The Drop in Centre

7 hours ago, Solus Magus said:

Good to be kinda back here. Had to take one for the family and feed a family of 5 since both parents are jobless due to the pandemic. The past weeks were really toxic from juggling jobs to make sure everything is paid for and there is food on the table. The responsibility consequentially fell on me since I'm the only one who's employed.

Finally, there is a shot for stability and financial recovery. The burden really took a toll on me and I'm close to burning myself out. *sigh* At my age, I should be looking for a partner to settle down with, not living out my life as a single dad to my siblings and parents. LOL.

Hi there.

Sorry to hear the travails you're enduring due to the pandemic. Not sure what part of the world you're from, I'm in the US, near Washington, DC. I'm retired so the pandemic hasn't really affected me financially. Actually they've given out $2600 to everyone so I've gotten more money than I would have.

I've about become convinced that all the extra money given out to the unemployed in the US is contributing to the lack of job applicants. Even the fast food places locally are paying $15+/hour and can't find the necessary help. A lot of restaurants haven't reopened because they can't get staffed. In the US people are getting their unemployment but also an extra $300/week. In a lot of cases that's probably more than they were making at their prepandemic jobs.

Hope things do ease for you soon!

• Like 5

hello Sirs and friends,
it's been a wonderful, healing weekend here. lot's of not doing much, some self care, then shopping for things Phil and i have been putting off (i know you know how much i dislike shopping. i made a list of places to check so we didn't have to run all over :)  )
i hope that it's been a good weekend for all of you.
take care!

• Like 5
50 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

hello Sirs and friends,
it's been a wonderful, healing weekend here. lot's of not doing much, some self care, then shopping for things Phil and i have been putting off (i know you know how much i dislike shopping. i made a list of places to check so we didn't have to run all over :)  )
i hope that it's been a good weekend for all of you.
take care!

It's been quiet for me too. Overall the week was good. The scale was finally nice to me after a month or so of up and down with not much progress. Things seem to moving in the right direction. 

My older son called today. It's always good to hear his voice. I miss him. 

My ex-sister-in-law called too and we caught up with each other. She's thinking about coming down around Christmas. I hope she does. 

I'm enjoying a quiet house all to myself and the puppers. They just got walked so they're happy. 

Enjoy the rest of the long weekend for those of you who are off!

• Like 5

I'm pretty sure my big dog is not happy with me. I took his blanket out of the closet to wash it. He retaliated by nudging the shower door open, stealing two washcloths and a sponge. 

When I looked at him I swear, if he could talk he would've been saying, 'So what are gonna do about it? Huh?'

dumb dog 🙄🤪

Hope y'all have a good night!

• Haha 4
  • Site Moderator
4 hours ago, kbois said:

When I looked at him I swear, if he could talk he would've been saying, 'So what are gonna do about it? Huh?'

dumb dog 🙄🤪

Oh I dunno, he sounds kinda crafty to me. :P 

• Haha 4
10 minutes ago, Ryan Jones said:

Hi all.

An interesting weekend. Justin and I were married on Sunday.

I didn't realize I was going to be so emotional about it. We have been together over 10 years so it's not like the first blush of a new love but seeing him come down the aisle towards me brought a tear to my eye. He and his grandmother were responsible for everything in the wedding with a few exceptions. Mostly things I overruled because it was too over the top even for a gay couple like the 100,000 rose petals.

The grandmother (and Justin's mother) both went all out and I understand the reasoning. Justin's older sister eloped so they were cheated out of their big wedding and since Justin was the only remaining grandchild it was all on him to make their dreams come true too.

Something about hearing Ode to Joy play right as the officiant finished up the vows, then taking him in my arms as the music built. I'm not sure how the two of us didn't explode with emotion. First dance at the reception was Anne Murray "Could I Have This Dance". It was funny dancing with Justin's dad, I've known him since he was a baby and I gave him a little kiss on the forehead like I always did when he was a baby and younger kid as we slow danced. To be fair I gave Justin's mom a kiss on the cheek. Oh and with Justin's dad? I led!

