Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,012 Words
  • 1,519 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reckoning - 34. Chapter 34

Philip and Adam rode the art déco elevator down in silence. The choice of design impressed Adam. Live vegetation along the walls and ceiling and a water fountain. He viewed no soil of any kind, only water filter cylinder running through the walls.

Philip made a heavy sigh glancing at Adam. “How are you Adam?” he asked, breaking their silence and Adam’s focus on the surroundings.

Adam thought over his question, then glanced at him. “My shoulder hurts, but no headache. I’m okay.”

“Do you remember what happened?”

Adam turned his attention back to the vines before answering. “I wanted to be here when Patrick talked to his parents, concerning the reporters.”

“Yes, he announced his love for you and your intentions for him. Was his confession induced by the alcohol?”

Adam turned to him, but paused. He loves Patrick, more than he loved AJ he believed. Why was he hesitating? He opened his mouth to speak when the ride ended, and the doors opened. Adam still wanted to explain, but Philip took it as his cue and stepped off the elevator.

Adam wanted to call for Philip to stop when he stepped out of the box and eyed a most wondrous collection of vehicles he has ever seen in his life. Sport cars hovered overhead on steel platforms, three different classes of hummers, luxury sedans motorcycles. It was overwhelming as he walked behind Philip in the underground garage, his footsteps echoing as they turned a corner. Adam stumbled when his eyes locked on his 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, he bought new. Driver side bashed in, the door laid on the ground. The force of the collision pushed his back and front wheels into the frame the axle was beyond repair.

Philip turned back and marked Adam’s despondency. “That is why I asked you about your welfare.”

Adam came closer and noticed someone under the wreckage. “Who’s that?” he asked Philip.

Before Philip could answer the person rolled out wearing an oil stain tee shirt, smudged cheeks and holding a flashlight.

Adam stared at Raoul Valdez for the first time unkempt. His full body hair hung loose across his cheeks as he stood, removing a stained cloth from his back pocket. He looked from Philip to Adam as he cleaned his hands.

“You must have enemies, Mr. Potter,” said Raoul, not waiting for a response. He walked to a rolling tool cart, picking up something Adam couldn’t see.

“I don’t have enemies Mr. Valdez. Your son is and will always be safe with me.”

Raoul turned and stared at Adam, bewildered. “Well, can you explain why you would cut your own brake line?”

“My brake line?”

“Yes.” He held up the line. Or at least part of one. “Here look,” he drew his oil stained finger along the tip where the line broke. “It started here with a cut and grew until it snapped.” He gave Adam the part and stepped away. “So, if you don’t have enemies than who cut the line?”

Adam watched Raoul’s condescending gaze return as he avoided looking him in the eyes. He wondered if Patrick feels the same way when Raoul rebukes him.

“Could it have been a malfunction?” Philip chimed, coming to Adam’s defense.

“Philip someone took a knife to that line,” Raoul stated, looking back at the damage.

“Okay, there might be truth to your theory,” Adam said.

Both looked at Adam, for an explanation.

Adam rubbed his brow before pushing his hair back. “There’s been two murders connecting to Gavin Martin.”

“Isn’t he dead, Detective?” Raoul remark, not as a question.

“The police's theory is someone’s killing people who knew Gavin.”

“What?” Raoul rage was rising as he stepped up to Adam. Philip got between them, stopping his friend. “You’re telling me another nut case is out there killing for that bastard?” Raoul’s words convulse to the point of leaving an echo.

“It seems so.”

“Is my son involving.”

“He calmed he saw someone in Gavin’s bathroom.”

“What was he doing in there?”

“He wasn’t in there.” Adam knew this would not sit well with Raoul. “My bathroom window faces Gavin’s bathroom window.” He was right.

Raoul’s face tensed from the discovery as he stepped back from Philip turning his back to them. “So, what are you doing to rectify this? Detective Potter?” Raoul’s bit back hatred when he had said Adam’s title and name.

“I will protect your son.”

“He’s safer here!" Raoul snapped turning back to them. "Tell me Detective--Potter, why are you here?”

“I came to see Patrick.”

“It wasn’t that long since he last saw you.”

“You’re right. I wanted to be with him when he explain the incident with the reporters.”

"He didn't need your help."

“Surely the police are doing their job?” Philip asked, trying to change the topic.

“They are,” Adam said.

“Then let them,” Raoul interrupt. “Patrick will stay here. Until the police capture that mad man.”

“Fine,” Adam said, defeated.

“Don’t I get a say?”

Adam turned finding Patrick standing with Carlos, who held a tray with a kettle of coffee. Carlos went off to his duties as Patrick stepped to the three men he held dear to him with concern in his eyes.

“Pat,” Adam said first.

“In a safer time you would,” Raoul said. “But now your life is in danger. The safest place for you is here.”

“But I want to be with Adam. He’ll keep me safe.”

“He can’t guarantee it, can you?” Raoul said to Adam.

Adam kept his eyes on Patrick, who stopped in front of him.

“Adam, tell them you can keep me safe. You want me to come home with you?” Patrick pleaded.

He stared at the frightened man and cupped his face in his hands. “Pat. As much as I want to take you home. Your father is right. The safest place for you is here.” Adam wasn’t expecting Patrick’s reaction when he pushed away from him and ran off. “Pat,” Adam called taking chase and losing him when the elevator doors shut.

Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
Thank you all for reading I hope I didn't disappoint.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..