Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,678 Words
  • 471 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reckoning - 31. Chapter 31

When the car pulled up to the manor, staff members were waiting. Carlos, their butler the same age as Raoul, clean shaven, hair trimmed and styled as a gentlemen’s gentlemen, Shilo his mother’s assistant and bodyguard stood tall, solid and lean dressed to compliment her lady Drucilla. Short full body blonde hair, her skin the color of milk, Aaron the head of security showed he came from the military with his hard features and dark eyes. He groomed his jet black wavy hair and his thin black tie hung against his well-conditioned body in a tailored made suit. Three female maids wearing the required uniform of a white shirt and black skirt with flat shoes stood in the order of their positions in the house. Mikey jumped out and opened his door for him. Before stepping out of the car, Patrick tucked the cell in his coat pocket and climbed out, holding his case of accessories that one of the maids took from him. Patrick understood her duties and didn’t make a fuse.

“Welcome home Young Valdez,” Carlos said, with a genuine smile.

“Carlos, it's good to see you.” Patrick offered his hand to shake, but Carols only gave a proper head bow. Patrick’s father taught him the correct greetings to the staff, but they were there his whole life and view them as his extended family. He looked to Shilo, who didn’t always follow the rules of etiquette. “Shilo,” he opened his arms and with a brilliant smile she hugged him and he returned the affection.

“So, good to have you home again Young Valdez.” she said, stepping back to her position beside Carlos who frowned at her behavior. But she ignored it. “Your parents are waiting for you in the green room.”

“Thank you. Aaron, I don’t see you enough,” Patrick said to the formidable man.

A smile cracked the surface of Aaron’s face as he shook his hand. “I can say that’s a good thing, Young Valdez. It means I’m doing my job. The only reason I’m here is to do a perimeter check.”

Patrick looked to the three women who wore cardigans to keep the night air out. “Cindy, Ella, and Patrice, let’s get out of this chill.”

The three beamed from Patrick, addressing them by their names followed him into the house.

Once inside Patrick watched everyone except for Shilo and one maid go back to their duties. Patrice offered to take his coat Patrick pulling his cell out of his pocket before taking off his coat thanking her turning to Shilo.

“Will you be fine going alone?” Shilo asked. “I have a pressing matter to complete for your mother.”

“I’ll be fine, thank you Shilo.”

She left him alone in the grand hall, he once used as a roller rink when it rained. He walked the hallways, he used to run along whenever he searched out his mother or father to tell them something he swore was the most amazing thing. Either finding a new flower or a rock in the garden or a new tumble, he learned from class. Now he walked and admired the keepsakes they collected from travels or gifts from friends and family. They still displayed his art work from when he was a toddler.

The house was his mother’s canvas. Every room, she decorated in a different theme or time. She did it to remember a special room, she stayed in on their travels, others to spark creativity or love. When Patrick was older, she allowed him to fashion his bedroom the way he wanted. She loved his chooses.

He entered through double doors with odd shaped tinted glass panels. Plants and windows circled the room with Sofas and chairs. A dome ceiling opened to a glass view, showing the vivid clustered sky.

His parents sat on a loveseat facing the window. Drucilla rested on Raoul’s shoulder with her eyes closed as he pressed his face against her head. His fingers danced across her exposed mahogany skin.

“Am I intruding?” Patrick asked, envious of their love. One day he and Adam will have such splendor.

“Patrick, you’re here,” Drucilla said.

Raoul stood and helping his wife to her feet and they walked over and greeted their only child, Drucilla being the first to hug him.

“Oh, it's so good to have you home.”

Raoul smoothed Patrick’s curls between his fingers as he kissed his head. “You’re not happy how I summoned you.” He whispered in his ear.

“Why didn’t you call me?”

“I did. I got your voice mail.”

Patrick realized the call came when he turned over his cell to the detective.

“It doesn’t matter, you’re here. Come have tea with us,” Drucilla said, taking Patrick’s hand and walking him to a couch with a coffee table holding a tray with the hot beverage.

Patrick sat with her, but looked at his father. “I fear tea will not suffice.”

“Don’t you think you had enough alcohol?” Raoul stated.

“I assume you watched the news today,” Patrick said, before turning to his mother.

“We did,” Drucilla responded first.

“Can you explain what you were doing?” Raoul asked.

“I view something very traumatic, and I needed something to calm my nerves.”

“That detective offered you a drink?”

