Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,096 Words
  • 522 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reckoning - 23. Chapter 23

Adam stepped out of his office into the reception, finding Justin at his desk. He noticed Justin wouldn’t make eye contact with him.

“Justin, can I make you a cup of coffee?” Adam asked.

“No thanks,” Justin said, pretending to sort papers on his desk.

“I need to know your involvement,” Artie said to Justin.

Justin looked at the detective. “I saw a head slam into our window.”

“Why didn’t you call the police?”

“Damnit Artie, he gave his statement get off his back,” Adam snapped.

Justin looked at Adam standing up for him and flashed him a tiny grin. Adam gave him a wink as he stared daggers at Artie.

“You need to back off Potter.”

“Maybe you should take your own advice. You’ve been riding my ass and for what? A guy needing my help.”

“He’s dead Potter.”

“No shit! I told him to go to the police, but he insisted they couldn’t help. What did you want me to do, take his hand and walk him to you?”

“Even if he’s involved?”

Adam stepped to Artie; their face was a hair from touching. “Except for being targeted you have nothing on Patrick. If you want to chase false claims go ahead, I’ll be there to debunk them as always.”

“Artie,” AJ’s voice caught both men’s attention. “If you’re finished? We have a case to solve,” he said, walking out.

Artie looks at AJ and back at Adam. “Yeah, I guess we’re done here.” He left to catch up with his partner, who took the stairs. Adam step to the door, slamming it shut. He looked to his office and wondered why Patrick never came out. Without a word to Justin, he entered his office, finding Patrick sitting in his chair facing the window. The bottle of whisky was out of his draw and opened and Patrick holding a half full glass.

“Pat,” Adam turned the chair kneeling in front of his lover.

Patrick’s cheeks were wet as he gripped the glass in one hand. He centered on Adam’s blue eyes as best he could.

“What is it?”

“It’s happening again.”

“I’ll keep you safe, Pat.”

“But who’s keeping you safe?”

“Don’t worry about me.”

“If not me than who? The killer is focusing on you. I can’t lose you, Adam.” More tears rolled down his cheeks as he pulled the glass towards his lips.

Adam grabbed the glass and yanked it from his hand, swallowing the liquid.

Patrick sobbed as Adam pulled him into a hug.

“I need to lock up first. Stay here, understand?”

Patrick could only nod his head.

Adam grabbed his keys and went back to the reception room. He found Justin putting on his coat and grabbing his bag.

“You heard?” Adam asked.

“Yeah.”

“Come on, I’ll walk you out.”

They left the office, taking the stairs down.

“Am I coming to work tomorrow?”

“You better. I need your help in finding this nut-job so I can get our lives back in order.”

“Is Patrick still moving in?”

“I’ll put that on hold. I need him somewhere safe so I’ll ask him to go to his parent’s house.”

“How do you think he’ll take it?”

“Not well, but I’ll convince him.”

They reached to bottom, and Adam insisted on walking Justin to his car.

“Justin, I want you to stay in tonight. I realize I don’t have the right but…”

“No problem, boss. I’m done in any way.”

“See you tomorrow?”

“Bright and early.”

Adam waited until he drove off before turning back to his building.

“Excuse me,” a male voice said behind him.

Adam turned and stood face to face with reporter holding a microphone.

“Are you Adam Potter?”

“Who’s asking?”

“Quintin Turner, of Channel 2 news. I wonder if you can answer a few questions?”

“No, I can’t.” Adam walked away, but the reporter and his cameraman stepped in his way.

“Can you tell us what is happening in that building?”

“The police are right over there. Go asked them.”

“Isn’t that the same building where a murder happened recently?”

“No comment.”

“And wasn’t Patrick Valdez the son of the tycoon Raoul Valdez involved with that murder?”

“I said no comment.” Adam tried his best to get back to his building when another report this time a female stuck a mic in his face.

“Vicky Hoult, with the Times. Can you tell me what’s your involvement with Patrick Valdez?”

“What? Where did you come from?”

“Is Patrick Valdez involved with these present murders?”

“Get away from me!” Adam barked, pushing past the reporters and rushing into his building. He watched as more cameras recorded and reporters screamed questions at him. He locked the door and rushed upstairs. When he reached his office, all he wanted to do was take Patrick upstairs. When he entered the office, he found a lone reported with a cameraman trying to interview Patrick who sat frozen in Adam’s seat.

“Come on Valdez, we know you’ve been coming here, are you and Detective Potter lovers? Did he give you that charm around your neck?”

Patrick opened his mouth to proclaim his love for Adam when he saw him standing at the door.

“How about I give you a fist in the face?” Adam asked.

The reporter turned to Adam, along with his cameraman.

“Well, well the lover returns,” the reported said unaffected by Adam’s threat.

“Get out of my building.”

“Oh, so you own this building. Well, are you aware the Valdez cooperation is trying to obtain ownership of this building?”

Adam tried to hold his composure when Patrick spoke.

“That’s not true,” Patrick said.

The reporter kept his eyes on Adam, but his cameraman turned the lens on Patrick.

“My sources say different. We hear there’s two murders connected to the Gavin Martin case weren’t you in a relationship with the deceased Martin, Mr. Valdez?”

“Don’t say a word Pat,” Adam ordered.

“Oh, so you are dating Valdez. Tell our viewers how you snagged one of the richest men in the world?”

“How about I show your viewer how I beat the chap out of nosy reporters?”

“This one has a temper. So different from your last lover, Mr. Valdez.”

Adam had enough. He grabbed the reporter and his cameraman and shoved them out of his office, closing the door behind him. “Lock the door Pat,” Adam called.

“Is that your pet name for him?” the reporter asked.

Adam ignored him as he continued to shove them down the stairs and out of his building back into the mob of reporters.

Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1
Thank you all for reading I hope I didn't disappoint.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..