Julian Alexander Posted February 21, 2006 Posted February 21, 2006 If you were to happen to get "Married" or civil union, would you take your Sig. Others last(family) name? I was just sitting here at home and wondered what y'all would do in this case. I would have to say maybe, part if it comes from my mum not taking my dads last name and she passed down to us her last name, but another part of me would like to take my Sig. other's last name. Jules
NaperVic Posted February 21, 2006 Posted February 21, 2006 HYPHEN ALL THE WAY!!!!! I'd be Vic The Domaholic-Cruise
GREEN Posted February 22, 2006 Posted February 22, 2006 HYPHEN ALL THE WAY!!!!!I'd be Vic The Domaholic-Cruise I wouldn't tell anyone about this. We all know how MR. Cruise can get when faced with homosexuality. LOL. GREEN
Xandra Kitee Posted February 22, 2006 Posted February 22, 2006 One possibility is missing : - Since only my dead body would get married, please write MY one and only name on the grave. That's an interesting question, though. But what's even more interesting is why would you or wouldn't you take your sig. other's name ? For example, my mother loves her current husband's name. It's a foreign name. She says it like she'd show a 5 carats diamond, I swear. >_>;
AFriendlyFace Posted February 22, 2006 Posted February 22, 2006 I wouldn't tell anyone about this. We all know how MR. Cruise can get when faced with homosexuality. LOL. GREEN Actually since I completely avoid television and mostly avoid the celebrity gossip, I have no idea who Mr. Cruise feels about homosexuality...But I'm guessing not favourably by your post? ***************** This is very interesting. I quite like my own name, so it's really unlikely. Also to be completely honest I have some issues (which I really ought to work on) about not being too "submissive", so again I probably wouldn't. On the other hand I sort of like the idea of couples "matching" with regards to last names so perhaps I wouldn't mind him taking mine...of course that seems horribly hypocritical. And by the same token I'm paranoid about becoming too "dominant" (what can I say I'm a sucker for the "equal" relationship). So I think my final answer would probably be, "No I wouldn't take his", "He could take mine if he wanted to but I wouldn't ask or expect it." On the other hand we must also consider other factors. Like is this going to be the norm in the gay community? If not people might mistake us for brothers or cousins or something . I sort of like the hyphan idea. Almost seems like the perfect solution. It sends a clear "couples" message, and people are less likely to mistake you for blood relatives, but it's equitable and everyone's name gets coverage. On the other hand I hate signing my whole name as it is, if I had one that much longer...but I could make the sacrifice for something like this of course...And I'd want it done straight alphabetically as far as whose name goes first, since my own last name is right in the middle part of the alphabet it could go either way, and I quite like that since I'm not even sure if I'd want my name first or last anyway. Ok so I probably made that WAY more complicated than I should have Have an awesome day everyone and take care! Kevin
xander Posted February 22, 2006 Posted February 22, 2006 Ooo, ur name is like mine....lol... K, back to the topic I agree with Kevin...I also quite like my last name and wouldnt just want to give it up. When my mom got remarried, my real dad made sure to remind me that "I was born a 'last-name', and I'll die a 'last-name'", and that seemed to instill some pride in me to have that name. So I also like the idea of hyphenation between couples. Xan
JamesSavik Posted February 22, 2006 Posted February 22, 2006 I've never thought about this. As most marriages take the surname of the man, what happens when there are two men? I suggest that the happy couple takes the surname of the top. Good question Jules.
JSmith Posted February 22, 2006 Posted February 22, 2006 My last name is a b***h sometimes as most people cant pronounce/spell it, but I still wouldn't want to change it. As Kevin said people may mistake you for brothers or other relatives rather than a couple. Does anyone know someone personally who legally changed his/her name to their same-sex significant other?
