Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

I may have been a bit excited in my review... nah...

CJ  :wub:  Owen  :D

Apart from my obvious subtle approval for one small item in the letter, there were several things that worked really well - the interaction between Owen and his sister, again a very natural interaction (including being told off using his full name), the fact that is was a hand written note on good quality paper has to make it more special and some nice one liners including...

I’m telling you, if college doesn’t work out, I’m becoming a tour guide.

Not sure how Dad and Papa will feel about this but if he needs a job during college, I think he has found it.

It was good to get some insight into how this collection of events has changed CJ - it was interesting to once again hear about the interaction with his "mother", I had forgotten how intense that was, how important it was in the development of his character from kid to young adult.

• Like 2

Nice chapter Carlos.

Thanks, Dugh. I'll reply to revies a bit later in the day after the caffeine's had a chance to work its magic.

Very nice chapter!   Bucket's review says it all!

It does? I need to get up to speed on emojis. Not sure I got Buck's meaning...

I may have been a bit excited in my review... nah...

CJ  :wub:  Owen  :D

Apart from my obvious subtle approval for one small item in the letter, there were several things that worked really well - the interaction between Owen and his sister, again a very natural interaction (including being told off using his full name), the fact that is was a hand written note on good quality paper has to make it more special and some nice one liners including...

I’m telling you, if college doesn’t work out, I’m becoming a tour guide.

Not sure how Dad and Papa will feel about this but if he needs a job during college, I think he has found it.

It was good to get some insight into how this collection of events has changed CJ - it was interesting to once again hear about the interaction with his "mother", I had forgotten how intense that was, how important it was in the development of his character from kid to young adult.

I guess you're talking to me after all.

What? You like the fact we're all going back to Oz? I hope I didn't mangle their Oztrayan too badly.

I must caution everyone this doesn't mean those two horn dogs will end up together. At CJ's age hormones can cause confusion between lust and love.

As for Elizabeth, I wanted her cheeky tone to remind us how clever and perceptive she was when we last saw her. Let's hope she's not too disappointed if it doesn't work out.

• Like 1

Thanks, Dugh. I'll reply to revies a bit later in the day after the caffeine's had a chance to work its magic.

It does? I need to get up to speed on emojis. Not sure I got Buck's meaning...

I guess you're talking to me after all.

What? You like the fact we're all going back to Oz? I hope I didn't mangle their Oztrayan too badly.

I must caution everyone this doesn't mean those two horn dogs will end up together. At CJ's age hormones can cause confusion between lust and love.

As for Elizabeth, I wanted her cheeky tone to remind us how clever and perceptive she was when we last saw her. Let's hope she's not too disappointed if it doesn't work out.

Whether CJ and Owen get together for HEA is up to an evil evil man who likes to tease poor innocent readers - he can't be trusted :P

I hope that the Dad's are right - regardless of the long term future for Cowen (apologies for the portmanteau) - I hope he can learn that there are people to trust and fall in love with.

Lizzie is awesome and a good foil for Owen

• Like 2

Whether CJ and Owen get together for HEA is up to an evil evil man who likes to tease poor innocent readers - he can't be trusted :P

I hope that the Dad's are right - regardless of the long term future for Cowen (apologies for the portmanteau) - I hope he can learn that there are people to trust and fall in love with.

Lizzie is awesome and a good foil for Owen

Moi? Evil?

Now, was I to have CJ brand Owen...

Funny thing is the description of the stationery was my attempt at showing the rich kid's acquired some good habits and has good taste. Almost had him use wax to seal it. Hopefully had I done so Mann would have warned me. But you can't trust that bloody author to tell me anything in advance. Speaking of evil...

• Like 2

Some thing I didn't mention in my review, the title of the chapter reminded me of that old Bon Jovi song "I'll Be There For You." I almost thought that was the reference until it was something Brett said. Brett quotes being the title of a chapter seems to be a running theme here.

