Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

Okay was it just me or was the really the first time we've seen those two out-and-out argue like that?

Vere good, Spiker! That is the first time we've seen a disagreement like that between the dads. I'm sure there have been others but this one I had to share. Like Daddydavek said in his review, they're both feeling strongly about something because of their kid: Cesar's worried and Brett's proud. i ENJOYED WRITING THIS CHAPTER A LOT AND PARTICULARLY THAT FINAL SCENE.

• Like 4

Vere good, Spiker! That is the first time we've seen a disagreement like that between the dads. I'm sure there have been others but this one I had to share. Like Daddydavek said in his review, they're both feeling strongly about something because of their kid: Cesar's worried and Brett's proud. i ENJOYED WRITING THIS CHAPTER A LOT AND PARTICULARLY THAT FINAL SCENE.

Well I always expect that there has been, we don't get to see what every moment of their relationship so that I always assumed happened off screen. I'm also on Brett's side on this one. But of course were I actually friends with them in real life I'd never actually say that.

• Like 1

Well I always expect that there has been, we don't get to see what every moment of their relationship so that I always assumed happened off screen. I'm also on Brett's side on this one. But of course were I actually friends with them in real life I'd never actually say that.

I like the way you think. Reader1810 told me recently I often abandon conversations before they're finished allowing the readers to fill in the blanks. A lot happens off-camera. particularly now that the characters, their personalities, and their habits have been established. I don't need to repeat descriptions of CJ's workouts and their timing unless something changes: we know he goes to the gym all the time and often runs so we can assume that's part of his life.

One thing I wanted to show with the disagreement between the dads is that they're a normal couple not some idealized couple from a sappy romance. We already know I don't write romantic stuff, right? :rofl:

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator

CJ's reaction to Janelle's attitude and actions was totally justified IMO and so was Brett for sticking up for him when Cesar wanted to focus on his behaviour rather than the reason for said behaviour. Cesar was blinded by the forest when he should have been looking at the trees. Gee, never thought I'd want to smack Cesar upside the head, but I'm getting there....

I sort of wish CJ et al hadn't walked out, but rather engineered a coup to oust the little dictator. Maybe next chapter, eh? I'm not sure if Mr. Rupple did enough at the meeting when it was obviously going off the rails, but after some research into the advisor role I came across this statement 

"it can also mean as an adult stepping back and letting the students make some mistakes and guiding them to learn from those mistakes. Excerpt from GSA Advisor Handbook

It would seem that he is doing just that. His admonishments to CJ are about keeping things civil. As for Janelle, having her as co-chair is a mistake that the students will have to rectify on their own it would seem. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 5

CJ's reaction to Janelle's attitude and actions was totally justified IMO and so was Brett for sticking up for him when Cesar wanted to focus on his behaviour rather than the reason for said behaviour. Cesar was blinded by the forest when he should have been looking at the trees. Gee, never thought I'd want to smack Cesar upside the head, but I'm getting there....

I sort of wish CJ et al hadn't walked out, but rather engineered a coup to oust the little dictator. Maybe next chapter, eh? I'm not sure if Mr. Rupple did enough at the meeting when it was obviously going off the rails, but after some research into the advisor role I came across this statement 

"it can also mean as an adult stepping back and letting the students make some mistakes and guiding them to learn from those mistakes. Excerpt from GSA Advisor Handbook

It would seem that he is doing just that. His admonishments to CJ are about keeping things civil. As for Janelle, having her as co-chair is a mistake that the students will have to rectify on their own it would seem. 

1810 and I had this conversation about the role of an advisor when she first read the chapter. I didn't share all my thinking with her at the time but the idea of an advisor stepping back and allowing the students to figure things out by themselves is on point.

I was involved in different organizations/student government while in high school and then again in college and some of the lessons I learned are still helping me out. Some are useless, like being able to recite the entire Greek alphabet while holding a lit match and some have served me well, like knowing how to run a meeting following Robert's Rules of Order. Had things deteriorated, Mr. Rupple may have taken a more active role.

CJ told Thiago he didn't want to make a big deal out of Burke's actions but you never know. If the guy pushes a bit more our kid may react.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator

CJ told Thiago he didn't want to make a big deal out of Burke's actions but you never know. If the guy pushes a bit more our kid may react.

