Open Club  ·  135 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

• Site Administrator
26 minutes ago, Marty said:

I decided to put the macro lens on TN and take some close ups...

So my 26th (out of 52) monochrome shot this week is a close up of a calendula flower that has gone to seed.

Reveal hidden contents

50382843563_2c13bf0db2_b.jpg

I like to save my own seeds whenever I can. :yes:

And, wow! I'm now half way through this project! :D 

Nice!  I love the play on textures and focus.  :) 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Marty said:

Thanks, Val! :thumbup:

One of the things with macro photography when done properly, using a genuine macro lens that allows you to get really close to the subject, is that unless you really close down the aperture of the lens, you tend to finish up with a very shallow depth of field. So some parts of the image may be in really sharp focus, but other parts, maybe only a millimetre or so closer or further away from the lens, are blurred.

But a problem with using a small aperture is that, because it means less light is getting though the lens to the sensor (or the film in the old days), you need to have the aperture open for a longer time to get enough light through. In this case (photographing the seed head) the plant was moving in the wind, so I had to open the aperture as wide as possible to avoid motion blur (in which case everything would have been blurred).

But, as you say, I think it worked.

[Here endeth today's Photography 101 lesson] ;) 

Yeah... It worked. :) 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Tonight's dinner: Kielbasa sausage, potatoes, and green beans, tossed with Italian seasoning and roasted on a sheet pan. YUM!  :wub: I left out the garlic, and added baby carrots. I also used 1/4 lb each of green and yellow beans, for a little more color.  :)

https://www.mashupmom.com/sheet-pan-sausage-green-bean-and-potato-dinner/

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

This picture is for Marty:yes:

Slide 10 of 35: You may recognize the Dark Hedges from cult HBO series Game of Thrones, but this twisting tunnel of trees has a legend of its own. The lane is supposedly home to the Grey Lady, an elusive specter who flits between the knotted trees, fading away as she reaches the end of the road. Her identity is unknown, though some think she's the wandering spirit of a local housemaid, whose mysterious death raised questions centuries ago. Today it's one of the most photographed places in Northern Ireland – check your snaps for any mysterious shapes... 

Thanks, Albert! ❤️

The Dark Hedges
Stranocum, Ballymoney, County Antrim, Northern Ireland

This beautiful avenue of beech trees was planted by the Stuart family in the eighteenth century.

It was intended as a compelling landscape feature to impress visitors as they approached the entrance to their Georgian mansion, Gracehill House. Two centuries later, the trees remain a magnificent sight and have become one of the most photographed natural phenomena in Northern Ireland. In fact, the iconic trees have been used as a filming location in HBO's epic series Game of Thrones®, representing the Kingsroad.

Featured Scene: Season 2, Episode 1: The North Remembers - On the King's Road, Arya Stark has escaped from King’s Landing, disguised as a boy. She is with Yoren, Gendry, Hot Pie and others who are to join the Night’s Watch, in a cart, travelling north on the Kingsroad.

Source: https://discovernorthernireland.com/things-to-do/the-dark-hedges-p703291
  • Love 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..