Jump to content
    Tallguyct
  • Author
  • 3,991 Words
  • 924 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Russia - My Home - 43. Chapter 43 On The Road - Adventures

Summer 1959 -

Adam prepared a special dinner for Vlad and Reg the evening prior to their four week road trip to ‘See the USA’ or at least parts of it. Since Reg’s retirement in March he had visited and stayed with Vlad in Cleveland about half of the time.

They arranged their departure so they would be in Nashville, America’s country music capital, on a Saturday night. While neither Reg nor Vlad were country music enthusiast they wanted to attend a broadcast of the ‘Grand Old Opry’ that would include the country music comedian, Minnie Pearl. After Nashville they would visit Kansas City, Cheyenne, The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Park, The Cody Wyoming Rodeo, Mount Rushmore, Milwaukee, Chicago and the historic Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, in Dearborn near Detroit. They would visit fifteen states: Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois Indiana and Michigan. In addition to the many historic and scenic locations they visited Vlad and Reg did have some interesting adventures.

On the morning of their fourth day on the road about an hour after departing Nashville they were still discussing the performance of the thirteen year old girl from eastern Tennessee. Dolly Parton’s first Opry performance had received three encores. They stopped for gas on the road to Kansas City. At the exit to the gas station a young man was standing at the curb attempting to hitchhike west bound. Vlad thought it would be interesting to talk to a real mid-westerner so he walked over to him and asked where he was going. “San Francisco” was the reply. Vlad continued their conversation at the roadside and discovered this personable young man was from Eastern Tennessee, had been on the road for two days having one night slept in a shed behind a church and the next night on a picnic table in an open sided covered shelter in a small town park. At 5:00 in the morning a policeman woke him and told him to ‘get moving’. Vlad told him they could take him as far as Cheyenne which was probably the closest they would be to San Francisco. The new friend introduced himself as Randy Jones and thanked him for the offer. Vlad knew Reg well enough to know that he would be willing to accept Randy as a traveling companion for a couple of days.

Randy was introduced to Reg and after hearing that Randy had been on the road two days and slept in a shed and on a picnic table he told Randy and Vlad he would return in five minutes and suggested they both use the bathroom. When Randy and Vlad returned from using the small bathroom separately Reg had a baloney sandwich and carton of milk he had purchased at the small restaurant next to the gas station. “Randy, you must be hungry. We don’t plan to stop for lunch for a couple of hours.” When he gave him the food Randy protested and offered to pay for it. Reg said: “Randy, do you read the Bible?” Randy replied that he went to church every Sunday. “Well, then just think of Vlad and me as your ‘Good Samaritans’.” Vlad had never heard Reg quote the Bible before and knew he had no interest in religion except for the social aspect of attending church. But he realized Reg was doing this so their new friend would be willing to accept their hospitality.

Randy got into the back seat and finished the food quickly. Vlad turned around to ask him a question and saw him stretched out on the back seat, sound asleep. Vlad studied this thin young man with light brown hair and started to have thoughts that he tried to suppress as he would never do anything with someone unless they truly wanted to do something. Reg and Vlad did not talk, they just listened to the radio as Reg drove about two hours. They pulled off the road and both got out and pissed. Vlad then drove for about two hours. Randy slept soundly the four hours they traveled since being picked up.

Randy was still sleeping at noon so they continued another hour. Stopping at a small café Vlad gently shook Randy’s shoulder. He woke with a start and appeared agitated. Finally he realized where he was and immediately calmed down. Over lunch they each began telling their life stories. When Randy insisted he pay for his own meal Reg told him that since he would need all his available money to get settled in San Francisco they would pay all his expenses. Reg suggested he keep track of the amount spent on him and send a repayment after he had settled in and had a job. Randy accepted this offer and took a small notebook out of his pocket. He recorded the cost of his lunch and would continue to keep track of his debt. After each used the bathroom separately they continued toward Kansas City.

As they drove away Vlad began telling Randy his history. He did this to ‘break the ice’ as he assumed Randy would be more willing to tell about his background when he knew the others better. As soon as Vlad started talking Randy began asking questions. Vlad told about growing up in Moscow and riding the streetcars with his father omitting the shower scene at the tram depot. Vlad continued with his study of German, friendship with the teacher, serving in the Soviet army as an aide to the General and attending war meetings presided over by Stalin. Randy was awestruck and commented more than once that he was riding with a ‘commie’. Vlad then told about his assignment in Berlin and spying for the Americans, then escape, work at the Pentagon and meeting Reg at church. He continued telling how Reg had welcomed him into his home and encouraged him to attend George Washington University and continue his studies at Western Reserve where he received a doctorate and then eventually became a professor.

