Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

11 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

Today's discussion has been the best forum discussion in quite a while.  I too miss the great forum posts of the past and I think it's not only the fact that we can post and discuss more in the comments on the chapters, but also the fact that so much goes on in chat now.  I've avoided the chat because I don't react that spontaneously and usually try to think before I actually respond.  In chat, when you wait, the moment has passed and it's no longer relevant. 

I don’t go into chat at all because I’d never be able to keep up with all that.

• Like 5
35 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

We can always discuss those 9" pies you were talking bout yesterday...:whistle:

LOL... oh man yes we could..hehe

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

It shows me mistakes to avoid and good things to emulate

I find it difficult to switch off that part of my brain when I'm reading anything now.  ;) But yes, it is a very good way of self-improvement.  :)

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator
3 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

The beauty of the thread conversations is they're not as fast paced as those in chat. It's easier to catch up.

Very true. I came to the conversation late, so I had a lot of catching up to do. 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, spikey582 said:

Carlos is sitting there reading this book thinking “man Hemingway was such an amateur.  Get good noob!”

thankfully writing styles have changed since his time

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

thankfully writing styles have changed since his time

This is actually why it’s difficult for me to read older novels.  Writing has evolved so much in the last 50 years.  Storytelling has gotten a lot better.  So it’s hard to engage with older stories where the do all this telling and never showing.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

yeah it's hard to read them.  someone asked me for an opinion of their work the other day.  i read what i could but it was just an info dump ... myself i think we should use both showing and telling, but not 7 pages worth of telling...its just dull.   I'll just skim it all  ... well you can use too many words, imo. 

Hopefully you said, try showing and not telling.  I always tell new writers to provide info through action and dialogue.  That makes it so much better.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
Just now, spikey582 said:

Hopefully you said, try showing and not telling.  I always tell new writers to provide info through action and dialogue.  That makes it so much better.

yeah i did... gave some suggestions... 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, spikey582 said:

Yes! Being blind, I see in pictures, and not words. This is so important.

• Like 1
  • Love 4