Don't rain on our CJ/Owen parade Carlos! Hey even if they don't ultimately work out, they could still be good together. I personally think there's more to it than lust at this point, since they've had both time and distance to reflect on what they think and feel about the other. I think if they keep up the regular contact and Skyping that'll go a long way toward seeing what exists between them. Plus Owen is moving there.

But hey I'm not the "author" or whatever, so I guess I could be wrong :D

• Like 1

Moi? Evil?

Now, was I to have CJ brand Owen...

Funny thing is the description of the stationery was my attempt at showing the rich kid's acquired some good habits and has good taste. Almost had him use wax to seal it. Hopefully had I done so Mann would have warned me. But you can't trust that bloody author to tell me anything in advance. Speaking of evil...

The rich kid doesn't just absorb good taste - have you seen any American reality TV? The good habits and good taste were duly noted and appreciated by both this reader and Owen

• Like 3

Some thing I didn't mention in my review, the title of the chapter reminded me of that old Bon Jovi song "I'll Be There For You." I almost thought that was the reference until it was something Brett said. Brett quotes being the title of a chapter seems to be a running theme here.

Don't rain on our CJ/Owen parade Carlos! Hey even if they don't ultimately work out, they could still be good together. I personally think there's more to it than lust at this point, since they've had both time and distance to reflect on what they think and feel about the other. I think if they keep up the regular contact and Skyping that'll go a long way toward seeing what exists between them. Plus Owen is moving there.

But hey I'm not the "author" or whatever, so I guess I could be wrong :D

It isn't always Brett, but go check the final line of EVERY chapter of Spring and compare them to the title :D

Def seems to have changed her tune about CJ and Chipper ending up together, but you have no idea how many emails I've received with people wanting CJ to have a boyfriend. First it was Harley, then Chipper, lately it's Owen. Speculation's good, it keeps me on my toes!

• Like 1

It isn't always Brett, but go check the final line of EVERY chapter of Spring and compare them to the title :D

Def seems to have changed her tune about CJ and Chipper ending up together, but you have no idea how many emails I've received with people wanting CJ to have a boyfriend. First it was Harley, then Chipper, lately it's Owen. Speculation's good, it keeps me on my toes!

I personally never would have considered Harley a good match for CJ simply because I thought he was straight. I mean I guess it's possible he'd be open to such a relationship, but the straight guy "going gay" for the protagonist of the story is such a cliche. Plus there'd be no reason to hide if he was attracted to CJ. Especially considered that CJ is outspoken about his sexuality and they all are part of the GSA.

CJ/Chipper I guess could be a thing, they have at least had sex. But how much of that was Chipper being fully invested in that and how much was just exploration and bonding with his friend? Sex itself (obviously) does not equal love. I just think CJ and Owen have been written to have a deeper connection. Even Chipper seems to think so. Plus I like romance, sue me :P

• Like 2

I personally never would have considered Harley a good match for CJ simply because I thought he was straight. I mean I guess it's possible he'd be open to such a relationship, but the straight guy "going gay" for the protagonist of the story is such a cliche. Plus there'd be no reason to hide if he was attracted to CJ. Especially considered that CJ is outspoken about his sexuality and they all are part of the GSA.

CJ/Chipper I guess could be a thing, they have at least had sex. But how much of that was Chipper being fully invested in that and how much was just exploration and bonding with his friend? Sex itself (obviously) does not equal love. I just think CJ and Owen have been written to have a deeper connection. Even Chipper seems to think so. Plus I like romance, sue me :P

LMAO!

Damn, and here I keep saying I don't want to write a sappy romance novel. I think Owen's a bit more on the gushy romance type while CJ will show it in a more 'natural' way.

You're so right about the straight best friend turning gay being such a cliche. If you ever catch me doing anything stupid like that, please spank me! :yes:

• Like 1

LMAO!

Damn, and here I keep saying I don't want to write a sappy romance novel. I think Owen's a bit more on the gushy romance type while CJ will show it in a more 'natural' way.

