Could you save a life?

MikeL

We have all walked by the Red Cross sign in airports indicating where a heart machine is located. Do you know what is in them and how to use it? I did not. Try this video and see what you think. If you pick the wrong choice, the man dies. Choose wisely; you may save a life...maybe mine.

http://www.heartrescuenow.com/

• Like 3

• Site Administrator

I've learned how to do CPR (and the ever changing protocols) since High School. Also seen video's on AED's use, but never seen one except in a hockey rink. Good reminder to take a look around at the surroundings maybe a bit more.

• Like 1

Well, you never know what you'll learn next on GA. Thanks Mike.

It really brought home to me how a challenging and frightening situation can sometimes be resolved with relative ease when you make that resolution to be involved.

• Like 1

My work has one on every floor and trained people to use it (three per floor). Thanks for the video link, now I know how to use it if the situation ever arises (I pray it doesn't).

• Like 1

I too have been trained in CPR and First Aid, but it's always good to have a reminder. Plus this is valuable information for those who haven't had the training. Thanks for sharing, Mike. Great idea.

• Like 1

Every city employee is required to take this training, and there's a machine on every floor of every city building.

I'm considering a DNR order (do not resuscitate). Just kidding, Kase.

This is a great video to share. Even people trained with CPR, can panic when the time comes to actually act. Going through drills and practicing will help but you never know how someone will react. I have a habit of looking for emrg exits and if there is an AED when I go places. There are lots of them in publics (more than people would expect with them being added in the last few years) Posted Image

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

Oh we don't "ignore him"? Man this is hard.

I wasn't going to mention this, but since you opened it up Yang :P

A sad fact is if the person wasn't as well dressed and clean cut, probably the majority of people would have just ignored him :(

• Site Moderator

The County I work for bought several of these units a couple of years ago. There is one located in my department. They were supposed to do some training on them, but never have. I'm responsible for doing the monthly check on the unit, checking to see that all supplies are there and that the battery level is good. The supplies include a face mask for doing mouth to mouth and razor.

Well, it sounds silly for me to post here since I am almost a doctor, but seeing other doctors post... I too know how to use those and am trained in First Responder Training as well as ATLS. I had my First Responder Training under Prof. Dr. Bernard Jaffe, MD from Tulane University Emeritus Professor of Surgery, US, a good man; especially so since he travels even at his age, all the way to third world countries of SE Asia, to help train us in this field. I am sorry to say, we had no idea in this field before med school. It is not as well taught in India or most of SE Asia as in the west. So, no high school or office training as such. People like Prof. Jaffe is trying hard to change that. Hats off to that! Thank you Mikel for bringing this into notice! Hugs and Chocolates, everybody!

I've recently re-certified. All NHS staff have to be certified in basic adult CPR (even our cleaners and tradesman are certified).

Since I work in a busy children's department, I've decided to take the advanced CPR course which covers children's and maternal (pregnant women) cardiac arrests.

Err, recently did a first aid course as part of my new job training and they just vaguely mentioned this. There aren't any on my office floor either, no idea why :S

On the other hand, regarding CPR - we were told that it's a 1 in 20,000 chance of saving someone, so don't expect much but try just in case because you're that person's only chance.

Been a red cross menber and CPR certified 1990, all of my high school swim team took the courses together as freshman and made sure to keep certified. I was a lifeguard for awhile too, and many jobs over the years required certification. I've had to use it, a few times, both first aid training and CPR, Its a good thing to know and keep current on.

I didn't know they existed..

But then again I'm yet to see a person have a heart attack at the airport.

I don't know where in Sweden you live, but the government has been really adamant in spreading these "hjärtstartare" (heart starters) around in public areas. There are about 6000 of these around Sweden and most work places gives training in how they work and what to do.

Absolutely! :D You know I was under this false impression before a doctor friend corrected me. Lol. I thought that when you do compressions you were really aiming to pump blood to the brain. But then I was informed that you were REALLY trying to keep the HEART alive and prevent subendocardial ischemia. Sure the brain gets blood too...but if it were the brain you trying to save then the 20-30 minutes they tell you to do it for before quitting if no sign of life would be pointless. Brain would be dead long before 30 mins. :)