Readers, What Do You Skip?

14 hours ago, Cia said:

We have, a ton of them over the years. These are just a few of the blog posts put up. 

Hmmmmmm.... never seen them before and in all fairness never bothered to look either. I wouldn't search the writing tips blog because that is for authors. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Bucket1 said:

I think I need a Newbies Guide for Non-newbies :)

Isn’t that what FAQs are for? Of course, it does help when questions posed in said FAQs are actually answered. Ignoring questions tells users that the writers of those FAQs do not value them.

4 hours ago, droughtquake said:

And if someone decides that a solitary :) is a sufficient Comment on dozens of stories?  ;-)

38 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Then they win a tutorial on how to write meaningful comments. :lol: 

Sorry guys, but a like of some sort is my usual "comment" since I got chewed out publicly for saying a story took   left turn I didn't see coming.

An added emogie shows stronger reaction. 

I only really comment for authors I know well and can trust to pm me if something bothers them.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Sorry guys, but a like of some sort is my usual "comment" since I got chewed out publicly for saying a story took   left turn I didn't see coming.

I only really comment for authors I know well and can trust to pm me if something bothers them.

I did think of you and your fun emoticon comments, Kitt, and I was sad when most of the ones you left for me ended up empty after the great GA update.

But since we were discussing newbie commentators, I decided my suggestion doesn't apply to you, so I went ahead. After all, you don't leave emoticons just to rack up comment numbers.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I just (re)visited those blogs about feedback on stories. They are certainly very useful and have lots of good advice. However, I think they're more aimed at helping people who already comment on how to improve their feedback to authors. For newbies who are contemplating writing their first ever comment, I'd worry about them being put off and thinking 'I can never live up to that, and my comments won't be good enough.'

If the goal is to encourage non-member readers to join GA and start commenting, maybe we should think of motivation? One month free Premium to the newbie with most comments in a month or with the most liked comment? Or maybe we could have a new blog with some of us 'experienced' commenters telling how we began and what we have gotten out of leaving comments and being active in the story topics. I.e. highlighting the multiple benefits of becoming an active GA member. :) 

Anyway, in order to not be completely :off: I'll add that something which can make me skip commenting is when authors don't reply to comments. (it doesn't have to be at once, but eventually.)

With the new option of liking comments that is the minimum response I'd expect, but unless the author gets tons of comments (like Mark Arbour), I'm put off from leaving a comment, if I don't get some sort of response. And of course, it's even worse if authors ask for comments at the end of each chapter or only reply to comments from their friends / admirers.

I agree with this. An author not replying is inconsiderate. Your reader took the time to comment. I find it egotistical when authors don't reply. You're not that good that you don't need readers.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, Kitt said:

3 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I did think of you and your fun emoticon comments, Kitt, and I was sad when most of the ones you left for me ended up empty after the great GA update.

But since we were discussing newbie commentators, I decided my suggestion doesn't apply to you, so I went ahead. After all, you don't leave emoticons just to rack up comment numbers.

As Timmy said, I also was referring to a theoretical newbie who might just do it to build numbers.

9 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Anyway, in order to not be completely :off: I'll add that something which can make me skip commenting is when authors don't reply to comments. (it doesn't have to be at once, but eventually.)

Right after the big update back in March, there was that persistent Page 2 bug, I remember seeing many authors distressed at not being able to respond to new comments that happened to be on pages 2, 3, etc... I guess what I'm trying to say is sometimes circumstances don't allow for a speedy response from the author. :) 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

Right after the big update back in March, there was that persistent Page 2 bug, I remember seeing many authors distressed at not being able to respond to new comments that happened to be on pages 2, 3, etc... I guess what I'm trying to say is sometimes circumstances don't allow for a speedy response from the author. :) 

There’s also a writer who waits until he’s going to post the next chapter before he replies to Comments (to avoid spoilers?). He’s very consistent and he does respond, so I’m used to the wait. I think he reacts sooner, but I wouldn’t mind waiting even for that (unless the author is in a once-every-couple-years schedule for posting new chapters).  ;-)

7 minutes ago, Lisa said:

And please, can someone tell me what gender-neutral word we're using nowadays, so I don't have to keep writing 'they' for an individual person. Thank you!! :)

‘They’ is a perfectly acceptable gender-neutral singular pronoun and has a long history of use. Other, newer pronouns are less recognized, especially by those for whom English is a second language. At this point, I’m still using ‘they’ but am willing to adjust in the future.

4 hours ago, droughtquake said:

‘They’ is a perfectly acceptable gender-neutral singular pronoun and has a long history of use. Other, newer pronouns are less recognized, especially by those for whom English is a second language. At this point, I’m still using ‘they’ but am willing to adjust in the future.

Thanks, Drought! :) I started by writing he/she, but that got old fast. Plus, there's more than he/she now anyway, right? I wanted to be PC. I'll stick to 'they'. :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1