Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

I'm rereading the CJ. I'm partway through Walls today, at CJ's 18th birthday party in Vail, and came across something I didn't pay attention to the first time around. Chipper talks about possibly going to Juilliard for  college: "The fact that I play several would probably be considered a negative. I spoke with somebody who suggested that might be seen as a sign I’m not serious enough about one instrument to focus and achieve the highest levels of artistry."  Juilliard sure got that wrong! Good thing Chipper didn't buy into their bull.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

@frosenblum

The decision to send Chipper to the University of Miami was due to sage advice from a reader who happened to be a music professor.

I considered several options, and Julliard seemed a safe bet considering he's a New Yorker. When I mentioned I envisioned Chipper being a mix of Justin Timberlake and Michael Buble, the reader suggested the Frost School at UM might be a better choice. The connection to CJ because of Miami and the school having a good entertainment business music program convinced me.

There are usually solid reasons for my choices, but I seldom get the chance to explain the little details. Thanks for the opportunity to air this one! :)

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Love 5

Reading the CJ stories sometimes feels like being inside the movie "Arrival" -- jumping around in time, so that Liebe is 7, then she's a toddler. The premise of the movie, and the excellent short story it's based on, is that linear time is an illusion and any point on the timeline is available to us. I wonder it's like that for @Carlos Hazday every day, writing stories out chronological order and trying to keep track of has happened and what hasn't yet. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, frosenblum said:

Oh, no, cute, sweet Liebe's going to grow up!! 😭

Cute, yes; sweet, maybe. Depends on whether she's pissed off CJ and Oz recently. That story of her wedding showed us she can be a handful.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Cute, yes; sweet, maybe. Depends on whether she's pissed off CJ and Oz recently. That story of her wedding showed us she can be a handful.

I remember Liebe whining at CJ's inauguration. (I also remember bj episode.) But I'm having a senior moment and don't remember her wedding. 

• Like 4