Spikey has made an interesting observation regarding Burke's attitude. Will he do this with other students? I would say yes, the question is how many and will there be enough incidences that Mrs. Edwards will hear about it and have to deal with it in some way? 

• Like 3

Spikey has made an interesting observation regarding Burke's attitude. Will he do this with other students? I would say yes, the question is how many and will there be enough incidences that Mrs. Edwards will hear about it and have to deal with it in some way?

Of course I made an interesting point! :lmao:

No but seriously, I really appreciate your insights about what the GSA advisor handbook said. Cause I'm sure you noticed I was pretty critical of Rupple's actions at the meeting. I'm still a little cockeyed about his refereeing CJ's language while idly letting Janelle essentially eject people from the group.

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator

Of course I made an interesting point! :lmao:

No but seriously, I really appreciate your insights about what the GSA advisor handbook said. Cause I'm sure you noticed I was pretty critical of Rupple's actions at the meeting. I'm still a little cockeyed about his refereeing CJ's language while idly letting Janelle essentially eject people from the group.

Beg your pardon, I forgot to add this to my original post. This is for you Spikey....

:worship:  :worship:

As for my referencing the GSA Handbook, what I posted was my beta comments (oops, forgot to mention that...so easily distracted am I) to Carlos. I had thought that Mr. Rupple was quite remiss in not taking Janelle to task for her actions, so I thought it best to investigate the scope of his role to shed some light on his behaviour. As for Janelle, I had some pretty incendiary remarks regarding her behaviour and what should be done about it...impeachment being one scenario :P

• Like 3

Beg your pardon, I forgot to add this to my original post. This is for you Spikey....

:worship:  :worship:

As for my referencing the GSA Handbook, what I posted was my beta comments (oops, forgot to mention that...so easily distracted am I) to Carlos. I had thought that Mr. Rupple was quite remiss in not taking Janelle to task for her actions, so I thought it best to investigate the scope of his role to shed some light on his behaviour. As for Janelle, I had some pretty incendiary remarks regarding her behaviour and what should be done about it...impeachment being one scenario :P

:rofl:

Well Mr. Rupple looks not as bad in that light.

Also, I'm glad Carlos remembered my review from way back in Spring when good ol' Janelle was introduced. I had completely forgotten! But rereading my review brought it all back. Yeah that girl BUGGED me. It's only ten times worse now!

• Like 3

Well Mr. Rupple looks not as bad in that light.

Also, I'm glad Carlos remembered my review from way back in Spring when good ol' Janelle was introduced. I had completely forgotten! But rereading my review brought it all back. Yeah that girl BUGGED me. It's only ten times worse now!

I brought up your comments when discussing Janelle during the beta period. I couldn't remember who'd made it and 1810 found it for me so fast I had whiplash. At the time you made it I was impressed because I tried to be gentle about her and only had her be demanding about CJ running with her. If he had she would have been sooooooooooooo screwed. Not that she isn't now since most of the members walked out.

• Like 4

I fear that this will become a defining moment for CJ and probably more for Cesar - in the Cesar/Brett bitchfight there was no mention of "Sarge" and his remarks, I would have thought that CJ deserved some brownie points for that. I would have thought it would send Cesar straight to the Principal's office demanding his resignation. He is proud of his heritage and stomping all over it would not go down well.

• Like 3

I was involved in different organizations/student government while in high school and then again in college and some of the lessons I learned are still helping me out. Some are useless, like being able to recite the entire Greek alphabet while holding a lit match and some have served me well, like knowing how to run a meeting following Robert's Rules of Order. Had things deteriorated, Mr. Rupple may have taken a more active role.

This is part of that "big E" education that Schools keep talking about. Mr R is there to advise, to guide but not to run things. Should he tell CJ to watch his language, sure, should he control the meeting, no way. This was a life lesson for CJ, Janelle and all the others. Democracy rules  :D

Sometimes people vote for someone and then understand they didn't quite get what they bargained for - Janelle has attempted to disregard all of the conventions and the thoughts and wishes of those around her, she is doing this for all the wrong reasons. It is a shame for the GSA but Carlos will let us know how it all goes.

