Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,060 Words
  • 823 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reckoning - 43. Chapter 43

Adam found Justin surrounded by a cubicle curtain resting with his leg bandaged and his arm in a sling. He stepped to his assistant and friend and touched his hand. He never knew how long Justin’s lashes were, as they fluttered open. “Justin,” he said in a soft voice.

Justin opened his eyes, seeing Adam. “Hey, boss,” he smiled.

“How are you? Stupid question.”

“High.”

Adam laughed at his comment. “It’s the morphine it won’t last long.”

“Don’t bum me out.”

“Sorry.” Adam dropped his smile and scanned Justin’s injuries. “Can you remember how he got inside your place?”

“No.”

“How did you get away?”

“I did what you would do.”

“And what was that?”

“I survived.”

“I underestimated you, Mr. Shi.”

Justin made a face at Adam, addressing him as Mr. Shi.

“Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.”

“Did he get away?”

“No. He ran into me. We struggled, and he fell on his knife.”

“Do the police believe you?”

“Yes.”

“Good. So,” he said, yawning. “It’s over.”

“It seems so.”

“So now you can…” Justin became quiet and fell asleep.

“Justin?” Adam wanted him to rest and needed to fill out paperwork but didn’t want to leave him alone.

The curtains pushed aside, revealing Ethan. “Justin,” he said, rushing to the blonde’s side and taking his hand. Adam stared at him for a moment, then realized he cared for Justin.

“He just fell asleep. They gave him morphine.”

“Oh, well, you can go I’ll stay with him.”

“I need to fill out the paperwork and get him ready to go home.”

“Home? With that maniac on the lose?”

“The man who attacked him is dead. The threat should be over.”

“Good then I can take him home.”

“Justin appointed me to take care of his needs. I’ll decide how he’s cared for.”

“You’re just his boss, I’m his…”

“Tripping over your words again? Well, listen to this, I’m taking him home with me so I can take care of him until he’s able to function on his own. You, can go home.”

“I want to hear Justin tell me that.”

Adam was getting sick of Ethan’s bumping heads with him. He needed to check in with AJ. “Hey, weren’t you giving Detective Chance your statement?”

“He left me with another officer to give my statement to.”

“Why did he leave you?”

“Something about someone waking up.”

“Artie,” Adam said above a whisper. “Okay, I’ll be right back to take Justin home.” Adam left before Ethan could protest.

“Ethan,” Justin said.

********

Adam moved to the nurse’s station who gave him a touch pad to fill out the paperwork on Justin. He sat in the lounge as he tapped at the screen when a familiar voice spoke to him.

“Adam?”

He looked up. “Doctor Grieves?” he said as if something came to him.

“Are you all right,” she asked. “You looked perplexed.

“Yes, I’m fine. I’m here for a friend.”

“I hope it’s not serious.”

“No, he’s fine.”

“That’s good. Well, if you would excuse me, I have patients to see.”

“Yes, of course.” He watched her leave, and the strangest thing happened. The killer’s face popped into his head.

“Potter, what are you still doing here? Concerned about me?” said Artie, with AJ close by, walking up.

Adam noted Artie dressed. “Artie, I thought you had a boo—boo and fell asleep,” he mocked looking down at the pad.

“He had a concussion,” AJ stated. “And he should spend the night.”

“I’m fine, AJ.”

“What’s the rush Artie? I caught the killer.”

“Yeah, AJ told me what happen. How’s your assistant?”

“Justin’s fine. I’m taking him home to take care of him.”

“Home? How’s Patrick feel about that?”

“That’s none of your business.” Adam rose and returned the pad to the nurse as she passed him two prescriptions for Justin. “AJ did you ID the guy yet?”

“That’s a police matter Potter,” said Artie.

“Artie, he helped.” AJ pulled out his pad. “He had his wallet on him. His name is Daniel Hunter.”

“Any priors?”

“Petty theft, drugs, nothing to assume he would become a murderer.”

“Okay, thanks.” Adam turned to leave when AJ grabbed his arm.

“Adam, what’s wrong?”

“It’s not adding up. Why would this guy kill people connected to Gavin?”

“You think someone hired him?”

“Or recruited him.”

“Come on, Potter,” Artie said. “Isn’t it obvious? He’s another one of your boyfriends, stalkers.”

“Shut your mouth, Artie.”

“If anyone would pay for Gavin’s death, it would have been Valdez, but he’s not in danger is he?”

Adam lunged at him when AJ stepped between them.

“Adam, calm down.”

“Go ahead, side with him, I don’t give a shit,” Adam spat at him. “But I guarantee you’ll be chasing the wrong lead. Again.” Adam stormed off toward Justin’s room. When he got there, Justin and Ethan gone. A folded note marked with Adam’s name laid on the bed. He opened it and recognized Justin’s handwriting.

Adam I decided to go back to my place with Ethan, please don’t be mad. Since Patrick is moving in with you I don’t want to cause any problems for you. Justin.

Adam tossed his head back and sighed as he remembered he should call Patrick. When again someone called his name as he turned to face AJ. “AJ, I don’t have time…”

“Adam, I’m on your side and Artie will be too once you tell me your theory.”

“It’s a hunch.”

“Well, I’m listening.”

“You said the guy’s name is Daniel Hunter.”

“Yes.”

“I’ve seen him in my doctor’s waiting room.”

“Okay, when?”

“Few days ago. He was seeing her after me.”

“Are you sure it was him?”

“Yeah, pretty sure. His hair was longer, but I remember the secretary calling him Hunter.”

“Where’s your doctor’s office?”

“I have her address,” Adam pulled out his wallet and found her business card. “She said she was here seeing patients.”

AJ looked at the name on the card, and red flags flew up. “Adam, this can’t be right.”

“Why not?”

“Because the head we found in the alley belongs to an Amanda Grieves.”

Adam closed his eyes as he wrapped his head around his hunch being right. “I need something from you AJ.”

“Name it?”

“Send a car to Justin’s apartment with his prescriptions.”

“No problem. I’ll go update Artie.”

“Good idea.”

Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Thank you all for reading I hope I didn't disappoint.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..