Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

@frosenblum

Between retirement planning and the Holocaust, I'm happy to see what I write reflected in other media.

I think the human race advances at different speed, and some of our fellow Earthlings are mired in the past unable to adapt. Antisemitism's always been about fear. So called Christians tend to blame society's ills on those different from themselves, be it racially, religiously, or sexually. My goal with the CJ series all along has been to imagine a better world where we acknowledge our differences without vilifying those who are not like us.

Let's hope we can reach that point before we repeat the errors of the past.

• Love 4

Thank you all for the well wishes.  I realized last night that I don’t really need the pain meds anymore already.  It’s been 2 days.  This seems to be average for me from past experience.  I did take some to sleep, however, because the wrist itches and the meds stop that.  I was able to sleep, except when the dog tried to push me off the bed!  And she weighs all of 12 pounds!  Oh, well.  She loves to cuddle Mommy, so I guess I’ll put up with her!  Now off to the dentist!

• Like 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

@frosenblum

Between retirement planning and the Holocaust, I'm happy to see what I write reflected in other media.

I think the human race advances at different speed, and some of our fellow Earthlings are mired in the past unable to adapt. Antisemitism's always been about fear. So called Christians tend to blame society's ills on those different from themselves, be it racially, religiously, or sexually. My goal with the CJ series all along has been to imagine a better world where we acknowledge our differences without vilifying those who are not like us.

Let's hope we can reach that point before we repeat the errors of the past.

It’s not just Christians.  Think of the atrocities being committed in the name of Allah all over the world.  People fear the different.  They don’t/won’t try to understand the ‘others.’  That’s the sad thing.  Then there are those who look for someone to blame for all the bad things in their lives and those who exploit those emotions for their own purposes and power grabs.  Unfortunately, greed and narcissism are a part of the human psyche and some have it in stronger proportions, whether intentional or not.  Most people are able to control those desires, but some let those emotions control them, although they deny it.

• Love 1
  • Sad 4
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Happy Festivus, Everyone!

Happy 63rd birthday to my brother, Sal.

And a happy 25th to CJ!

CJ @ 25.jpg

Feliz, Navidad, Bon Nadal etc.  have a good holiday time, Carlos.. may your writing juices be stimulated by a succulent turkey, duck, goose or whatever.  
tomorrow night Europe’s biggest seafood eaters (the Spanish plus me) will gorge themselves.  Prices today: $360 for a kilo of best ones.  I bought early, thank goodness.  
I wonder what CJ ETC will be eating?  Could be a short story, perhaps 🤔 

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, Gary L said:

Feliz, Navidad, Bon Nadal etc.  have a good holiday time, Carlos.. may your writing juices be stimulated by a succulent turkey, duck, goose or whatever.  
tomorrow night Europe’s biggest seafood eaters (the Spanish plus me) will gorge themselves.  Prices today: $360 for a kilo of best ones.  I bought early, thank goodness.  
I wonder what CJ ETC will be eating?  Could be a short story, perhaps 🤔 

I did toy with the idea of a short Christmas story, but when I started outlining, it ballooned out of proportion. They're all in Washington for the holidays, but I'm not sure what they're doing for CJ's birthday tonight. He likes lamb best so...

Like any self-respecting family with Caribbean roots, Noche Buena means roast port, white rice, and black beans. Christmas will likely be ham or a big roast, and on Boxing Day (as seen in Cadet) they'll spend a chunk of the day at Jose Andres' World Central Kitchen.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Carlos Hazday said:

I did toy with the idea of a short Christmas story, but when I started outlining, it ballooned out of proportion. They're all in Washington for the holidays, but I'm not sure what they're doing for CJ's birthday tonight. He likes lamb best so...

Like any self-respecting family with Caribbean roots, Noche Buena means roast port, white rice, and black beans. Christmas will likely be ham or a big roast, and on Boxing Day (as seen in Cadet) they'll spend a chunk of the day at Jose Andres' World Central Kitchen.

The pork sounds wonderful.  I must look up some recipes. Thanks

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 12/12/2022 at 6:47 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

Wholeheartedly agree. I picked on Christians because Germany was a Christian nation when they embraced Hitler.

I have no plans for a story covering the end of 2022, but if something changes I'll be picking on Muslim fundamentalists and Qatar specifically. International organizations granting competitions to countries like that, China, or Russia should be lambasted.

Someone told me I should respect their religious traditions, and I say fuck that. Not when they kill people for not conforming.

Also, the Indian government persecuting Muslims. And the Taliban women. It's a powerful contribution each of us can make when we foster hope and treat people with kindness and respect.

• Like 1

Way back in Cadet, Ritchs take a picture of the Anchorage skyline. I got a laugh out of that. Not only is there nothing I'd call a skyline in Anchorage, but no place Ritch could have easily got to take such a picture. Here's a current photo of the "Anchorage skyline" from a Washington Post article from last April. 

image.png.02913b83d3f90c60bd53a202946773be.png

• Haha 2
On 12/23/2022 at 1:54 PM, frosenblum said:

Also, the Indian government persecuting Muslims. And the Taliban women. It's a powerful contribution each of us can make when we foster hope and treat people with kindness and respect.