They had traveled almost three hours during this discussion having stopped for gas, used the bathrooms separately and then had ice cream cones in a small town. When Vlad told how Reg had encouraged him to attend the university Randy replied: “Wow! Not only am I traveling with a ‘commie’ but also a university professor.”

Randy appeared to be at ease and began his story. He had grown up in the small town of Frog Creek in Eastern Tennessee near the North Carolina border. His father was a plumber who had a steady job working for a construction company. His father assumed he would be a plumber. Randy had worked with his father during busy times. His mother was a hairdresser working out of their home. She had a few steady customers, none of which could pay much for permanents, haircuts and washes. His mother assumed he would get married as soon as he graduated from high school. She constantly asked him when he would start dating and was always trying to fix him up with what she considered to be an eligible girl. Many mothers in the small town were encouraging their daughters to go after him. He was considered a good find since he had the prospects of a good job in plumbing, did not drink and make a nuisance of himself in town, attended church every Sunday and had never had a problem with the police.

However, he did not agree with his parents’ plans but he never questioned them. What he wanted to do was to attend college and become a teacher in a town larger than Frog Creek. Every time he attempted to discuss college with his parents they just laughed. His father told him that he was wasting his time finishing high school and that he had all the education he needed to be a plumber. His father had quit school when he was twelve years old and worked on the family farm and began working for a plumber when he was seventeen.

As far as girls were concerned he only saw them as a hindrance in getting the education he wanted. He had never had a serious date, had never kissed a girl on the lips or felt a tit or pussy as every other boy in Frog Creek bragged about. He had taken girls to the movies but only when his and her mother arranged the outing. He took dance lessons after school only because his mother forced him to. Most of the boys took the lessons which surprised him until he discovered they were using the lessons as an opportunity to hold the girls tight, look down their blouses and press hard dicks against them which some girls really enjoyed and encouraged.

He graduated high school with the highest grades in his class which was no great achievement because few in his class of fifteen really cared about studying. He only knew two other students who took their studies seriously. One, Betty Greystone, and he studied together. He really did not like her as a person. She was very bossy. When he completed eighth grade at the junior high school wing of the county school there were about thirty in his class. Half of them stopped attending on the day they turned sixteen which was the age at which boys and girls were no longer required by law to attend school. Three of the graduates in his class were planning to attend college: Betty and two others from families that encouraged further education. He had mentioned college to his parents many times and finally gave up.

He did not play any sports and had no real friends. He did hang out with the boys his age. But mostly he preferred to be alone. He took long bike rides just to be alone and see something different. He went to the small town library every week and read Time magazine, the only source of information in Frog Creek about the outside world. An issue of Time had an article about young author Jack Kerouac which mentioned his book On the Road. The librarian was his friend. He was the only boy his age that showed any interest in reading. She acquired the book for the library and he was intrigued and mesmerized by this novel based on the travels of Kerouac and his friends. He began fantasizing about going on the road himself and getting out of Frog Creek. Another article he read mentioned Allen Ginsberg, the poet. Ginsberg who grew up in Brooklyn had moved to San Francisco. His poem, Howl, describe various forms of love including love between men. When Randy asked the librarian to acquire works of Ginsberg he was told that the library would never include obscene material in its collection. He read other articles about the beat generation and ‘The Beatniks’ and their life styles in San Francisco. He identified with the beatniks more than his school mates in Frog Creek.

Reg announced that they were about a three hour drive from Kansas City. Since it was now late afternoon they should find a place to stay. Driving through rural Missouri most of the small towns and villages did not have hotels or motor courts. While driving through one small town they saw a sign for the Luxor Hotel. Reg inquired as to what type of room they could have for three people. Since all of the rooms either had one double bed or two single beds the best option would be to put a small cot in a double bed room as the rooms with single beds were not large enough for an extra bed. Their room had a sink for washing. The toilet was down the hall and also down the hall in a separate room was a bathtub. There was no shower. When they returned to their room after having dinner in a restaurant across the street from the hotel the cot which was very narrow had been set up in the room. Reg asked Randy if it was OK if he slept in the cot that was not only narrow but when sat on extremely hard. Randy looked at the cot and said; “Last night I slept on a picnic table, the night before in a mice infested shed. That cot looks like total luxury.”

