The Drop in Centre

6 minutes ago, Kitt said:

IDK but if it's not on the table hubby tosses a fit, and he doesn't even like it!

My husband says it's not Thanksgiving without mashed turnips and carrots. I can take it or leave it. This year I'm roasting them instead of boiling to death. Maybe it'll help?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kitt said:

Allow extra time, they take forever to roast into submission.

They're done, and they're not too bad roasted. Definitely better than boiled. 

Now the apple pie (with Fireball of course) is in the oven.

Edited by kbois
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, kbois said:

Does anyone use an air fryer? If so, pros and cons?

I have a small one. I use it for things like french fries/tater tots, fully cooked breaded chicken patties and the like. It is significantly quicker because it's a mini-convection oven. Sometimes timing can be tricky. I don't yet trust it or myself enough to do uncooked meats/fish. Some folks complain that they are loud, but it doesn't bother me at all. Overall, I like it and it's an appliance I use almost weekly. 

3 hours ago, kbois said:

Also, turnips [rutabaga here in the south] ... who the hell first decided "Hey this stuff stinks to high heaven, let's cook it and eat it!"

The same one who discovered collards. "Oh the house doesn't smell that bad."  LOL.  If you're cooking the greens, then cook that stuff outside. If you are cooking the root part I would do it in the InstantPot and vent that stuff outside too. IMHO, turnips and rutabagas might be the same family, but they are different. Turnips have a white colored flesh and rutabagas have a golden yellow to orange flesh. Rutabagas always need side meat and sweetner. Turnips, I cut into matchsticks, par boil them until tender, drain, toss them in a frying pan with some unsalted butter and fresh grated nutmeg and finish the cooking. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, kbois said:

I'm off today. Which means I'm cooking. Trying to get everything but the turkey cooked for Thursday. 

Couple of questions:

Also, turnips [rutabaga here in the south] ... who the hell first decided "Hey this stuff stinks to high heaven, let's cook it and eat it!"

Hope everyone has a decent Monday!

we have a air fryer and we love ours. Love French fries with a little sprinkle of olive oil on them. we have made grill cheese / and cakes so they are handy 

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
8 hours ago, kbois said:

Couple of questions:

I don’t have one, but I was watching - just yesterday , in fact - a pros and cons review about them on America’s Test Kitchen on Youtube. I find what they have to say usually quite helpful.

https://youtu.be/3uvFt7Jv3uM

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

I don’t have one, but I was watching - just yesterday , in fact - a pros and cons review about them on America’s Test Kitchen on Youtube. I find what they have to say usually quite helpful.

https://youtu.be/3uvFt7Jv3uM

Thanks Reader!! That definitely helped. They had a video that explained the difference between the types. My son asked for one for Xmas and I had no clue where to start. The one these ladies recommended is on sale from Kohls for $69.99 and I had $30 in Kohl's cash so I got it for $39.99. I like those kind of deals. It'll probably cost me more to ship it to him. 😆 

Of course I had to order one for myself 😏😊

1 hour ago, rickproehl said:

Here is some recipes to check out
Air Fryer

Thanks Rick! I will definitely try some of these out. Looking forward to seeing how they come out. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Glad I could help.

PS: I want for myself as well. 😁

I was thinking about one too, but cant get it till after Christmas, unless hubby takes the hints. We have a rule in our family. No gifts to ourselves from November 1 till Christmas, and for 30 days before a birthday. My dad was famous for coming home a day or two before with whatever someone bought him!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Today is the last day of a two day week (they gave us an "Administrative Day" tomorrow we don't normally get) -- which means one more day to finish five days of work. Then we're off all of next week for the wedding -- and to recover from the wedding.

• Love 5
On 11/22/2021 at 10:20 AM, kbois said:

Hope everyone has a decent Monday!

Rutabagas and turnips are 2 different vegetables. Related, but not the same. 

Never mind I see that was covered above. Guess I shouldn't respond to old posts. 

Edited by Starrynight22
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Starrynight22 said:

Never mind I see that was covered above. Guess I shouldn't respond to old 

I just realized that I spent pretty much my entire life thinking rutabaga was turnips. Those big, waxy yellow brown things? Yeah..They're really rutabaga. Turnips are the smaller purple and white things. Mind blown. 

Pose Mind Blown GIF by America's Next Top Model

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, kbois said:

I just realized that I spent pretty much my entire life thinking rutabaga was turnips. Those big, waxy yellow brown things? Yeah..They're really rutabaga. Turnips are the smaller purple and white things. Mind blown. 

Pose Mind Blown GIF by America's Next Top Model

If you just order turnips in a restaurant in the south, you're going to get the green tops, not the root. Not my favorite, but better than mustard greens. 🤢

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, MichaelS36 said:

Neeps and tatties.. very Scottish. 

In England we refer to rutabaga as swede .. just thought I'd add that to the mix. 

tim, is working with his doctor and is improving slowly. It's a long road. 

Happy Thanksgiving to those of you who will celebrate this week. 

:hug:to you and tim. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Starrynight22 said:

Never mind I see that was covered above. Guess I shouldn't respond to old posts. 

The only real memory I have of my paternal grandmother is a bad one, related to turnips. All my life I have been a picky eater but one of my favorite things as a kid was mashed potatoes. One time my grandmother stayed with us a week or so and would cook. I got to the table and there was a bowl of white mashed stuff that I assumed was potato but when I took a bite I spit it out immediately. It was awful!

She had made mashed turnips!

My grandmother died when I was 6 or 7 and this is quite literally the only memory I have of her.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, MichaelS36 said:

In England we refer to rutabaga as swede .. just thought I'd add that to the mix. 

Michael Sir, nice to hear this. 

thank you for the good wishes.

sending good thoughts to both you,

Michael Sir and tim.

Edited by rickproehl
Spelling error
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, MichaelS36 said:

Please let tim know I'm sending good thoughts his way. The hardest roads to travel are usually the longest. It's good that he's improving.  Take care of yourself too. 

xo

• Like 3
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, kbois said:

Please let tim know I'm sending good thoughts his way. The hardest roads to travel are usually the longest. It's good that he's improving.  Take care of yourself too. 

xo

I will, thank you. 

I'm fine, I have years of experience dealing with this. He has an amazing doctor, so it will be okay. 

I'll pass along your best wishes. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

good to see You Sir

hope You are well

thank You for letting us know that tim is improving. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Thanks for checking in and letting us know about tim. My very best wishes to you both and many continued improvements for tim. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..