We had all these great plans for a 3 week honeymoon but decided to put it off since I'd rather not be out of the country with all the covid stuff going on. We spent one night at the hotel since the reception didn't end until 3am.

Unfortunately my son, his wife and my grandkids couldn't make the wedding since they live in Amsterdam and the travel rules didn't allow them entry. They were able to watch the live stream of it though and my son managed to make a toast at the reception. The technology worked perfectly this time.

142 out of 160 guests that said they were coming were there and 5 of the missing were my family.

To be honest I'm a bit emotional about it still. I always wake up first and this morning watching Justin sleep just filled me up inside.

Hope everyone is doing great!

Congratulations!

It sounds like you had a beautiful day! ❤

• Like 4
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Ryan Jones said:

Hi all.

I didn't realize I was going to be so emotional about it. We have been together over 10 years so it's not like the first blush of a new love but seeing him come down the aisle towards me brought a tear to my eye. He and his grandmother were responsible for everything in the wedding with a few exceptions. Mostly things I overruled because it was too over the top even for a gay couple like the 100,000 rose petals.

The grandmother (and Justin's mother) both went all out and I understand the reasoning. Justin's older sister eloped so they were cheated out of their big wedding and since Justin was the only remaining grandchild it was all on him to make their dreams come true too.

Something about hearing Ode to Joy play right as the officiant finished up the vows, then taking him in my arms as the music built. I'm not sure how the two of us didn't explode with emotion. First dance at the reception was Anne Murray "Could I Have This Dance". It was funny dancing with Justin's dad, I've known him since he was a baby and I gave him a little kiss on the forehead like I always did when he was a baby and younger kid as we slow danced. To be fair I gave Justin's mom a kiss on the cheek. Oh and with Justin's dad? I led!

We had all these great plans for a 3 week honeymoon but decided to put it off since I'd rather not be out of the country with all the covid stuff going on. We spent one night at the hotel since the reception didn't end until 3am.

Unfortunately my son, his wife and my grandkids couldn't make the wedding since they live in Amsterdam and the travel rules didn't allow them entry. They were able to watch the live stream of it though and my son managed to make a toast at the reception. The technology worked perfectly this time.

142 out of 160 guests that said they were coming were there and 5 of the missing were my family.

To be honest I'm a bit emotional about it still. I always wake up first and this morning watching Justin sleep just filled me up inside.

Congratulations! I'm glad you had a wonderful wedding ♥️

• Like 3
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, kbois said:

I'm pretty sure my big dog is not happy with me. I took his blanket out of the closet to wash it. He retaliated by nudging the shower door open, stealing two washcloths and a sponge. 

dumb dog 🙄🤪

Hope y'all have a good night!

You stole his blankie and he paid you back. I'm sort of thinking he's not all that dumb. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Ryan Jones said:

Hi all.

Congratulations Ryan! I'm glad that Justin was able to have the wedding of his dreams and that you were so moved by the ceremony. Best wishes for a long and wonderful marriage. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, spyke said:

You stole his blankie and he paid you back. I'm sort of thinking he's not all that dumb. 🤣

Oh...he is dumb. He dropped one washcloth on the floor where his blankie usually is. Pretty sure he though his 40lb butt would fit on a 6×6 inch scrap of cloth. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, kbois said:

Oh...he is dumb. He dropped one washcloth on the floor where his blankie usually is. Pretty sure he though his 40lb butt would fit on a 6×6 inch scrap of cloth. 🤣

he isn't dumb, just spatially challenged!

• Haha 4
On 9/5/2021 at 8:38 PM, Starrynight22 said:

I'm off tomorrow and Tuesday and I'm getting my hair professionally  colored Tuesday for the first time.  I'm excited. Hoping they can make a silk purse out of this sow ear 

So how did it come out? And what color did you do?

