepping to him.

AJ got between them. “Okay that’s enough. We’re done here.”

“Good, so am I,” Adam barked, leaving the room ignoring AJ calling to him.

The examiner covered the bodies and left the room as AJ turned to Artie.

“Damnit Artie, you go too far.”

“Why are you mad at me? Potter was the one who fucked up.”

“You didn’t need to bring up his relationship with Patrick Valdez. It was uncalled for.” AJ turned to leave when Artie grabbed his arm to stop him.

“AJ, wait. I’m sorry.” His voice dropped a tone.

“It’s not me you should apologize too. It’s Adam. Ever since he got back to town, you’ve taken jabs at him as if he did something to you. And you forget it was us who betrayed him.”

“Come on AJ.”

“No. Artie enough. No more smart remarks. He doesn’t deserve it.”

“Okay. You’re right. The next time I see him I will apologies.”

“Thank you. Now come on we have witnesses to question.”

AJ and Artie stepped out of the building when they saw Adam skidding wheels out of the lot speeding away.

Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 3
Thank you all for reading I hope I didn't disappoint.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..