Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,020 Words
  • 455 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reckoning - 21. Chapter 21

The police blocked the street off as the forensic crew search and gathered clues. Adam took Patrick back to his office with Justin escorted by an officer. AJ and Artie gave strict orders for them not to talk about the case. Justin sat at his desk while Adam placed Patrick in his office down in one of the two chairs that sat in front of his desk. He covered him with a blanket he got from his apartment.

Patrick said nothing to no one as he stared off to nowhere.

Adam sat in the opposite chair, watching him. “What a great way to move in together,” he said, receiving no response. “Do you want me to get you anything, Pat?” When Patrick didn’t answer again, he considered leaving him alone when he turned to him.

“A drink,” Patrick said.

“Sure, we have coffee, tea…”

“No. I need a real drink.”

Adam understood his request. He went to his desk and opened the bottom draw, revealing a bottle of scotch. His brother Damien gave it to him when he returned home. He grasped the bottle and pulled out two glassed still wrapped in tissue paper. He unwrapped the glasses and opened the cap.

Patrick was on his feet walking around to Adam watching him pour the brown gold into the cup a quarter high. When done Adam raised both glassed offering one to Patrick who accepted the drink and sat on Adam’s lap.

Without words, they tasted the water of life. Adam tasted the aggressive drink that had heat when it slid down his throat.

Patrick swallowed his drink whole, savoring the smoky peat as it ran down his throat. He licked his lips as he held out his glass to Adam, who hadn’t finished his.

“Pat, we still have to talk to the detectives.”

“You’re the only detective I want to talk to. Please, one more. My nerves are shot.”

Adam considered talking Patrick out of a second drink; but knew what he saw in Gavin’s bedroom did something to him.

Patrick didn’t wait for approval as he rose and grabbed the bottle and poured a double of the drink. He grasped the glass between his fingers, ready to pick it up when Adam imprisoned his wrist with his hand. He pulled him back into his lap and in front of the guarding officer he kissed him. Patrick tasted the whisky on Adam's tongue then tasted something else pour bliss. Patrick encircled his arms around Adam’s neck and melted into his embraced.

“Such a touching moment,” said Artie Cutter walking into the room followed by AJ. Neither man looked amused.

Patrick turned to them and sighed in a huff as he rose from Adam’s warm lap and grabbed his drink, walking over to the window.

“Early for drinking,” AJ directed his statement towards Patrick who turned and locked eyes with AJ before consuming his drink in one toss. Swooshing the liquid around in his mouth before a hard swallow.

Adam closed the bottle and returned it to his draw, closing it. He wanted to get their focus off Patrick. “Do you know if the head belongs to the body?”

“That’s a police matter, Potter. You know that,” Artie said.

Adam rolled his eyes at the man who joined AJ watching Patrick.

Patrick would kill for another drink, but placed his glass down on the windowsill. He turned to the detectives in a defiant tone.

“Do you want to call your lawyer?” AJ asked.

“Why would he need to do that?” Adam asked, moving to stand beside Patrick.

“Because he and his—partner want to pin this on me.”

“Now why would we do that. Mr. Valdez?”

“Because you both fucking…”

“Now just wait.” Adam demanded, directing his comment to the detectives. “Patrick told me he saw someone with a mask watching him from Gavin Martin’s bathroom. I told him I would check it out, but I had to check the alley first.”

“Why?” asked AJ.

“He said something smacked against the window that looked like a head.”

“How did he know it was a head?”

“I can answer that,” Justin said, standing at the door. The detectives turned to him. “When it hit the window, it bounced on the fire escape. When I went to look it was about to fall off the edge so I only got a quick glimpse of it when it dropped. I thought it was Patrick.”

“You thought it was my head?” Patrick asked, disgusted.

“I panicked. I didn’t know where it came from.”

“Did you call the police?” AJ asked.

Justin grew quiet, glancing at Adam.

“He called me,” Adam said, “At the morgue.”

“So, let me get this straight,” Artie chimed in looking at Justin. “You saw a possible murdered victim and your first instinct was not to call the police but call Potter?”

“He’s a detective,” Justin said in defense.

“He’s a private detective who’s out of his jurisdiction,” AJ said, glancing at Adam.

Adam was getting fed up with being told where his authority starts and end. He glanced away from AJ’s smudge gaze and took a deep sigh.

“The officer with take your statement,” Artie said.

Justin wanted to tell Adam he was sorry, but his back was to him. He returned to his desk with the officer following.

The detectives turned their attention back to Patrick.

“We like to question you Mr. Valdez. Alone,” Artie said.

“You two are a piece of work,” Adam said.

“Don’t interfere Potter or we’ll have you arrested.”

“For what? Wanting to stay and give Patrick support. He did nothing wrong. He only found a body.”

“Last chance, Potter. Are you going to leave or do we need to arrest you both?”

“Why don’t you take yourself…”

Patrick interrupted. “It’s okay Adam,” he said, touching his arm. “I’ll answer their questions. I have nothing to hide.”

“Pat you don’t have to do this alone.”

“You’ll be right outside if I need you, right?”

“Okay,” Adam said grudgingly. He leaned down and kissed Patrick on the lips before following Artie out of the office.

Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
Thank you all for reading I hope I didn't disappoint.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..