Readers, What Do You Skip?

15 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

If i'm writing about characters in Canada, you'll see: colour, honour, etc., and other words i use every day. If my story is set in the USA or i want to 'hide' like with Dom Does Halloween, i'll use American spellings. In other words, I do what's right for me and the story. But i like to see people writing 'their' way.

Yes, that’s how it should be. Honoring the culture and ways of the locale. That’s conscientiousness on the part of a good writer.

• Like 5

I have read several stories that were set in Hawaii where the speakers sounded more like caricatures rather than real people. When I PM’d one of the authors, he said he was copying the TV show, Hawaii 5-0. Movies and TV shows are often not accurate representations of the locations they are set. People in Hawaii do not sprinkle their conversations with Hawaiian words, one per sentence. Yes, they have slang that’s different from what we use on the mainland, but public schools teach standard English and everybody knows how to speak standard English even if they don’t use it all the time. I spent the first 8 years of my life there and things can only have become more like the rest of the US with all the immigration from the mainland.

The vast majority of Californians never use Valley Speak or other exaggerated slang. ‘Honoring the culture and ways of the locale’ does not mean you should imitate a comedy movie or TV show (unless that is the effect you are going for). I want to specifically point out that I am not criticizing or critiquing @BlindAmbition or any of his stories when I quoted him.

4 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I have read several stories that were set in Hawaii where the speakers sounded more like caricatures rather than real people. When I PM’d one of the authors, he said he was copying the TV show, Hawaii 5-0. Movies and TV shows are often not accurate representations of the locations they are set. People in Hawaii do not sprinkle their conversations with Hawaiian words, one per sentence. Yes, they have slang that’s different from what we use on the mainland, but public schools teach standard English and everybody knows how to speak standard English even if they don’t use it all the time. I spent the first 8 years of my life there and things can only have become more like the rest of the US with all the immigration from the mainland.

The vast majority of Californians never use Valley Speak or other exaggerated slang. ‘Honoring the culture and ways of the locale’ does not mean you should imitate a comedy movie or TV show (unless that is the effect you are going for). I want to specifically point out that I am not criticizing or critiquing @BlindAmbition or any of his stories when I quoted him.

Huh!, I’m lost on this one. I haven’t published any stories on here. Did you tag wrong person?

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

If i'm writing about characters in Canada, you'll see: colour, honour, etc., and other words i use every day. If my story is set in the USA or i want to 'hide' like with Dom Does Halloween, i'll use American spellings. In other words, I do what's right for me and the story. But i like to see people writing 'their' way.

i like seeing this in stories, the varied stuff, helps keep my mind limber. although i must admit AC, Parker and Quokka have sent me down the google hole more than once, but i learn so much! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

Huh!, I’m lost on this one. I haven’t published any stories on here. Did you tag wrong person?

No, I quoted your line, but I was trying to make it clear I wasn’t referring to you or anything you wrote when I was complaining about characters that were unintentional caricatures.

When I made my initial post on this topic, I knew I would be contacted by a certain author. I absolutely did not have him in mind when I wrote that and had my response in mind waiting for him to ask me if I was referring to him. 

@Carlos Hazday remember what I told you and keep up the good work 😉😗

• Like 4
On 05/11/2017 at 4:26 PM, BlindAmbition said:

Grammar and editing huge. There’s a popular author with multiple stories who refuses an editor. Good ideas, horrendous sentence structure. Gave up and won’t read another by this author.

Whole -heartedly agree. Quite sad really....