hughmelbourne Posted February 22, 2006 Posted February 22, 2006 well, his surname is really, really cool, but no. Perhaps as a second middle name, ie; Hugh *middle name* *his surname* *my surname* BTW, Julian, are you British? You spelt 'mum' correctly
sumbloke Posted February 22, 2006 Posted February 22, 2006 (edited) Seb's family tradition is both names anyway - he uses both his parents' and so do they so that's the way we'll go. I like his name well enough though it's not easy to read the pronunciation correctly for lots of people. I would want to keep my name because it's culturally significant - it identifies me as Jewish which I'm proud of. Of course I do worry about saddling sprogs with an unpronounceable Basque-Jewish hybrid name! Still, that won't bother them - they'll be too busy living down their forenames: Moonbeam, Sunshine, Stardust... Edited February 22, 2006 by sumbloke
Julian Alexander Posted February 22, 2006 Author Posted February 22, 2006 well, his surname is really, really cool, but no. Perhaps as a second middle name, ie; Hugh *middle name* *his surname* *my surname* BTW, Julian, are you British? You spelt 'mum' correctly No not im not a Brit or have any Brit blood in me, hehe. I sometimes spell stuff both in American-English and British-English, kind of comes from reading stories that are filled with it and it gets stuck with me, just like i get stuck with diffrent accents also. So far i like what i see in this "poll", hehe. Lets see what in the end it would show. Jules
NaperVic Posted February 22, 2006 Posted February 22, 2006 The BF and I sometimes jokingly refer to our household with our hyphenated last names when we answer the phone or invite people to parties - "Domaholic-Cruise residence, may I help you" or "You are cordially invited to the Domaholic-Cruise household for a night of food, fun, & friendship..." However, the name of our wireless network is a combination of the first part of his last name and the last part of my last name. "Cruaholic" So we have all kinds of fun combining our names. We would never get mistaken for brothers since we are both racially different. I guess the question is more for the children, that is, if we have (adopt) children. What last name will they take or will they hyphenate??
libbonobo Posted February 23, 2006 Posted February 23, 2006 HYPHEN ALL THE WAY!!!!! The trouble with hyphens: "I am Inigo Esquivel-Sanchez-Lopez-Mendoza de Fernandez-Isla-Mercedes-Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Try repeating that the requisite number of times.... As for mawwiage: "Mawwiage. Mawwiage is what bwings us togethew today. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam within a dweam. And wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah and evah 1
Tom Posted February 23, 2006 Posted February 23, 2006 You bet!! I've allready disowned the person that gave me my name....so getting rid of the name entirely would just cut all the ties
xander Posted February 23, 2006 Posted February 23, 2006 "Mawwiage. Mawwiage is what bwings us togethew today. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam within a dweam. And wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah and evah
Trebs Posted February 23, 2006 Posted February 23, 2006 Friends of mine actually had that phrase - though in a normal voice - read by the minister to open their wedding... Those in the crowd who got it, started cracking up...
Guest miss jarvi Posted February 23, 2006 Posted February 23, 2006 (edited) Would the person who changes there name, be obligated to get pregnant if they ever decided to have kids? Edited February 23, 2006 by miss jarvi
TheZot Posted February 23, 2006 Posted February 23, 2006 Would the person who changes there name, be obligated to get pregnant if they ever decided to have kids?Not obligated, no, but I hear it's real fun to try...
Caipirinha Posted February 24, 2006 Posted February 24, 2006 While I'm not sure that I entirely belive in marriage (read: want to get married) I'm fairly certain that if I ever did I'd keep my name. I mean Luigi O'McIrish just wouldn't sound right, you know? ;-)
Wynter Posted February 26, 2006 Posted February 26, 2006 I have a disgustingly common name that I wouldnt mind changing. I think it would depend on the guy, his name and whether or not we intend to have children (adoption obviously). Hyphenated names are ok for the first generation but imagine what it would be like if your child was gay. What's he/She gonna do? a Hyphenated name with 3 or 4 parts in it? I also like the idea of creating a new name out of the old ones. Sort of like what Vic was talking about with his'Cruaholic' network. Wynter
Guest Katrina Posted February 26, 2006 Posted February 26, 2006 I want a new last name! Mine's so boring! I'd change my last name in a heartbeat, as long as my sig.other's name is shorter than mine...
magickalme Posted February 26, 2006 Posted February 26, 2006 I'm def taking my fiances name though the hyphen idea is starting to sound good
Davey Posted February 26, 2006 Posted February 26, 2006 I already use C's last name, not officially but sometimes I'll introduce my self by it When we get married I'll do it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now