Afghanistan and Iraq are in the news these days, but persecution of women in Muslim countries isn't anything new. One more example how religion is used to oppress certain groups.

• Like 2
On 12/25/2022 at 1:27 PM, frosenblum said:

Way back in Cadet, Ritchs take a picture of the Anchorage skyline. I got a laugh out of that. Not only is there nothing I'd call a skyline in Anchorage, but no place Ritch could have easily got to take such a picture. Here's a current photo of the "Anchorage skyline" from a Washington Post article from last April. 

Yeah, when looking at skyline pictures while writing, I counted less hand a dozen tall buildings, but the mountains in the background were majestic. :)

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Don't suppose we could get a bonus on the 3rd to celebrate my 65th.

LOL... and have everyone complain when I skip posting on a Friday? I'm scared of pitchforks.

Plan is to post a short prologue and chapter 1 on the 1st. Then, a chapter each Friday for the rest of January.

I also have a different story ready to go. That one will post in February. Working on something for March, but not sure I can get it done in time.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

LOL... and have everyone complain when I skip posting on a Friday? I'm scared of pitchforks.

Plan is to post a short prologue and chapter 1 on the 1st. Then, a chapter each Friday for the rest of January.

I also have a different story ready to go. That one will post in February. Working on something for March, but not sure I can get it done in time.

Do you ever relax?  Not that I’m complaining, of course…..🤗

• Haha 5
15 minutes ago, Gary L said:

Do you ever relax?  Not that I’m complaining, of course…..🤗

Writing's therapy. Some days, I end up editing (my own work or others') instead of writing, but my mind seldom stops planning. I'm currently working on Capitol Hill, which chronicles Owen's parents visiting Washington and their initial stay at Everhope.. The previous time they'd seen each other was Christmas 2020 (Ripper Christmas) and there may be lingering tensions where Pam Liston's concerned.

However, Prime dropped season four of Jack Ryan this month, and now I have the urge to write about politics and espionage. James Bond, Jason Bourne, Jack Ryan, and CJ Abello... I should have named my guy John or Jeff to have another first name starting with a J. :P

• Haha 5

(…thought that segment sounded familiar…)  :gikkle:

I hope you had a Merry Christmas, although I think I heard you were treated to some of our arctic temps.  We have temps in the teens yesterday and today.  No white, however.  Friday we had 2” of rain (50s), which could  have been 20+ inches of snow in the right circumstances, and gale force winds, so we were lucky.  The only problem there was that the temps plunged that night and some wet car doors froze shut!  It took some tugging to get them open again.

We had a lovely afternoon and evening with family and came home to a very happy pup.  We then collapsed in bed.  I was exhausted!  🎄🎁🎅🏻

Now to clean up the mess from getting ready to go!  Yuck! 

• Haha 4
17 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Coming January 1, 2023...

Hide contents

Turning around, Paul sat properly and secured his seat belt. “So, the reason we called and said we’d pick you up’s ’cause Dad asked us to. He didn’t want you guys to be surprised.”

“Surprised how?” Owen sounded as wary as CJ felt.

“About the threesomes at the golf course.” Paul stretched and gave CJ a sympathetic look. “Sorry, CJ. You’re stuck playing with Dad and his friend, Lloyd.”

“The fuck?” CJ was shocked. “No way, man. I don’t mind embarrassing myself in front of you, but your dad and a buddy of his? Nope. Not happening. Does he know I only started playing this year? I’ve been on a course less than a dozen times, and last one was in Mexico before that shit went down. This is a joke. Right? You’re pulling my leg.” Stopping, he realized everyone was staring at him. Even David, thanks to the red light. “What?”

Owen shrugged. “I was just waiting for you to run out of steam so I could ask Paul the obvious question.”

“Oh yeah? And what might that question be, genius?”

Owen stuck his tongue out at CJ. “Why, Paul? Why does your dad want CJ to play with him?”

“That’s easy.” David was the one to reply. “But let me calm CJ first. The tournament this morning’s only nine holes, and we’re playing best ball. If your shots suck, it won’t matter. As for Dad’s reason? He wants Lloyd to meet you.”

“Why? And who’s Lloyd?”

“Lloyd Austin. You may have heard of him?”

“The Secretary of Defense?” CJ pulled the brim of the Georgetown Hoyas bucket hat over his eyes and shrank into the seat. “Fuck me. I’m gonna have to behave.”

Yup, that's our CJ!

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
16 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Writing's therapy. Some days, I end up editing (my own work or others') instead of writing, but my mind seldom stops planning. I'm currently working on Capitol Hill, which chronicles Owen's parents visiting Washington and their initial stay at Everhope.. The previous time they'd seen each other was Christmas 2020 (Ripper Christmas) and there may be lingering tensions where Pam Liston's concerned.

However, Prime dropped season four of Jack Ryan this month, and now I have the urge to write about politics and espionage. James Bond, Jason Bourne, Jack Ryan, and CJ Abello... I should have named my guy John or Jeff to have another first name starting with a J. :P

But none of them have such cute precocious kids! Nor such a wise, sexy husband.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2