The Drop in Centre

3 hours ago, kbois said:

I wish I knew about that place in DC when I lived in Maryland. I would've been all over that!

Hope everyone is having a good week!

P.S. New Marvel movie is out.....guess what we're doing for date night? 🤔🤭🙄

It was down in Georgetown. Our standard Friday/Saturday night was head down early and, depending on the ages of the guys involved, either head to a bar or see an early movie after the makeup/hair color. Then it was off to the midnight showing of Rocky Horror at the Key in Georgetown. I've probably seen Rocky Horror 200+ times counting there and the Halloween shows at the University of Maryland. I live within walking distance of the campus.

As for movies, the last movie I saw in the theater was ET when it was new. I've never seen a Marvel movie, guess they are good? I don't have the attention span to watch movies, I always feel like there's something better I could be doing after like 20 minutes.

Got to tell you about the parking in Georgetown. People would park and leave like maybe 2/3 of a parking place but have a lot of space behind them. So I'd pull in and just gently push them backward until my car fit in the slot. Usually by 2am when we were heading out the others had gone, if not you just pushed cars front and back until you could escape.

• Like 2

Twenty years ago I was on my second day of training for a new job with Liberty Travel. It was in Mahwah, NJ, about 15-20 miles outside of NYC. There were 37 of us in the class. Three weeks later only 12 of us still had jobs. The travel industry took a massive blow. 

My husband was on a plane from Hartford to Baltimore. He flew over NYC about 20-25 minutes before the first tower was hit. He saw the iconic skyline through crystal clear skies and he remembers thinking 'what an awesome sight'. 

When we heard the news, I had nearly an hour of near panic anxiety, not know what airline was involved. We finally connected mid-afternoon. I was never so relieved to hear his voice. 

A few of my fellow trainees and I took a ride that afternoon. When we came around a corner and the smoke filled skyline filled our sight, we were stunned. Tears flowed freely. 

I still get chills when I see the images from that day. One I will never forget.

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

When was the last time you gave yourself permission to do nothing? If you’re like us, it’s been a while. Being in a state of overwhelm feels like the new norm and when we do finally slow down, we’re just way too hard on ourselves.

Society has conditioned us to think that if we’re not being productive, we’re just being lazy. Let’s reframe this belief because 1) it’s nonsense and 2) we literally need breaks. Rest activates our parasympathetic nervous system, reducing stress, boosting creativity, and improving our health.

You’re not what you accomplish, so consider this your permission to relax.

from the Sanvello Team

I have no problem giving myself permission to do absolutely nothing. I consider it self care and I honestly don't care what society thinks.  

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

When was the last time you gave yourself permission to do nothing? If you’re like us, it’s been a while. Being in a state of overwhelm feels like the new norm and when we do finally slow down, we’re just way too hard on ourselves.

Society has conditioned us to think that if we’re not being productive, we’re just being lazy. Let’s reframe this belief because 1) it’s nonsense and 2) we literally need breaks. Rest activates our parasympathetic nervous system, reducing stress, boosting creativity, and improving our health.

You’re not what you accomplish, so consider this your permission to relax.

from the Sanvello Team

My Noom program teaches that too. Yesterday's lesson? Take the day off. No logging food. No logging water. No tracking steps. No lessons. Just do something for yourself. 

Sometimes it's hard to slow down, but @spyke is right... It's self care..... and it's important. 

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, Story Reader said:

I found out earlier that my sister is in quarantine at her apartment with covid. She had her 2nd dose of phizer in April. Pleas say a prayer for my sister Mary Lou!

Sending positive thoughts your way.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Sleeping pill or no sleeping pill, I keep waking up at 2:30 am, IDK whats going on but it freaking socks. The worst is by early evening I'm dragging with no energy and keep slipping into SEVERAL short naps....has anyone else have/had this problem ?

• Like 3

Unfortunately I have issues with interrupted sleep also. Mine are probably caused by a different thing than you. I have to get up every 2 to 3 hours to urinate. It's an old man type of thing I suppose.

I've never been much of a sleeper so I'm not sure how much it bothers me. 4-5 hours is all I need.

If I do get tired at all it's in the afternoon around 1pm but that happens seldom.

I suppose you've tried the natural sleep aids like melatonin?

2 hours ago, 1brokNangel said:

Sleeping pill or no sleeping pill, I keep waking up at 2:30 am, IDK whats going on but it freaking socks. The worst is by early evening I'm dragging with no energy and keep slipping into SEVERAL short naps....has anyone else have/had this problem ?