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

Hi all.

Congratulations! But I kinda felt the hurt that your family didn't make it. This covid thing is such a huge disaster for everyone.

Hearing stories like these make me wonder how awful my cry would be on the day of my wedding. Whenever that is LOL.

• Like 5
On 9/7/2021 at 7:25 AM, Ryan Jones said:

Hi all.

Congrats on your wedding day. May you have many happy years together. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/7/2021 at 8:34 PM, kbois said:

So how did it come out? And what color did you do?

Thanks for asking!

It's .......ok.  Its a bit darker than I expected. I had a lot of sun lightened strands that previously looked light auburn....and this color came out very chocolate brown.  It's not that I don't like it, it's just more of a dramatic change than I expected.  My co-workers swear it looks great however. I also had her cut long layers into it so it curls up more.  The cut is great.

I shaved my head I'm 2018 and grew it all out fresh and now it was past my shoulders.  it was long but just heavy and blah. 

Wow.  That was a bunch of hair talk.  Sorry y'all. 

Edited by Starrynight22
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Starrynight22 said:

Thanks for asking!

It's .......ok.  Its a bit darker than I expected. I had a lot of sun lightened strands that previously looked light auburn....and this color came out very chocolate brown.  It's not that I don't like it, it's just more of a dramatic change than I expected.  My co-workers swear it looks great however. I also had her cut long layers into it so it curls up more.  The cut is great.

I shaved my head I'm 2018 and grew it all out fresh and now it was past my shoulders.  it was long but just heavy and blah. 

Wow.  That was a bunch of hair talk.  Sorry y'all. 

My hair mostly ran away. So talking about hair is an alien subject for me! Justin's hair is auburn and even at his advanced age of 26 is very thick and lush. I was going to have him grow it out and cut it to make me a matching toupee but we both decided it wasn't feasible.

I used to love to temp color my hair. There was a shop in DC called Commander Salamanders that had weird clothes, makeup, etc. If you let them do your hair how THEY wanted, it was free and usually that's what I did.

Glad you like the way it turned out. I can remember my first ever perm, when they were done and I looked at myself I looked like Art Garfunkel. So I shaved it all off!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

I used to love to temp color my hair. There was a shop in DC called Commander Salamanders that had weird clothes, makeup, etc. If you let them do your hair how THEY wanted, it was free and usually that's what I did.

I've been coloring my hair since my early 20s. At this point I have to look at old pictures of me to remember what the heck my real color used to be. Pretty sure it's close to 100% gray by now. I like changing up the color scheme. I loved the blue/black I did earlier this year. Right now it's something called 'rich caviar', really dark brown, with maroonish-purple roots. It's OK.  The only color I've never done is blonde. 

I wish I knew about that place in DC when I lived in Maryland. I would've been all over that!

Hope everyone is having a good week!

P.S. New Marvel movie is out.....guess what we're doing for date night? 🤔🤭🙄

Edited by kbois
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, kbois said:

I've been coloring my hair since my early 20s. At this point I have to look at old pictures of me to remember what the heck my real color used to be. Pretty sure it's close to 100% gray by now. I like changing up the color scheme. I loved the blue/black I did earlier this year. Right now it's something called 'rich caviar', really dark brown, with maroonish-purple roots. It's OK.  The only color I've never done is blonde. 

I wish I knew about that place in DC when I lived in Maryland. I would've been all over that!

Hope everyone is having a good week!

P.S. New Marvel movie is out.....guess what we're doing for date night? 🤔🤭🙄

Rich Caviar is what I have now I love the color but I'm losing a little more hair than normal, same thing happened with the blue/black, I liked that one too.

With fall coming my favorite color to use is deepest burgundy, I haven't found any other color that I would want to use during the fall/winter seasons.

Edited by 1brokNangel
  • Like 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..