Warning Label For Bad Fiction

• Site Administrator

I've seen this. It's funny! This is a humorous take on Amazon's new policy about to go into effect that stories where readers have complained about the editing will get a 'warning label'. Of course, some authors are up in arms over it, but they promise it won't be an automatic event (a real person will investigate the complaints and authors have a chance to fix the issues) that will target and slam authors with speculative fiction and use 'made up' words.

• Like 2

Who is Mary Sue?

Characters sniff, snarl and smile through their dialogue.

In something I'm reading now, the boss scowls, the dog scowls, Mary Sue scowls- everybody scowls.

No one is pensive. No one is thoughtful. No one is worried. They just scowl. 

scowl.jpg

scowl2.jpg

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 4
  • Site Administrator

Who is Mary Sue?

http://www.springhole.net/writing/whatisamarysue.htm

In a lot of stories I've read lately it seems like everyone is shaking their head.  There have got to be some serious headaches going on from all the head shaking.  lol

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

Goes back and checks frantically.

No worries, Adi.  Your characters don't shake their brains into oblivion.  lol  I'd tell you if it was excessive. ;) 

• Like 2

Oh, come on... Don't we all know a "Mary Sue" person in real life? I'm pretty sure I've known someone at each point in my life where everything seems to fall into place for them. I know, there's that magic word seems... but, still. They do exist.

Now, I've never used one of these exceptional people in my writing and, I suppose, I won't ever be allowed to. Not without derision :thumbdown:, condescension <_< and a warning label.ban.gif  

• Like 3

Oh, come on... Don't we all know a "Mary Sue" person in real life? I'm pretty sure I've known someone at each point in my life where everything seems to fall into place for them. I know, there's that magic word seems... but, still. They do exist.

Now, I've never used one of these exceptional people in my writing and, I suppose, I won't ever be allowed to. Not without derision :thumbdown:, condescension <_< and a warning label.ban.gif  

Good old Mary Sue and her twin brother Gary Stu. :rofl:  Fanfiction is a place where Mary Sue and her brother thrive. It is an ungodly place, where 13 year old girls save Navy Seals and 14 year old boys catch RPG's with their bare hands to save their comrades from the hordes of Somali or Russian enemies.  <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately, there was a bit of a witch hunt craze for Mary Sues a few years ago, and suddenly EVERY character was a Mary Sue. There were "tests" your character could take that would determine whether or not your character was a Mary Sue, so that if your character were not stupid, untalented, miserable, mean, and one-legged, he/she would be labeled a "Mary Sue". It would drag characters out of the complicated contexts of their stories and try to proclaim that any character with a special power or secret lineage HAD to be a Mary Sue and therefore terrible. 

Luckily we've moved beyond that witch hunt, and I think it's mostly a fanfiction problem, because when you're 15, your characters tend to lean in that direction (guilty as charged, aha). But I have found much more prevalent (and annoying) character tropes in original fiction that don't have much to do with Mary Sues, so I worry more about those instead. 

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...