• Like 4
3 hours ago, 1brokNangel said:

I can totally relate. I take melatonin, and usually 4-5 ibuprofen pm every night and I still wake up every couple of hours. I have no idea when the last time was that I slept through the night. Definitely before I had kids... so close to 25 years?

I'm used to it. Most nights I wake up because I'm roasting hot, even without the covers on me, A/C set on 72 and a fan blowing at me.

If you find something that works, please share! 

Hope everyone has a good week!

• Like 5
6 hours ago, 1brokNangel said:

Maybe it's time for you to get a sleep study done to see if you have sleep apnea. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

Unfortunately I have issues with interrupted sleep also. Mine are probably caused by a different thing than you. I have to get up every 2 to 3 hours to urinate. It's an old man type of thing I suppose.

I've never been much of a sleeper so I'm not sure how much it bothers me. 4-5 hours is all I need.

If I do get tired at all it's in the afternoon around 1pm but that happens seldom.

I suppose you've tried the natural sleep aids like melatonin?

I haven't tried any natural sleep aid but my dr has me on trazadone it puts me to sleep but only for a couple of hours, and when I do use it the next day my butt is dragging bc I'm so tried I don't think thats a side effect that I should have to deal with.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, kbois said:

I can totally relate. I take melatonin, and usually 4-5 ibuprofen pm every night and I still wake up every couple of hours. I have no idea when the last time was that I slept through the night. Definitely before I had kids... so close to 25 years?

I'm used to it. Most nights I wake up because I'm roasting hot, even without the covers on me, A/C set on 72 and a fan blowing at me.

If you find something that works, please share! 

Hope everyone has a good week!

if I find something that helps I'll be screaming it from the rooftops, ibuprofen in any form is a no for me unless my Dr prescribes bc of the effects it would have on my liver.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, spyke said:

Maybe it's time for you to get a sleep study done to see if you have sleep apnea. 

my Dr and I have talked about that, he said its a possibility that I may have it.

I just hate going to the Dr it seems like everything I go there's more wrong than right with me....my body hates me.

Getting old is no fun.....lol

• Like 3
4 hours ago, spyke said:

1 hour ago, 1brokNangel said:

I just hate going to the Dr

A sleep study is the most un doctor like appointment possible.  Yeah they attach all sorts of monitor wires but other than that its very much like sleeping in a hotel room, execpt you need to call the attendant if you need to hit the head so s/he can unplug you without driving the computer nuts.

My C-PAP is the best thing ever happened to my sleep habits!

• Like 4
6 hours ago, spyke said:

This is a good idea. What position are you sleeping in?

9 hours ago, kbois said:

What strength melatonin do you take? I asked my doctor about it, she said that most people take way too large a dose of it, that they should start with the lowest available dose and work their way up. Like @1brokNangel I was told not to take ibuprofen. I'm not sure what I'd do if I ever slept 5 hours in a row.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

This is a good idea. What position are you sleeping in?

What strength melatonin do you take? I asked my doctor about it, she said that most people take way too large a dose of it, that they should start with the lowest available dose and work their way up. Like @1brokNangel I was told not to take ibuprofen. I'm not sure what I'd do if I ever slept 5 hours in a row.

I sleep on my left side or back can't sleep on my right side bc of nerve damage on that side and most times can't sleep on my back unless I've taken a muscle relaxer

• Like 4
10 hours ago, 1brokNangel said:

I sleep on my left side or back can't sleep on my right side bc of nerve damage on that side and most times can't sleep on my back unless I've taken a muscle relaxer

I try to sleep on my back but for some reason I can't seem to go to sleep that way. Not from pain or anything like that, I think it's where I'm breathing too good. I sleep on either side, doesn't matter. I'll tell you what I fixate on and it's kind of stupid but I can't seem to break the habit.

When I lay on my side I only breathe through the nostril that's facing down. The other one is blocked by gravity closing the airway. There's nothing wrong, I've been tested. The doctor is tired of hearing me talk about it. A lot of times I'll put my hand against the top of my face, that pulls the top back open. Of course I can't go to sleep with my hand tugging on my face either. lol

I keep thinking about getting some kind of tape that won't harm my skin and using that to keep things open but I'm exceedingly lazy so haven't gotten to it yet!

Oh well, last night was a good night. Woke up to pee at 130am, then not until 530am. Somehow missed the middle bathroom call at 330am!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

I keep thinking about getting some kind of tape that won't harm my skin and using that to keep things open

Breathe right strips work well and does not damage my skin. Does leave a little adhesive residue occasionally but it washes off easily. Any of the bigger pharmacies carry em. I keep some in my "just in case" bag in the truck. Helpful when unexpected overnights find me without the c-pap

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..