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Dahawk said:

After reading @Cia post What Readers Skip,  and being personally sniped by certain authors I am going to speak my mind. I write for fun, most of my followers enjoy my writing. I am not a blow smoke up your behind and pretend the world is an endless love fest where everybody accepts everybody and holds hands singing Kumbaya. I don't go out and beg people to read my writing nor will I. I personally don't like the direction as a whole this community has turned out since that forum post has been made. You have authors who are going to other authors work, who post comments without supplying any reasons or constructive information to point one in a direction. If your criticism is you don't wanna feel emotion, you should find a different author to follow. I'm personally fed up with snarky crap, my original post was to show how authors feel talked down to by certain individuals and if anything since said forum was made it has only created an even larger negative atmosphere. My post was being honest when you have signature authors and promising authors who go on to tear down newer writer's work they will get fed up and start to look for other venues to display their work. Not every writer is going to be somebody else's cup of tea, nor should they be made feel that they must conform to a certain style in a whole because you don't like emotions or to shed a tear. I'm really beyond aggravated and frustrated to the point if I were to do a knee-jerk reaction I would have pulled my work down on the site today. I'm going to take a little time work on my stories, and consider my options. I enjoy each of my followers and we created a makeshift family that jokes around with one another, so please don't take this personally you have stood by me watching my work grow and my writing style improve I won't alienate you, but I felt the need to voice my personal displeasure with admins letting this post start to create a toxic environment. People as a whole need to pick and choose their battles, I for one don't like to read stories that fluff over the way the real world is I want to be drawn into a story, I want to feel connected to the characters and their environment. Most of my followers have come to accept I don't gloss over stuff. You either like a writer's style or you don't, nobody begs you to sit through reading it if you don't like it, simply close the story and move on no hard feelings are made but if you want to call me out on my writing sucks, then provide what is wrong with it so I can learn from it and improve if it's grammatical, but if you just don't like it over the story being emotional simply accept it as this story is not for me and kindly move on. Thank you.

I always skip stories that are pure happiness. I need drama in a story. That's one reason I enjoy @Dahawkstories. They have that realness to them. Sure I joke about crying all the time, but that's just it jokes. To me, you can't have a story without drama, or strife, there needs to be a challenge to overcome. I'm a realist and can't stand all the candy coated life is wonderful crap.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Kitt said:

There is very little I will skip over within a story. 

A story has to hook me in the first chapter to get me coming back.  I am pleased to say almost all the stories I have started here I either finished reading or am waiting as patiently as possible for the next chapter.  The few that have not captured my attention span were simply not my cup of tea.

The thing that does annoy me however, is a distinct lack of editing.  At LEAST turn your spell check on!  I am a tad careful who I approach with comments on the need of an editor, however.  I have found that Convo goes one of two directions.  I have been cursed out by authors who took offence. I have been asked to edit by far more, however.  I hate to turn anyone down, but there simply are not enough hours in the day.

That's the thing Kitt I personally don't take offense if stuff is said and done constructively with reasons, I would appreciate that from my fellow authors even. I have started putting a team of beta readers in place along with other assistance and Grammarly.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

I guess my point is that just like writing takes practice, the same applies to giving feedback as a reader (or editor/beta). So those people who have upset you with snarky comments may simply be immature or insensitive or unaware. You should feel free to point this out and since other readers can now reply to yours and their comments, you may find support in educating those people in how to be helpful rather than hurtful. If not, ignore them or, as a final resort, report the comment and ask to have it removed.

Many readers already seem to find the whole Comment process intimidating. I think that’s why only a small percentage of readers React (with the emoji at the end of the chapter) and an even smaller percentage actually Comment. Some may have had a bad experience being castigated for expressing an opinion when they’re already feeling insecure about their sexuality, sexual orientation, or sexual desires.

Many people are here just for entertainment. They don’t want to think about how they felt when they read the story, what it made them think about, or what was technically wrong with the writing. I’m on Disability so I have more spare time than most readers to cogitate and comment. And some readers seek out exactly the themes that bother me most!  ;-)

2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Many readers already seem to find the whole Comment process intimidating. I think that’s why only a small percentage of readers React (with the emoji at the end of the chapter) and an even smaller percentage actually Comment.

You're quite right - I should have said ' just like writing takes practice and confidence, the same applies to giving feedback as a reader.' :) 

• Like 4
  • Love 1