Nice boat btw :)

• Like 4

And what a chapter! The old man got a bit of a shock, so did the rest of the family. 

And the two old men, Brett and Cesar had a moment, it was so sweet  :kiss:

Damn kids keep piling on old man Kennedy. First it was CJ and now his own grandson. He might rule the family with an iron fist but it seems not everyone agrees with him since news of his public shaming reached Hilary's ears fast enough. Poor woman thinks CJ's a good influence on her kids? HA!

Did you actually use the word 'sweet' to describe something in my writing? You're going to ruin my reputation, Buck! Next thing you know people are going to clamor for mushy words of love, kissing, weddings, and a HEA ending! Can't have that now can we?

• Like 3

Ok so two chapters in and we still have confrontation galore. Bradley and CJ confronting ol' Francis in public? I'm scandalized! :D

:lol:

There may be one or two more on the way. I think I was in a feisty mood when I was wrting ths last year.

• Like 3

I'm all for it. These chapters have been exciting. I mean day-in-day out can't always be conflict all the time. But, some of this was obviously a long time in coming. Francis needed to be put in his place as did his wife, and they need to stay out of their son's family and stop interfering.

• Like 4

I'm all for it. These chapters have been exciting. I mean day-in-day out can't always be conflict all the time. But, some of this was obviously a long time in coming. Francis needed to be put in his place as did his wife, and they need to stay out of their son's family and stop interfering.

I'm trying to accomplish two things in Walls. Wrap up open plot threads, show the 'kids' growing up, and make sure it still sounds realistic. Okay that's three but the last one is very important to me. Trying to avoid CJ being kidnapped or stuff like that showin conflict we could all face in real life and still keeping the story grounded in the mundane. The conversations during the drive give us a taste of what these kids talk about and show us they lead mundane lives. Well, maybe not so mundane for CJ, I really have no personal experience with a kid who'll likely be a millionaire by the time he's 18 but...

When I wrote Autumn back in 2013 I knew there would be one more confrontation with Francis Kennedy but I thought it would be CJ doing the trashing again. As Brad was introduced and developed I thought it would be better coming from him. After a year living with Tom and JP he's realized what he missed not having his father around. He's pissed, fed up with his grandfather, and he's not going to take it anymore.

• Like 4

My son has a friend we call Red. He in turn has a three year old with a massive mop of fire on his head and I call him Baby Red. The temper on that kid is unreal. I think he's going to grow up to be Bradley including chopping off body parts and feeding them to people.

That confrontation was a long time coming. He needs more people to stand up to him.

As long as the old fart stays alive a little longer or dies of natural causes soon, Bradley and CJ are good to go.

• Like 5

My son has a friend we call Red. He in turn has a three year old with a massive mop of fire on his head and I call him Baby Red. The temper on that kid is unreal. I think he's going to grow up to be Bradley including chopping off body parts and feeding them to people.

That confrontation was a long time coming. He needs more people to stand up to him.

As long as the old fart stays alive a little longer or dies of natural causes soon, Bradley and CJ are good to go.

I'm uncertain where the heck Red came from. It was Bradley or Brad from the moment I created him and never thought to give him a nickname. Then, out of nowhere, CJ calls him Red and it seemed to fit!

Someone called me a mass murdered when I mentioned all the characters I planned on killing off before the story was over. I didn't include Francis Kennedy on the list but now you've given me food for thought. But natural causes seems a tad too gentle for him.

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator

I'm uncertain where the heck Red came from. It was Bradley or Brad from the moment I created him and never thought to give him a nickname. Then, out of nowhere, CJ calls him Red and it seemed to fit!

Someone called me a mass murdered when I mentioned all the characters I planned on killing off before the story was over. I didn't include Francis Kennedy on the list but now you've given me food for thought. But natural causes seems a tad too gentle for him.

His death could be from natural causes like say a tornado, a mudslide, or earthquake. Or maybe someone said he couldn't do it, so he climbed the Bunker Hill Monument to show that he could and ended up having a heart attack halfway up followed by a tumble all the way down. Course, the monument stairs are usually filled with tourists, so this might not be a good idea... :unsure:

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 3