Reg asked Randy if he had a clean shirt and underware. “No.” Then Reg took out a pair of his silk maroon boxer shorts and a clean shirt and gave them to Randy.

“You may borrow these. You are probably closer to the size of skinny me than Vlad. Since we will visit Cheyenne for two days we should have time to get laundry done.”

Randy fingered the smoothness of the silk shorts. “I never thought a man would wear underware so soft. Wearing these will make me feel very sexy. Since I probably smell from my days on the road, if you do not mind I will take my bath first.”

Reg replied with a smile, “You are correct. Please do.” Randy left the room carrying the silk boxer shorts and an A undershirt Reg had loaned him.”

As soon as Randy left the room Vlad said he wanted to see how much money Randy had. He took the wallet he had left on the night stand and opened it. It contained about $40, while a large sum in 1958 it certainly was not enough to take a person cross country. Vlad then noticed the driver’s license and was shocked to see the name on the license was not Randy Jones but Robert Johnson. Both Reg and Vlad were alarmed. Who was this person? What other lies had he told them? Was he a fugitive from the law? A murderer? Why had he lied? At least the home town, Frog Creek, had not been a lie. They agreed to be careful with their money and car keys until they knew the truth about Robert a/k/a Randy.

Randy returned from the bathroom wearing only the maroon silk boxer shorts and A shirt. “These feel so nice. Thank you Reg!” There appeared to be a slight bulge and both Reg and Vlad wondered if it was from just jerking off or the feel of the silk.

Vlad and Reg then took separate baths. They could have both left the room with one using the toilet and the other the bath but decided not to leave Randy alone and to be vigilant over their money and car keys.

Vlad then asked Randy if he would like to borrow a book. He had brought three books on the road trip: Goldfinger, Ian Fleming seventh James Bond adventure; Hawaii, James Michener’s epic tale and Tennessee Williams’ Suddenly Last Summer, the story of Sebastian’s violent death and his mother’s attempt to hide the reason for the death which hinted at his homosexuality. Randy selected the shortest, Tennessee Williams’ one act play. Randy finished it at about the same time all were ready to go to sleep. They all wore underware to bed: Reg in his midnight blue silk boxers, Vlad in white Jockey brand briefs and Randy with the maroon silk boxers. This would be the first time since meeting twelve earlier that the two men were not naked when in bed together.

The next morning when Vlad asked Randy what he thought about the play, Suddenly Last Summer the boy from the mountains of eastern Tennessee replied: “That mother would certainly be at home in Frog Creek with her thoughts about her son.”

Getting an early start they were in downtown Kansas City by mid-morning. Reg had researched the city prior to their departure and suggested a museum and historic site to be visited. After visiting the Kansas City Museum and Planetarium they went to a nearby restaurant for lunch. Vlad: “Randy, would you please pass the catsup?”

Randy gave him a strange look as if in a daze and then passed the catsup. “I have a confession to make. I lied to you about my name and when you said ‘Randy’ I didn’t immediately realize you were talking to me. When I left home I decided I would never tell any strangers I met on my trip my real name. It just seemed to make me feel safer to hide my name from strangers. When I met you yesterday you were strangers. You are no longer strangers. In fact you are better friends than I have ever had. My name is actually Robert Johnson and I am called Rob. That I swear is the only lie I have told you.”

Reg and Vlad hid their feelings of relief as they did not want Rob to know Vlad had snooped in his wallet. Reg then said: “That was a good idea. Unfortunately, when you travel you should NEVER trust a stranger. A thief could act as your best friend while plotting to steal from you. I hope you have hidden your money as well as you have hidden your identity.”

“Don’t worry. It is well hidden where no one, hopefully, would find it. I keep more money in my wallet than necessary to make it look like that is all I have. If I only had a small amount like $3.00 a robber would assume I had more and search for it.”

