The Drop in Centre

1 minute ago, Starrynight22 said:

I trivia my favorite well you see it's because they're all heavily taxed and they were combined because when gun-control first became a thing back in the twenties they impose a large tax on certain types of guns they chose to have the same Treasury Department that oversaw the taxon of alcohol do the same for guns because the prevailing thought was both manufacturers of guns and alcohol or known to be people who tend to evade taxes quite a bit as her they needed the same heavy hand tobacco got added later on as it became a heavily taxed industry as well

Ok. That makes sense now.

3 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

I trivia my favorite well you see it's because they're all heavily taxed and they were combined because when gun-control first became a thing back in the twenties they impose a large tax on certain types of guns they chose to have the same Treasury Department that oversaw the taxon of alcohol do the same for guns because the prevailing thought was both manufacturers of guns and alcohol or known to be people who tend to evade taxes quite a bit as her they needed the same heavy hand tobacco got added later on as it became a heavily taxed industry as well

Makes sense. Wasn't alcohol illegal in the 1920s, though?

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

We use the Imperial system. There's always talk about switching to Metric, but that would take an act of Congress. < REDACTED because it gets heavily Political >

There was a push to go metric in the mid-1970's and congress actually passed a Metric Conversion Act.  However, it was not highly popular and was effectively dismantled by <REDACTED> who was president shortly thereafter.  This interesting article discusses what is (quite a lot) and isn't metric here in the land of <REDACTED>. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/06/why-the-metric-system-hasnt-failed-in-the-us/487040/

I'm very fond of the readily-available conversion charts that ease the problem, but being of a certain age, F = 1.8C + 32 is firmly etched in my brain.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Yes it was but during prohibition the treasury Department had people who oversaw the enforcement of prohibition they just switch those people over to the enforcement of taxation of alcohol once it was legal again

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Thorn Wilde said:

They tried, but it was repealed as more people were making and selling alcohol than before they outlawed it.  More were drinking too.  It's like the liquor cabinet at home. Lock it up and the teens will always want in. Don't make it forbidden and teach them moderation and they behave responsibly for the most part.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
Just now, Mikiesboy said:

it has not been a zen day .. and it is just getting worse .. i am going to find a bed for the night .  see you later

Sleep Well, Bro.

I hope it gets better for you.

*Hugs*

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Backwoods Boy said:

There was a push to go metric in the mid-1970's and congress actually passed a Metric Conversion Act.  However, it was not highly popular and was effectively dismantled by <REDACTED> who was president shortly thereafter.  This interesting article discusses what is (quite a lot) and isn't metric here in the land of <REDACTED>. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/06/why-the-metric-system-hasnt-failed-in-the-us/487040/

I'm very fond of the readily-available conversion charts that ease the problem, but being of a certain age, F = 1.8C + 32 is firmly etched in my brain.

Like 1 Kilo = 2.2 pounds.

• Like 3
Just now, Thorn Wilde said:

Well, I am going to bed. Who am I and what have I done with Thorn? Bed at a decent hour two nights in a row! Good night, everyone! Talk to you all tomorrow.

Sleep Well, Thorn.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

I’m off too... to bed that is. Still fighting this headache that comes and goes.. 😖

Have a good night, and sleep well everyone... 

Sleep Well, Agent D.

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..