Wrestling dropped from the Olympics as of 2020

Tell that to the kids who work their tails off every wrestling season, hoping to go to a school where wrestling is big, just so they can have a chance at the olympic trials. Wrestling is huge where i live, bigger even than football, and reading about it being dropped is a shame.

• Like 2

Oh no, what a bummer :(

It used to be on British TV but was dropped because they said it was fixed and the audience was the wrong demographic - grannies goggling at the grunting, groaning, grappling and sweaty male bodies while they did their knitting and stuffed themselves with fruit cake and pikelets  :P

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

I don't understand that at all. Wrestling is one of the original Olympic events.

If anything they should go back to wrestling in the nude like they did in the original games.

I'm sure that would improve the TV ratings.

• Like 4

They took away Fast Pitch Softball as well. I also do not understand why Wrestling is no longer making the cut.  Why does the IOC drop sports? Time constraints? Popularity? Country dominance? I have no idea.  I don't think it should be Modernized. I believe the Olympics should instead maintain these less participated in or televised sports like Wrestling, Rowing, Diving/swimming, Fencing.. etc that really shows off the expertise of these athletes.

I welcome this decicion.There are a lot more sports that need to be dropped (e.g. modern pentathlon). The IOC should rather support some "modern" sports like squash, baseball, hiking or inline-skating.

Hiking is a sport?

Squash isn't modern and baseball isn't either.

By the criterion the IOC is supposed to use, how universal is a sport, wrestling is one of the most universal. Wrestling is on every populated continent and in most countries.

In London, 29 different countries medaled in wrestling out of 72 possible medals. No other sport comes colse for such diversity. Only 10 countries won medals in swimming with 102 medals awarded; only 14 countries won medals in Gymnastics (Artistic) and Gymnastics (Rhytmic) is a complete joke, 6 medals were awarded, 5 to Belarus & Russia and one Italian. 15 years ago it would have been a USSR intersquad match. Syncronized swimming is a complete joke. It was started by one person, Esther Williams and based on her B grade movies of the 1940s and 50s.

Tennis should be dropped from the Olympics. Who needs to see the same overpaid pros we see week in week out. Golf shouldn't be added for the same reason, over paid pros.

How did wrestling get dropped? There are no wrestlers on the IOC executive board. Why didn't a sport that no one participates in (modern pentathlon) survive? Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr (IOC board member, son of former IOC prez JAS Sr) is president of the international modern pentathlon association. Hmmmm. Current IOC prez Jacques Rogge is a former rugby player (an added sport), hmmm, and four executive board members are squash players another four are golfers, hmmmmm some more.

There are no North Americans on the IOC executive board and ten Europeans, including two Germans, despite the fact US television supplies the IOC with over 1/3 of its budget. In fact there is only one person from the entire Western Hemisphere on the IOC executive board.

Hiking is a sport?

Squash isn't modern and baseball isn't either.

By the criterion the IOC is supposed to use, how universal is a sport, wrestling is one of the most universal. Wrestling is on every populated continent and in most countries.

In London, 29 different countries medaled in wrestling out of 72 possible medals. No other sport comes colse for such diversity. Only 10 countries won medals in swimming with 102 medals awarded; only 14 countries won medals in Gymnastics (Artistic) and Gymnastics (Rhytmic) is a complete joke, 6 medals were awarded, 5 to Belarus & Russia and one Italian. 15 years ago it would have been a USSR intersquad match. Syncronized swimming is a complete joke. It was started by one person, Esther Williams and based on her B grade movies of the 1940s and 50s.

Tennis should be dropped from the Olympics. Who needs to see the same overpaid pros we see week in week out. Golf shouldn't be added for the same reason, over paid pros.

How did wrestling get dropped? There are no wrestlers on the IOC executive board. Why didn't a sport that no one participates in (modern pentathlon) survive? Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr (IOC board member, son of former IOC prez JAS Sr) is president of the international modern pentathlon association. Hmmmm. Current IOC prez Jacques Rogge is a former rugby player (an added sport), hmmm, and four executive board members are squash players another four are golfers, hmmmmm some more.

There are no North Americans on the IOC executive board and ten Europeans, including two Germans, despite the fact US television supplies the IOC with over 1/3 of its budget. In fact there is only one person from the entire Western Hemisphere on the IOC executive board.

This is an outrage! :angry:  You're suggesting that the IOC is corrupt, and is governed for the benefit of it's governors?   :angry: How can you possibly, in good conscience, criticize such a venerable organization?! :angry:  How can you possibly suggest malfeasance?!   :angry:

(Someone in the crowd says:  Salt Lake City)   :o

Oh.   :blink:

:P

• Like 3

It's been dropped from the core sports, but it hasn't totally out yet right? It could still be there as an additional sport. I know it doesn't make the fact that it was booted any less outrageous but at least the potential is still there for them to smarten up and include it.

If this is going to be a free-for-all stabbathon let's not forget Sepp Blatter and his poisonous cronies with their corrupt stranglehold on world football [yeah, the proper "football" :D ]. Or, even better, include a new stabbathon event at the 2016 Games with the whole lot of 'em in the arena in a fight to the death. I'd pay good money to see that :rofl:

• Like 1

If this is going to be a free-for-all stabbathon let's not forget Sepp Blatter and his poisonous cronies with their corrupt stranglehold on world football [yeah, the proper "football" :D ]. Or, even better, include a new stabbathon event at the 2016 Games with the whole lot of 'em in the arena in a fight to the death. I'd pay good money to see that :rofl: 

For once I agree with the green one :P

Gladiatorial blood sports and bread for all :)

Well, I hope someone can pin down the reason for this travesty. Certainly, the IOC loses points for this one, although, to be technical, fault may lie elsewhere. I know there's definitely control exercised by sponsors, but a reversal may be in the works... 

TRY THE VEAL! DON'T FORGET TO TIP YOUR WAITRESS!  :lmao:

B) ...................Okay, this explains it, according to a Russian Coach the gays are to blame. Damn we have so much power!!!!

He also claims it's an elaborate plan to take over the world....

Drat! Pinky, we must go back to the lab again :P

• Like 2

What I read, the reason was that wrestling had a big doping problem and wasn't tackling it properly. Doping is IOC's No. 1 problem they want to fight, so I guess it the main reason. There's no problem in return of wrestling later when the doping has been dealt with. (In my opinion, cycling has even worse reputation and yet it's still on...)

From PrivateTim's post (I somehow messed up with the quote, did the whole thing change again?)

Doest that mean that the IOC would be less corrupt if there were Americans in it? :P 

• Like 2

Nah, my guess would be one of Mitt Romney's sons.

hmmm.....Depends on which son? :o

(As the cute Puppy about to post a sexy picture, <Slaps puppy self>, "Bad puppy no politics anymore, remember" :P )

Here's a legitimate question, why would doping help Wrestlers? Is it just steroids or are there other drugs?