You're so right about the straight best friend turning gay being such a cliche. If you ever catch me doing anything stupid like that, please spank me! :yes:

It doesn't have to be sappy! There's plenty of stories that incorporate romantic plots without it being the driving force behind it all. But you know I love what you do, so by all means stick to your guns and tell the story that you want to tell. Us readers always have plenty of suggestions but they're definitely not always the right ones.

Oh and you can count on the spanking! :D

• Like 1

I think you are right about Chipper - that was more about bonding "bonobo style" than romantic love

There are two reasons why I wouldn't want CJ and Harley to get together, firstly Harley is in love with Cap not CJ and secondly it would mean that the post sex/before sleep small talk would go on for hours and hours and hours.

• Like 4

I think you are right about Chipper - that was more about bonding "bonobo style" than romantic love

There are two reasons why I wouldn't want CJ and Harley to get together, firstly Harley is in love with Cap not CJ and secondly it would mean that the post sex/before sleep small talk would go on for hours and hours and hours.

You made me laugh! I'd need a ball gag for Harley!

• Like 2

I can't believe no one noticed befor this! You have been doing this forever!

there'd be no reason to hide if he was attracted to CJ. :P

I am not sure Harley COULD hide an attraction! His motor mouth would be bound to get ahead of his brain sooner or later.

• Like 5

Thanks for the reminder Bucket, I was going to mention Harley's obvious mega crush on Brett too. Plus yeah, those drugs would have to make a comeback in Harely's drink, only for post coitus, simply so CJ could get some quiet time.

• Like 2

I can't believe no one noticed befor this! You have been doing this forever!

What makes you think it hadn't been noticed just not commented on ... seemed a very clever intended writers style point.

• Like 2

I suspect that while CJ might be in NYC it's cold and rainy in the city, he's curled up in bed with Owen. Def's still tryin' to figure out a way to scale the outside of the building because she can't seem to talk her way past that doorman, charming as she might be. Sean's still worn out from their previous night out ...

Edited by dughlas
  • Like 3

Fleet week in new York! The town's chockfull of sailors.

Is CJ there this weekend? And for that matter, where are Def and Sean today? :D

Aren't you jumping the gun.. I thought that was next weekend.... 

I suspect that while CJ might be in NYC it's cold and rainy in the city, he's curled up in bed with Owen. Def's still tryin' to figure out a way to scale the outside of the building because she can't seem to talk her way past that doorman, charming as she might be. Sean's still worn out from their previous night out ...

:rofl:   But being a spy and all, I have tools in my bag of tricks. Don't count me out just yet.. 

• Like 3

:rofl:   But being a spy and all, I have tools in my bag of tricks. Don't count me out just yet.. 

As usual, I keep a chronological list of events I may want to use as a setting or background in the future. I may have gotten the wrong weekend but all I kept thinking about was all those squids needing companionship. :D

Assuming CJ's in the apartment still in bed, who says its Owen with him? It might just be Sean. Or maybe both?

As usual, I keep a chronological list of events I may want to use as a setting or background in the future. I may have gotten the wrong weekend but all I kept thinking about was all those squids needing companionship. :D

Assuming CJ's in the apartment still in bed, who says its Owen with him? It might just be Sean. Or maybe both?

Def wore Sean out last night, besides I see him as uncle/big brother not lover ... and ... I'm holding out for a future of some sort for CJ and Owen it might be something casual but I like to think that there will always be some deeper connection beyond friendship even if they each end up with someone else.

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

Def wore Sean out last night, besides I see him as uncle/big brother not lover ... and ... I'm holding out for a future of some sort for CJ and Owen it might be something casual but I like to think that there will always be some deeper connection beyond friendship even if they each end up with someone else.

I'm with Dugh on this point. Sean is definitely the older brother/uncle type where CJ is concerned and he wears that mantle well. The way he took care of Jose-Maria and Bernardo - and CJ in the aftermath - is an awesome example of that role in action.  Besides, CJ has reconnected with Owen, so I don't seem cheating on Owen by being with another guy.