Immediately after lunch they visited Kansas City’s largest bookstore in an attempt to purchase poetry by Allen Ginsberg. They were given the same reply that Rob had received when he asked his home town library to acquire it: “We do not sell obscene material.” Not being able to purchase any of Ginsberg’s material only increased Rob’s desire to read it. If they were not able to purchase Ginsberg books prior to their return Reg was positive Roland, their bookstore manager friend in Cleveland, would obtain it if he did not already have it in his personal library at home. Following afternoon sightseeing in Kansas City and a hearty steak dinner at the famous (but closed in 2014) The Golden Ox they found a place to stay just west of the city. Both that night and the following night in rural Nebraska they stayed in motor courts where they were able to have rooms with two double beds and a private bathroom. Both nights Reg and Vlad shared one bed and Rob slept alone in the other. Reg and Vlad were positive Rob was gay. However, they did not want to push the issue and just let ‘things’ happen. So far they had avoided being naked in front of each other. Vlad and Reg refrained from any sexual activity in bed. They just snuggled under the covers.

As they drove Rob became more animated telling more about his life in Frog Creek. After leaving the motor court in Nebraska he sat in the back seat reading Michener’s Hawaii for about two hours. After a stop for gasoline and pisses Reg suggested he ride in the front seat while Vlad drove.

“There was another reason why I wanted to leave Frog Creek. I have never told this to anyone. No one would believe me. Pastor Jenkins of the Frog Creek's Church of the Word of Jesus is also principal of our combined junior and senior high school. When I was fourteen he asked my mother if it was OK with her if I came to the church one Saturday afternoon to help him set up the sanctuary for a special service scheduled the following day. She of course said yes and told me to work hard and do whatever the Pastor asked. We had moved a few pieces of furniture when he told me he wanted to show me something. He took me to his small church office and took a pile of pictures out of his desk. He told me he had found them in the trash can and was shocked that anyone in Frog Creek would have such disgusting pictures. The first was of a naked man with a big dick. The next was a woman sucking a dick. There were pictures of men and women in many kinds of sex acts. Most of the pictures were of men alone or doing things with other men. I had been jerking off in secret for at least two years after learning about the fun of doing it from some older boys once when we were swimming in a secluded area along Frog Creek. The pictures made me hard and Pastor Jenkins put his hand on me.”

Rob continued to describe what the Pastor did. Reg and Vlad were relieved when they realized it had only been the Pastor sucking off the boy as he jerked himself to completion.

“When we finished organizing the furniture the Pastor gave me fifty cents and told me not to tell anyone what had happened. He also told me that he wanted me to help every week. He also told me I should keep the money for myself and not tell anyone where it came from. I went home and put the fifty cents in my piggy bank. The next week I worked at the church and again came home with fifty cents. Until last week I continued to do it. Sometimes it was in the church and sometimes at the school where Pastor Jenkins was Principal Jenkins. I would be called to his office in the middle of the school day. He would lock the door. I would again go home with fifty cents. He told me that if I ever told anyone I would not be believed and that he would cause trouble for me. I realize now he had selected me because I was the quiet boy who did not have many friends. He hired me in the summer to mow the school law and help the janitor clean the building. I was paid about double what I should expect to be paid. He told me to keep half the money for myself and tell my mother about the other half. I give that half of my earnings to my mother. I know I got special treatment at school. One time there was a trip to Memphis where we stayed overnight on the campus of Rhodes College while visiting historic sites. My parents did not want to spend the money to send me. Principal Jenkins visited our house and told my mother that I could travel for free since I had done so much work for the school. In Memphis he arranged for us to share a room. I began to hate the man. There was nothing I could do. By the time I was sixteen I decided to save the money and use it to escape Frog Creek as soon as I graduated from high school. And that is what I did.”

Rob was crying by the time he finished. Reg said: “Rob, you did nothing wrong. That man is evil. You were powerless. People like him do that so they can control something. He is probably insecure. You mentioned his wife. He probably cannot do it with his wife or he is such a jerk that she does not want it. He needs someone to control so uses an innocent child. That man should be whipped and sent to jail. You are safe with us. Sex is a wonderful act of love. But there are two rules in sex: first, never do anything that the partner does not want to do and second, never do anything that harms anyone physically or emotionally. Asshole Jenkins broke both those rules and should have his balls cut off. Sex can be a wonderful experience.”

Rob then asked: “Have either of you ever been sexually involved with someone?”

Copyright © 2017 Tallguyct; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..