CMOS Quiz #33 - Editing and Proofreading #1

• Site Administrator

I find these quizzes extremely helpful.  Taking them is a learning experience, since I usually don't do nearly as well as I think I will.   I'm learning the Chicago Manual style though, so I'm quite proud to have earned an 80% on this quiz.    

http://cmosshoptalk.com/2019/01/22/chicago-style-workout-33-editing-and-proofreading-quiz-no-1/?fbclid=IwAR3bjEw4aVE6AoUAMDomZSNoCdEXhmhUC3nj6AibSBCLcRkU1E65e825kLs

• Like 2

Well I only managed 50% 😡

I blame that largely because I write learnt English in England, not Chicago.

Some of the answers were that weird that I sat shaking my head (more in confusion than disbelief) as I read them.

People sometimes tell me that I'm a bit heavy with the comma in some of my writing, but I am still adamant that the comma used in Q10 was not just unnecessary, but completely wrong. The sentence (to my mind at least) flow was broken by it (try reading that sentence without the bit in parentheses immediately before the comma and tell me if you agree).

And I always assumed that everyone knows the difference between 12 a.m. and 12 p.m. And, even if they don't, the difference should have been clear in the context of the sentence in which they were being used.

Ah well, you can't win them all. 😊 Maybe if I start offering my services as an editor again, I'd better only edit the work of people that write in British English. 😉

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator
11 minutes ago, Marty said:

Well I only managed 50% 😡

I blame that largely because I write learnt English in England, not Chicago.

Some of the answers were that weird that I sat shaking my head (more in confusion than disbelief) as I read them.

People sometimes tell me that I'm a bit heavy with the comma in some of my writing, but I am still adamant that the comma used in Q10 was not just unnecessary, but completely wrong. The sentence (to my mind at least) flow was broken by it (try reading that sentence without the bit in parentheses immediately before the comma and tell me if you agree).

And I always assumed that everyone knows the difference between 12 a.m. and 12 p.m. And, even if they don't, the difference should have been clear in the context of the sentence in which they were being used.

Ah well, you can't win them all. 😊 Maybe if I start offering my services as an editor again, I'd better only edit the work of people that write in British English. 😉

Please don't limit yourself to only editing for users of British English.  The Chicago Manual of Style is only one of many style guides out there.  What's considered incorrect in CMOS may be considered correct in another guide.   I'm still learning Chicago Style myself and find these quizzes useful, as I learn something every time.  

As far as Question 10, the intended target was the non-use of periods in uppercase vs lowercase initials.  The comma after the parentheses is absolutely correct, as it is an introductory clause.  

With the introduction of the microgroove LP (a.k.a. vinyl), high fidelity was finally in reach for ordinary middle-class consumers.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

Please don't limit yourself to only editing for users of British English.  The Chicago Manual of Style is only one of many style guides out there.  What's considered incorrect in CMOS may be considered correct in another guide.   I'm still learning Chicago Style myself and find these quizzes useful, as I learn something every time.  

As far as Question 10, the intended target was the non-use of periods in uppercase vs lowercase initials.  The comma after the parentheses is absolutely correct, as it is an introductory clause.  

With the introduction of the microgroove LP (a.k.a. vinyl), high fidelity was finally in reach for ordinary middle-class consumers.

😅

Thanks. I'll take your word for it, Valkyrie! 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Site Administrator
2 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

:o I'm not touching a comma quiz with a ten foot pole. :no:  :lol: 

It's not all about commas ;) 

• Like 3