“No, he suggested coffee or tea.” He looked from his father to his mother than back. “I wanted something stronger. So Adam poured me a glass—but only shot. When he left me alone—I needed more.”

“Was that bottle full?”

“It might have been. I’m not sure.”

“Raoul, don’t badger him. What was it Patrick that upset you?”

Patrick looked at his mother. He couldn’t bring himself to tell her he saw a headless body with a carving in its back saying whom was to be the next victim. “It’s not important anymore, mother. Adam was there for me, and I might have abused his generosity with the drink. But he took care of me.”

“You blurted out that you and he were a couple. Drunk,” Raoul said.

Patrick thought back and couldn’t remember saying that to anyone in the media, but Adam mentioned he was on television.

“Well, I love him and we are a couple what’s wrong with that?”

“You know what’s wrong,” Raoul snapped.

“Raoul,” Drucilla pleaded. “Patrick, you caught us blindside, not even bring him to meet us.”

“How can I? Father hates Adam. I don’t want to bring him into a hostile environment.”

“Patrick, Adam is welcome here.”

“I believe you, mother. But I need to hear it from father.”

Both turned to Raoul, who closed his eyes, turning from them. He placed his face in his hands, then pushed them through his hair. He shook his head, trying to find the words to explain to his son that the man he believes he loves is not right for him.

Patrick stood, moving around Raoul so they face one another. “Father?”

Raoul looked at his son.

“All my life you protected me and kept me out of harms way. I know you only want the best for me. I’m an adult, I have to make my own choices and face the consequences. But you don’t have to worry. Adam will be with me. You know I’ll still come for advice.”

A bright smile spread on Raoul’s face as he pulled Patrick in for a hug. “You are my greatest work. And I will never stop meddling in your life. But if Adam Potter is who you want, I won’t stand in your way.”

Patrick embraced his father overjoyed he got through to him.

They’re interrupted by Carlos rushing into the room. “I’m sorry Mr. Valdez, but there been an accident.”

Raoul stepped from his son and approached Carlos. “What happened?”

“A vehicle went off the road. Security is going there now.”

“Oh, how dreadful,” Drucilla said, coming to join them.

Patrick stepped away removing the cell phone from his pocket dialing Adam’s cell number. Adam cell rang longer than he expected. He turned and saw his parents departing with Carlos when his call got answered.

“Hello.”

Patrick started talking, unaware it wasn’t Adam. “Adam I have good news.”

“Patrick?”

“Who’s this?”

“It’s Philip.”

“Philip, why are you answering Adam’s phone?”

“Patrick, I’m sorry to tell you. There’s been an accident near the house. I tried to call you.”

“Carlos told us there been one. But why call me?”

“I’m afraid it’s Adam. But don’t worry, his injuries are minor. We’re bringing him back to the house so wait there for us.”

“Adam?”

The call ended as Patrick faced his mother, who reentered.

“Patrick, what’s wrong, you look upset?”

“I tried to call Adam. Philip answered his phone. Adam was in that accident.”

“Oh no.” Drucilla hugged him as Raoul return.

“What’s wrong?” his father asked.

Drucilla turned from Patrick. “Adam was in the accident?”

“Adam, what was he doing out there?”

“It doesn’t matter,” Patrick snapped. “I tried to call him, but Philip answered his cell and told me.”

“All right, I’ll go check it out.”

“Wait, father. Philip said they’re bringing Adam here.”

“Here? Why not to the hospital? And what was Philip doing there?”

“He said Adam’s injuries were minor. Please let them bring him here.”

“They can.” Drucilla said. Before her husband could interject, she called for their butler. “Carlos?”

Carlos entered, stopping just beside Raoul. “Yes, Miss?”

“Prepare ready a room in the east wing; inform my physician, we have an injured man coming.”

“Yes, Miss.” Carlos left and Raoul followed him.

“Carlos?”

Carlos stopped and turned to Raoul, who brought out his cell phone. “Yes, Mr. Valdez.

“Have my car brought around with a driver.”

“Right away, sir.”

“Where are you going?” Drucilla asked, standing behind him.

Raoul turned and caressed her cheek. “I need to see the site of the crash myself. Stay with Patrick.”

“Don’t be long,” she said, touching his hand.

Raoul leaned in and kissed her lips. “Wait up for me.”

Drucilla blushed at his comment as they kissed one last time before Raoul left.

Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Thank you all for reading I hope I didn't disappoint.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..