I make a point to reply to all comments on my stories. I will admit it can sometimes take me awhle to reply, sometimes I forget to check, or I get busy. I found one comment from a year ago the other day :o how I missed it I have no idea. But, I still replied - with an apology, of course. 

I also am trying to make an effort to comment on stories I am reading to show authors I am enjoying their work. Again it is slow going, but I will get there. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Caz Pedroso said:

I make a point to reply to all comments on my stories. I will admit it can sometimes take me awhle to reply, sometimes I forget to check, or I get busy. I found one comment from a year ago the other day :o how I missed it I have no idea. But, I still replied - with an apology, of course. 

I also am trying to make an effort to comment on stories I am reading to show authors I am enjoying their work. Again it is slow going, but I will get there. 

I know it's hard to keep up on comments. Constantly going back.

I was referring not to stories specifically. You know your faithful readers. There are certain authors who interact with you on their story. While ignoring some readers and acknowledging others on the rest of site. I just find that extremely rude. Especially if you know they're a dedicated reader to your stories.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@MrM and @BlindAmbition - I find that the Activity Stream (Activity -> My Activity Streams -> Newest Comments On My Stories/Chapters) is a useful way of tracking comments on your own work.  And actually, I’ve started getting notifications about comments too, though that may still be ‘in progress’ I’m not sure.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Sam Wyer said:

@MrM and @BlindAmbition - I find that the Activity Stream (Activity -> My Activity Streams -> Newest Comments On My Stories/Chapters) is a useful way of tracking comments on your own work.  And actually, I’ve started getting notifications about comments too, though that may still be ‘in progress’ I’m not sure.

Thanks @Sam Wyer. I think Myr tried to point this out to me once before, but I was too stupid to find the right place. I'll try again. I almost know what I'm doing sometimes. :P

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Parker Owens said:

I agree with Cassie here. I sometimes get overwhelmed by work and life, and so fall behind on responding to readers. Still, I do my best to get back to those who comment eventually. I rejoice at each one. 

Yes, this, exactly.  It sometimes takes me a while, but I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Any comment made on one of stories is replied to. I try to respond to them as quickly as possible; but there were a few that went a while before I responded. Every comment is greatly appreciated and I try to convey that in my responses. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

You know  I reply to all comments left on my stories. And I do participate in the CJ series discussion thread. But I do not use GA as a socializing place as much as others. My participation aside from reading and writing is extremely limited except where it relates to topics I find interesting. Known writing related subjects I generally ignore.

Thank you Carlos for participating. Yes, I know your time is limited. You do interact on CJ discussion. You have even commented on a couple of my blogs. You do engage your readers.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Solus Magus said:

I would always try to reply to comments. Heck, I would even try to attempt to make a conversation out of it.

Comments are good forms of feedback for improvement. Interacting with readers are fun, especially if I know that they are liking the output. It gives me confidence to go forth and keep on writing. Sometimes, the lack of feedback would really drag my motivation down to keep writing. As an author, it feels like my output is not being enjoyed by others anymore.

Solus, you interact quite a bit. In regards to your writing, I don’t think it’s your writing people don’t like. Fan Fiction is not one of the most popular genres. I have to find it, but either @Myr or @BHopper2 posted the popularity of each genre.

• Like 4
56 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

Solus, you interact quite a bit. In regards to your writing, I don’t think it’s your writing people don’t like. Fan Fiction is not one of the most popular genres. I have to find it, but either @Myr or @BHopper2 posted the popularity of each genre.

It's scattered in a couple of different topics, but jp is correct Solus. The most viewed genre is Romance, Followed by Drama. In most Modern settings. Fantasy is third, then the others with SciFi being dead last. FanFic is about equal to SciFi in populism, and it's not just on GA, but throughout the whole industry.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
3 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

2 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

It's scattered in a couple of different topics, but jp is correct Solus. The most viewed genre is Romance, Followed by Drama. In most Modern settings. Fantasy is third, then the others with SciFi being dead last. FanFic is about equal to SciFi in populism, and it's not just on GA, but throughout the whole industry.

Um.  No.  FanFiction is very, very popular.  It's just not that active here.     @BHopper2 comparison here is very apples vs oranges.  Fiction, FanFiction, Poetry, Anthology, and Non-Fiction are categories in our system.  Any of them can have any number of genres.  Information on categories is limited to number of stories posted and none of that compares to genres, as genres are a subset of categories.  As the information below shows, FanFiction is HUGELY popular.  There are tens of thousands of more gay stories on FanFiction alone than we have on Gay Authors in total. 

On 10/5/2017 at 5:31 PM, Myr said:

FanFiction has 775,000 Harry Potter stories.  59,600 of those are Harry/Draco tagged stories.  The vast majority of those would be "slash", the FanFic term for gay stories.  Gay Authors has a total of 4,259 as of this post.  Is your mind blown?  Mine is.

To be clear.  That is just 1 category of FanFiction and only one listed pairing.  FanFiction is a vastly larger site that Gay Authors is.  There are a lot of really good FanFiction authors out there but they tend to drift to a few select sites that deal exclusively with FanFiction, versus an open format site like GA.

FanFiction is very popular on Nifty too... if you include the /celebrity and /celebrity/boybands in your definition of FanFiction.  (Milage varies there on what constitutes FanFiction)

We do not have accurate tracking data on what is currently popular with readers.  (this is a different group that people that comment/review).  We're adding that into Stories 2.3.  We've started work on Stories 2.2 with our programmer, so it won't be until early 2018 until we get more detailed statistic tracking in place. 

On 11/9/2017 at 12:41 PM, BlindAmbition said:

Comments on stories are hard. The notification system doesn’t work.

Is there a recent incident where this does not work?  They've been firing off a rather lot in the last couple of weeks.

I hope this helps.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Myr said:

Um.  No.  FanFiction is very, very popular.  It's just not that active here.     @BHopper2 comparison here is very apples vs oranges.  Fiction, FanFiction, Poetry, Anthology, and Non-Fiction are categories in our system.  Any of them can have any number of genres.  Information on categories is limited to number of stories posted and none of that compares to genres, as genres are a subset of categories.  As the information below shows, FanFiction is HUGELY popular.  There are tens of thousands of more gay stories on FanFiction alone than we have on Gay Authors in total. 

To be clear.  That is just 1 category of FanFiction and only one listed pairing.  FanFiction is a vastly larger site that Gay Authors is.  There are a lot of really good FanFiction authors out there but they tend to drift to a few select sites that deal exclusively with FanFiction, versus an open format site like GA.

FanFiction is very popular on Nifty too... if you include the /celebrity and /celebrity/boybands in your definition of FanFiction.  (Milage varies there on what constitutes FanFiction)

We do not have accurate tracking data on what is currently popular with readers.  (this is a different group that people that comment/review).  We're adding that into Stories 2.3.  We've started work on Stories 2.2 with our programmer, so it won't be until early 2018 until we get more detailed statistic tracking in place. 

Is there a recent incident where this does not work?  They've been firing off a rather lot in the last couple of weeks.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for clarifying Myr. With the comments I was referring to I check myself. I don’t rely on notifications. I use activity stream. For now I don’t see issues with comments. I know that’s a beast of a headache you guys manage.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
3 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

know that’s a beast of a headache you guys manage.

Yes, it is.  We discovered an odd issue with the built-in notification system where it arbitrarily cuts off notifications after a certain point.  That's on the bug list and hopefully will be fixed as we roll out to Stories 2.2.

• Love 3