The Drop in Centre

3 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I just finished shovelling a ton of snow, and the weather network is saying there’ll be another 20 cm (7.87 inches) or more overnight and into Saturday morning.

oh boy...  

no measurable snow for us yet, but its on the way :(

• Like 5

I have been driving for nearly 40 years. I've been fortunate and have never had been at fault in an accident. I've been hit a couple of times and have walked away unhurt. I've seen pretty much every driving condition. I'm lucky that I  haven't had to deal with winter conditions in 10 years. Torrential, sudden downpours? Those suck. The most scared I have ever been was during one of those where I couldn't see the front end of my car and knew there were cars in front and behind me and a 10 foot drainage ditch next to me. 

Snow, sleet, ice, rain, high winds...all of it is unleashed by nature...a force much bigger and more powerful than we are. Please give it the respect it deserves, stay home, off the roads. Keep yourselves safe. 

@Starrynight22 I  hope you don't have to stay at work...be safe.

@Kitt I too, wish I could get paid for being wrong.. I'd probably be rich lol. 

@MichaelS36 As a cop I'm sure you saw more than your fair share of the consequences of poor driving decisions. Even though you no longer do that job, thank you for having done it.

Update: the unapproved occupant who's truck I had towed is now in jail, at least for the weekend. He mouthed off to the judge at his hearing yesterday. His ex-wife is trying to get him Baker acted and placed under Adult Protective Services. She refused to post bail. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, MichaelS36 said:

As an ex-cop from a snowy and icy place in winter, please stay home.  When you end up in a ditch or an accident due to icy and poor road conditions, it's the police and fire who have to risk their lives to save yours. 

STAY HOME. 

Yes, it was my job and the reason I learned how to drive in those conditions, but most people don't know how to, or don't bother with decent snow tires.

@Starrynight22 I hope you don't have to sleep at work, but you're should be commended for your dedication and forward thinking. 

You're so right, plenty of folks who have no business being out drive around in the snow.  And here in southern Ohio no one owns snow tires or anything.....heck the city can barely keep up with plowing and salting.  17 inches is like.....our season average.  For us, 2 or 3 inches at once is a big deal most winters. 

And thank you, I also hope I don't have to sleep at work but it'll be like an adventure! 

Edited by Starrynight22
  • Like 4
16 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Oh yay, the forecast for today and tonight is for up to 35 cm (13.7 inches) to fall. Good thing I shovelled yesterday. 

did you get enough to shovel?  We have very little here.. i think we are expecting snow not sure how much though.

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator
18 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

did you get enough to shovel?  We have very little here.. i think we are expecting snow not sure how much though.

There was snow up to the top of my boots yesterday, so I’d say we got at about 24 cm (10 inches). At least it was the light and fluffy kind, so it was easy to shovel. 

PS: I had heard Toronto didn’t get much. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 5
5 hours ago, MichaelS36 said:

As an ex-cop from a snowy and icy place in winter, please stay home.  When you end up in a ditch or an accident due to icy and poor road conditions, it's the police and fire who have to risk their lives to save yours. 

STAY HOME. 

Yes, it was my job and the reason I learned how to drive in those conditions, but most people don't know how to, or don't bother with decent snow tires.

@Starrynight22 I hope you don't have to sleep at work, but you're should be commended for your dedication and forward thinking. 

Thank you for your service as a police officer and your wise words @MichaelS36 

On one of my feeds, a mental giant posts a photo of the bed of his pickup truck where he's used cinder blocks to add weight because snow is expected and he's worried because the back end of his truck is "light."  It's brought to his attention that in the event of a crash, those cinder blocks are going to fly and could hurt someone. His response was that his tonneau cover and bed should contain any flying cinder blocks. :facepalm: 

I guarantee that fool will be out as soon as the first snowflakes start to stick. 

And my friends wonder why I have dash cams in my vehicles and I don't drive when the weather is bad. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 3
36 minutes ago, spyke said:

On one of my feeds, a mental giant posts a photo of the bed of his pickup truck where he's used cinder blocks to add weight because snow is expected and he's worried because the back end of his truck is "light."  It's brought to his attention that in the event of a crash, those cinder blocks are going to fly and could hurt someone. His response was that his tonneau cover and bed should contain any flying cinder blocks. :facepalm: 

I was always taught to shovel the snow into the bed of my trucks. Adds the desired weight, rids itself as it gradually melts, and gives me a place to put at least some of this white shit that h as fallen from the sky this year.

I fervently hope the show management watch our forecast and postpone the regional competition planned for Monday. I do not look forward to loading @ 4 am and driving thru "light freezing precip" in the dark!

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator
21 minutes ago, Kitt said:

I was always taught to shovel the snow into the bed of my trucks. Adds the desired weight, rids itself as it gradually melts, and gives me a place to put at least some of this white shit that h as fallen from the sky this year.

The neighbour across the street has a pick up, and it got me to thinking the bed would be full of snow. I noticed he’d cleared the driveway, but not his truck. I wonder if he’s not cleaning it out for that reason as well? 

• Like 4

roads were clear and we were between storms so Phil went to the store when He picked Number Two Son up, it's his first storm so there was no way He was going to let Son drive, clear roads or not.
good thing He did too, there were few carts in the "cart garage" area and He said most of the staples aisles were sold out.
the county has done "Reverse 911" texts and voice calls regarding the coming freezing rain and sleet, Phil's department has been put on "standby" to support with power outage calls
but we've got groceries, both cars have full gas tanks and we don't have anywhere to be
be safe, stay warm

• Like 5

Snow started last night, and the wind has picked up this morning -- snow could end up being less than they originally thought, but the wind-chill will still be harsh (-13F at the moment, but expected to get worse).

My brother called yesterday to say that his furnace went out overnight Friday. He woke up to a 60F house. They have a fireplace and a couple of electric heaters and are able to keep the living room warm enough -- for now.

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..