Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 861 Words
  • 647 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reckoning - 5. Chapter 5

Adam returned to his office feeling optimistic. He entered and found Justin being chatted up at his desk by a familiar face, but he couldn’t place the name.

 

Justin caught sight of his employer and sat back in his chair.

 

“Welcome back, boss.”

 

“Justin.”

 

The 5 foot 9 male was African descent, with a shot trim hair, sideburn, and clean-shaven his attire casual. When he rose to face him, Adam realized where he met the man.

 

“Detective Potter.” Peter’s hipster dialect’s replaced with a more elite tone.

 

“Adam, you remember Paul—from the Cave?” Justin said walking from around his desk.

 

“That’s where I met you,” Adam said. He shook Paul’s hand and eyed an impressive watch on his wrist. “Nice watch.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“How is your friend—Peter?”

 

“Not well. He’s met with an unfortunate demise.”

 

“Wow—you sound so different.”

 

“Peter and I went to college together and followed the same clicks.” He sighed, trying to remember his fallen friend. “Peter and I grew apart. We wanted different things.”

 

“Before or after Gavin Martin’s murder?” Adam asked.

 

Paul looked at Adam in contempt, but understood what he meant.

 

“Yeah, we befriended Gavin because he got the best drugs, and…”

 

“And he had a—sugar bear?”

 

“Come on, it wasn’t our fault Gavin used the little rich boy. He wasn’t a saint.”

 

“What was his name?”

 

“Adam,” Justin tried to intervene.

 

Adam ignored him, keeping his eyes on Paul. “Answer me,” he ordered.

 

“His name?” Paul racked his brain but came up blank. “Gavin called him, Pete?”

 

“Wrong. His name is Patrick.”

 

“Okay. What’s your point?”

 

“My point is you and your departed friend enabled Gavin to behave like an abusive ass to Patrick and you did nothing to stop him. Now I’ll ask you what are you doing here?”

 

Paul step back from the detective after being chewed out. He twisted his neck as he straightened his jacket. “I need your help.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because someone is trying to kill me.”

 

“Go to the police.”

 

“They can’t stop what’s coming.”

 

“And what’s that?”

 

“You’re involved with Patrick.”

 

“Answer the question.”

 

“Someone murdered Peter last night and now they’re coming after me.”

 

“Who’s coming after you?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Because he got murdered, what makes you next in line? His death could have been an accident.”

 

“Look I’m getting weird messages about my judgment day.”

 

“Maybe it’s karma.”

 

“So, you won’t help me?”

 

“I’m telling you to go to the police. They have the resources to keep you safe.”

 

“But the message said to find you.”

 

“What message?”

 

Paul pulled out his phone and searched for the message he mentioned. He had trouble finding the message as Adam grew impatient.

 

“It was here, I swear it,” Paul said, scrolling through his messages.

 

Adam turned his back dragging his hand across the back of his neck considering calling the cops himself to get rid of the man.

 

Paul spotted Adam’s disinterest and advanced him lowering his cell he grasped his arm and turned him to face him.

 

“I’m not lying. The messaged said for me to live, I had to find you.”

 

Adam yanked his arm free. “Why would it say that?”

 

“Unsure, I was hoping you could figure it out.”

 

“There’s a 1,500 dollar retainer.”

 

“Done. Do you take checks?”

 

“I prefer cash.”

 

“Fine, I’ll get it and bring it by tomorrow.”

 

“Okay, I’ll have my assistant draw up the papers for you to sign. Is there anything else?”

 

“No. That will do I’ll see you tomorrow. Goodbye, Detective.”

 

“Goodbye.”

 

Paul turned to Justin and smiled. “Goodbye Justin.”

 

“See you tomorrow, Paul.” Justin stood and moved to open the door.

 

Paul stepped past him into the hallway.

 

Justin watched as he moved to the elevator and boarded, When he closed the door, he turned to find Adam going into his office. Since he shut his door Justin stepped in, finding his boss sitting behind his desk staring at an unopen file.

 

“You don’t want to help him,” Justin said.

 

Adam looked up at him and sighed. “Part of me don’t. He and his friend along with Gavin demean Patrick. Why would I want to help him?”

 

“It’s the right thing to do.”

 

“You answered my question. Patrick can’t find out it might upset him. Make sure you give him an appointment to avoid Patrick running into him.”

 

“I’ll send him a text.”

 

“Good. Draw up the paperwork so I can review them before I leave for the evening.”

 

“I’m on it, boss.” Justin shut the door behind him. Adam wanted to see Patrick that minute, but he needed to set up his investigation for tomorrow. Instead, he sent Patrick a quick text telling him to have a nice day, and that he loved him.

Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Wow 1
Thank you all for reading I hope I didn't disappoint.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The word you were looking for is 'clique'

pet of  me don't – part of me doesnt'

Edited by Will Hawkins
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..