Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,078 Words
  • 1,008 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reckoning - 54. Chapter 54

On the way home Adam stopped at the local bakery and purchased six assorted cupcakes for Patrick, Mia and himself. The car rental was good until the next day, so he didn’t have to leave Patrick alone once Paul picked up Mia. He parked in front of his building and went inside, using the stairs. When he entered the apartment, he saw Raoul and Drucilla Valdez in his living room with Patrick and Mia.

Raoul saw Adam first. Patrick eyed his father getting to his feet, then saw Adam. He jumped up and went to him, hugging his lover.

“I’m so glad you’re home.”

“I like the sound of that,’ Adam said, hugging him back. He dipped down to his ear and whispered. “Does that mean you’re staying?”

Patrick glanced up at Adam and smiled. “You’re stuck with me.”

Adam kissed him, thrilled he wanted to stay.

“Ahem,” Mia said, clearing her throat.

Adam remembered Patrick’s parents were in the room. He freed Patrick from his hold. “Sorry about that,” he said, not meaning it.

“It’s all right, Adam, this is both your home,” Drucilla said, approaching, kissing Adam on the cheek. “We’re relieved your both all right.”

“Thank you. I just came from the police stationed where the ones involved are being charged as we speak.”

“To the fullest.” Raoul added.

“Yes, to the fullest,” Adam repeated. “Here Patrick I bought cupcakes, there’s enough for everyone.”

“We won’t stay long,” Raoul said.

“Yes, we only stopped by to see for ourselves that Patrick was all right,” Drucilla said. “It’s a shame he lost your gift.”

“My gift?” asked Adam.

“My necklace,” Patrick said, losing his smile as he fingered the string on the cake box he held.

Adam didn’t want to see his smile go so soon as he reached into his pocket and removed said necklace. “You mean this?”

Patrick’s eyes lit up. “You found it?”

“Yeah,” Adam lied, not wanting to give credit to AJ who was not a popular person right now. “Here, I’ll put it on you.”

Mia took the cupcakes from Patrick as he held his curls for Adam to fasten the necklace around his neck.

Patrick touched the charm, thrilled it was back. Mia and Drucilla complimented him on how pretty it was as Raoul made eye contact with Adam, who was unsure how to read into it.

Raoul’s cell phone rang, causing the powerful man to break eye contact. He spoke for a brief moment before hanging up. He went to his wife and whispered in her ear, causing her to beam from excitement.

“What’s going on, mother?” Patrick asked.

“We all need to go downstairs. Right now,” she said.

“Downstairs, why?”

“No questions, let’s go, Adam, Mia.”

Adam didn’t argue as he followed everyone. Raoul touched his shoulder, catching Adam’s attention.

Raoul whispered. “We need to talk.”

Adam wasn’t in the mood to fight with Patrick’s father so, as Patrick, Mia, and Drucilla boarded the elevator, he and Raoul stopped.

“Pat, me and your father will take the stairs. We’ll meet you down there.”

“Raoul?” Drucilla spoke up, giving her husband a warning stare.

“It’ll be fine Drucilla, call it anticipation,” Raoul said.

“Oh, yes, of course. Mia do you mind pressing the button?”

“Sure.” Mia pressed the button as Adam watched Patrick wave as the door shut.

He stepped to the fire exit and opened the door, holding it open for Raoul, who followed. They walked down the stair side by side in silence, reaching the second floor. Adam wondered when Raoul would give him the riot act.

“First off, that woman will never see the light of day. We will place the boy in the care of a doctor who will help him come to terms with what happened,” Raoul began.

“That seems fair.”

“As for the detectives in charge of this case? What do you feel should happen to them?”

“Do I have a say?”

“I would like your opinion.”

“Why punish them when they were doing their jobs?”

“I suppose one could see it that way.”

“But you don’t. Listen, I told A—Detective Chance to stay away from Patrick.”

“Did you?”

“Mr. Valdez, the detectives are not to blame for this. They followed all the procedures.”

Raoul nodded his head as they rounded the last landing. “Very well.”

“It shouldn’t have been that easy to persuade you. What is this about?”

“It’s a diversion,” he said, walking to the door.

“A diversion from what?” Adam asked, following him out the door. He stopped in his tracks when he saw it. A brand new four-door, hardtop, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon stood before him.

“Surprise,” cried everyone except Raoul.

“What is this?” Adam asked. “Pat?”

“This wasn’t me, my parents planned it all.”

“That’s true, Adam,” Drucilla said. We couldn’t repair your jeep, so we’ve bought you a brand new one.”

“You didn’t need to do this.”

“We wanted to thank you for protecting our son. Please accept this small token. For me?” Drucilla implored.

Adam didn’t refuse Drucilla’s offer as he went to her and kissed her on the cheek in thanks.

She one upped him by embracing him and he hugged her back.

Raoul took his wife home as Paul arrived to pick up Mia. He handed Adam a care package from their mother.

“Another one?” Adam asked. “He sent one last week?”

“He went to the farmer’s market and grabbed some stuff for you,” Paul said, after greeting Patrick with a hug. “You okay?”

“Yeah, thanks, Paul.”

“Well, everyone sends their love. Mom wants you to come back for another visit.”

“I would love that. Maybe for a LARP event?”

“Hell yeah.” He turned to Mia. “We need to get going to make dinner.”

“Okay.” She hugged her friend, then Adam, and Patrick again. He slipped his old cell phone into her pocket.

He and Adam waved goodbye as Paul drove off. Once they were alone, Adam went to the jeep, the color black/ blue, and looked inside. Everything inside was top of the line. A key appeared in his line of vision.

“You’ll need this to get inside,” Patrick said.

Adam took the key as he turned to Patrick. I rather get inside you.”

“I’m all yours, Detective Potter. I love you Adam.”

“I love you more.” Adam pulled him in for a deep kiss, then pulled away.

“Adam what’s the matter?”

“Your father was going to buy my building?”

The End

This is it, come on give me some feedback. Did you love it? hate it? tell me. I enjoy writing these stories and will write more but I need to know if I'm on the right track or am I wasting my time.
Thanks for the reactions from everyone.
Be safe and keep reading and writing.
Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Thank you all for reading I hope I didn't disappoint.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Definitely on the right track...and what a great right track, that we'll gladly follow you on!! :heart: This was intriguing and hot! 🔥

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thank you for the love. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I promised when I finished with editing and publishing it. I will get to work on the next story.

😀

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I think you did a really great job.  I enjoyed this story all the way through.  Thank you and hopefully will see more from you :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks for the kind words. If it wasn't for this sight I would have never continued this story or published. I will always be grateful.

Thanks for reading.🤗

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Really great story. I admit I hesitated a little when I saw the big "Long-term hold" because I don't want to read a story without knowing whether it would end. I'm glad that it's just a technical problem and that I decided to read it. It was a great drive to follow the characters and I hope more story will come soon. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..