US Dialect Map. How Do You Speak?

TetRefine

This is a cool quiz that determines what region best fits your linguistic dialect. 

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

Of course, I'm a pure-bred, through-and-through Yankee and got Worcester, Springfield, and Newark. :P Doesn't get any more Northern than that. 

• Like 3

• Site Administrator

I'm a true blue Western New Yorker.  :)  The strongest correlation was Buffalo (where I'm from) and Rochester, with Grand Rapids thrown in. 

Though pretty much a cosmo speaker in general, but it turns out I resemble a New Yorker the most..., how ironic.

EDIT: took the test again, now I am a San Joser.  LOL

Edited by Ashi
  • Like 1

Anyways, we should have something like "Do you speak Californian?"  Quiz or something similar.  Or do you speak Silicon Valley or do you speak like a San Franciscan....  LOL

• Site Administrator

Anyways, we should have something like "Do you speak Californian?"  Quiz or something similar.  Or do you speak Silicon Valley or do you speak like a San Franciscan....  LOL

I'm sure something like that is already in existence.  They have quizzes for everything! LOL 

No real surprise here. I got Irving, Garland (both Dallas suburbs), and Springfield, Mo. Having spent the majority of my life in the Dallas area, this seems pretty logical. Not sure about Springfield though.

Mine was Shreveport, Jackson & Birmingham. I was born in Vicksburg, MS, but have lived in Texas, Arizona, California, Indiana, Florida, Oklahoma, and Mississippi.  Mostly Texas though - twenty or so of thirty seven years.

I'm pegged at Grand Rapids, Fort Wayne or Cleveland. I grew up a 50 minute drive away from Cleveland. It was my answer to the question of what the space between the road and the sidewalk was called. I answered, tree lawn, and that got me. Drinking fountain matched the other cities but all firmly place me in the Great Lakes area of the Mid-west. Very clever.

edit to add: This reminds me of the scenes in Blade Runner somewhat. I wonder if there were any facial tells when I answered the questions that might have further pinned me down.

Edited by Ron

I got Philadelphia, Rochester, and Newark. Shocker.

This is a girl from Delaware doing an accent test, and since she doesn't sound Slower Lower to me, this has to be close to what my accent sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO31RnLlmew

Interestingly enough, go down like 40 miles South in the state, and you got the Slower Lower Delaware Accent:

You can pretty easily tell if someone is from Northern Delaware or Slower Lower Delaware. Central Delaware (which is Dover and Smyrna) is a toss-up, naturally.

I think the north Delaware accent is mainly just a slowed down, monotone version of the Philly accent. I don't do the "crown", "wooder", or "crick" thing. I do the Delaware accent when I say "home" or "on", though.

Edited by methodwriter85

Grand Rapids MI, Detroit MI and Buffalo NY.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

...is grammatically correct and actually means something: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo

AND NOW I SEE THE LETTERS IN THE WORD BUFFALO AND THEY DON'T MEAN ANYTHING

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

...is grammatically correct and actually means something: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo

You just broke my brain. :/  LOL 

• Like 1

Holy crud, thats both mind blowing and weird :/

i am obviously not from the US.  I am generally considered to have a soft Australian accent (ie a more British version of Australian).  So when I do this "test" it gives me Minneapolis/St Paul, Detroit and Yonkers. intriguing!