Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 748 Words
  • 888 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reckoning - 18. Chapter 18

Adam took Patrick and Justin to his office. “Pat, I want you to wait here for me.”

“Adam don’t leave,” Patrick’s voice cracked

“Pat,” Adam sat him down in his chair and kneed in front of him. “Stay put, Pat. Until I come back. Understand?”

Patrick nodded, dropping his eyes to his lap.

Adam raised the younger man’s chin and saw the worry on his face. “I’ll go check what’s happening next door. I promise I’ll be careful. Justin will stay with you.”

“But what if he’s there? He tried to kill you.”

“I’ll be careful.” Adam cupped his face and kissed him. A tear rolled down Patrick’s cheek as they parted. Adam brushed it away. “Don’t I always come out on top?”

Patrick chuckled at Adam’s dumb remark and shook his head. “Yes, you do.”

Adam relieved he got him to smile got to his feel. Without a word, he left the office racing downstairs, rushing out the front door and headed for the alley that stood between his and the deceased Gavin Martin building. He gazed down the alley and saw something that looked out of place. He stepped towards it when a familiar voice stopped him.

“Adam,” said AJ.

Adam stopped and turned to see the two detectives. “You followed me.”

“It’s good that we did,” said Artie. “You were driving like a madman. Care to tell us why?”

Adam wanted to tell him to get bent, but knew what he needed to share what he learned from Justin and Patrick with the police. “My assistant believes someone threw a head at our office window.”

“A head?” said AJ.

“That’s right want to see?” Adam turned to walk down the alley when Artie called to him.

“Potter, if there’s a head down there that’s a police matter.”

“Fine. After you.”

Artie took the lead as AJ and Adam followed. Below Adam’s window, laying in a puddle near a wall, a human head with spike blue hair laid face down in the water.

Patrick held his smile until the door in the reception area closed behind Adam. He released a sigh and sat back in the high back leather chair, bringing his knees up to chest. Patrick never had time to show Adam the call he received from Gavin, or at least Gavin’s phone. He doubted he even saw Gavin’s caller ID. Maybe it was all in my head, he thought. He woke up his cell and checked his recent calls. Gavin’s name sat at the top. “No, he’s dead, they’re all dead,” he almost shouted.

“You okay?” Justin asked, standing at the door.

Patrick looked up, surprised to see him. “I’m—fine. I was just talking out loud.”

“I was about to make coffee. Do you want some?”

“You’re offering me coffee?”

“Look do you want some or not?”

“I do.”

Justin walked away.

Patrick thoughts drifted back to his and Adam’s romantic evening and their kiss in the rain when he received a message. Hoping it was from Adam, he caught his breath when he saw it was Gavin.

“Why aren’t you back yet?”

He wanted to cry out, but he swallowed his fear and texted back. “Who is this?”

“Who do you think it is? Your boyfriend.”

“Whoever this is. This is not funny.”

“Don’t forget the tacos I like.”

“This needs to stop.”

“He’s waiting for you Patrick.”

“Who?”

“Adam.”

A picture uploaded of a bedroom that Patrick recognized as Gavin’s and someone on the bed under a sheet. Patrick saw a stain where the head was. Patrick’s shivered. Adam’s in danger, he thought. “I can’t wait around here,” he whispered. “I need to be sure Adam’s okay.” He stepped out of the office and saw Justin with his back to him, scooping coffee from a large can. Patrick left to find Adam when he noticed the smug on the window, He stepped closer and realized it was blood. His heart pound in his chest as he backed to the door.

Justin tried to take Adam’s advice and be civil to Patrick, but the man radiant smugness. The shock that a human’s head laying in the alley was bad. When he thought it could have been Patrick’s head cut too close to home. Not for Adam’s sanity, but for Patrick’s father, Raoul Valdez’s vengeance on everyone involved with his son’s murder. He would blame Adam and ruin him. A door slammed, startling Justin. He went to Adam’s office, finding Patrick gone.

Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Wow 1
Thank you all for reading I hope I didn't disappoint.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..