Robin Williams Dead at 63

• Site Administrator

This sucks for everyone.  Robin was an artistic genius.  May he rest in peace and peace be with his family.

• Like 1

He was a great comedian, an actor of extraordinary talent, and a great human being, who fought against many issues.

If the preliminary reports are correct, he took his own life, sadly.

He was a touchstone for all generations and will be missed.

They say he had been recently battling severe depression and had suffered from depression in the past.

So, so sad. He was such a great talent. He was very good in his dramatic roles but it was his comedy roles that just were so, so funny. You could tell he just loved to make people laugh.

He will be missed.

RIP, Robin.

• Like 1

Very sad. Having lost a close loved one to suicide years ago, anytime I hear of one I'm stopped in my tracks. To lose such a giant, genuine, original performer in such a manner is heartbreaking. I hope his wife, kids, and other loved ones can come to find peace in time.

• Like 1

This is so sad, he was a genius  :,(  I loved him in "Dead poets society", "Will Hunting" and "the Birdcage" and many, many more movies. I was so happy for him when he won an Oscar.  So sad  :,(  RIP Robin 

Edited by slytherin
  • Like 3

Watching reruns of Mork and Mindy was a family affair, and we always got together as a family to see whatever he starred in.  It's funny how a person I never knew was such an integral part of my childhood.  He will surely be missed.

This is so sad, he was a genius  :,(  I loved him in "Dead poets society", "Will Hunting" and "the Birdcage" and many, many more movies. I was so happy for him when he won an Oscar.  So sad  :,(  RIP Robin 

Yes, Dead Poets Society and The Birdcage! Such wonderful films. Also, Patch Adams.

And, most appropriately and heartbreakingly, What Dreams May Come <3.

• Like 1

This was an awful thing to wake up to. the world is a greyer and less funny place. In so many of his films, no one else could have done what he did.

Good Morning Vietnam tonight methinks.

Depression is such a terrible thing, it takes those we care about and leaves no symptomatic evidence behind, you can't throw drugs at it and it's hard to diagnose, and it seems to last forever. This is a great sadness.

• Like 4

A true genius and enormous wit.  Robin will be sorely missed.  His roles varied, both on the big screen and the little screen, and surprisingly some of his most memorable roles are the dramatic ones he did.  I loved him as Mork and everything that followed.  RIP, Robin. 

• Like 1

I heard on the radio this morning that he has three or four films that are coming out this year and/or next year.

I was listening to The Highway on XM and they were talking about how Conan O'Brien, Andy Richter, and guest star Will Arnett found out about it during Conan's show. One of them knew Robin and said that he was so funny and always making jokes but on the inside he was crying and no one ever knew. That's so sad. And of course that just proves what an amazing actor he was, to be able to pull that off w/o anyone knowing how he really felt.

He will be missed.

• Like 1

So sad...............I've heard it said before that the line between genius and madness is a thin one. I wonder now if depression is a form of madness. He will be truly missed if not for his comedic genius but for also his dramatic roles in films.

• Like 1

what Sasha said - it's a great shame that some media jocks said such cruel and ignorant things about him being "selfish" - depression is a serious mental illness and it does not discriminate between the great the good and the bad. Robin Williams made millions of people laugh - and cry. He made the World a better place.

• Like 2

The major media in the US is pointing out that the death of Robin Williams is a wake-up call that Major Depression is a serious medical condition.  Suicide is a world wide problem and one of the leading causes of death. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/robin-williams-death/deadly-stigma-robin-williams-suicide-exposes-silent-epidemic-n179206

I woke up yesterday, and my friend was checking the news and was like, 'No! Robin Williams is dead!' and I just couldn't believe it at first. I don't think it's quite hit me yet... I love all his movies, from the silly to the serious, and his stand-up, and essentially just everything he's ever done. Today, I was so upset to hear that people have been calling him a coward for killing himself and harassing his kids on social media. People suck. 

Even the mightiest mountain is eroded by wind and snow and rain and ice, and it's the same with people. Enough time, enough shit, and the strongest people in the world lose their will to live. My thoughts are with his family, and he will be missed. As far as I'm concerned, he was a hero. Oh, Captain, my captain!

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

I luckily had the opportunity to meet him and talk to him briefly over several days. He was filming the movie RV (not the best one :P) and staying in the hotel across the street from the store I was working at. Every morning at opening and every evening he would come in for a coffee and a sandwich.

He joked that he needed his exercise and needed to eat healthy, but asked everyone not to tell about his Starbucks weakness :P Over the few weeks, he got to know a lot of the staff's names and was always in a great upbeat mood. Towards the end, customers began to find out about his bi daily appearances and started stalking out the store. Never had the opportunity to say goodbye, or sorry :(

I too grew up with him and somewhat remember Mork and Mindy. I have seen many of his movies and always amazed that he could play and be so many different characters. My all time favourite would have to be Patch Adams. I don't think he needed to do anything special for that role, as I imagine if he had a MD license that would be the type of doctor he would be :)

I will miss him too.

• Like 4

I'm absolutely disgusted! I just heard that Robin William's Daughter, Zelda, has had to suspend social network accounts because of people trolling her about her father's death.

Those people are the lowest of the low.

Edited by Iarwain
  • Like 3

I'm absolutely disgusted! I just heard that Robin William's Daughter, Zelda, has had to suspend social network accounts because of people trolling her about her father's death.

Those people are the lowest of the low.

:,(  how can people be so cruel and heartless ??  Poor girl and the family !  :,(

• Like 1