The Drop in Centre

15 hours ago, Story Reader said:

I went to the dr today about my knee and he said it was bulging out the side of my knee and he had x rays done and I have to go back for blood work tomorrow. he also put me on high blood pressure medication. I have to go back in 2 weeks for the results

good luck on you tests. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ryan Jones said:

He gave me lisinopril and 2 days later I was at 100/60.

You can tell one difference with pressure like that, you're going to be a lot colder than you used to be. I was wondering why I was always so hot when I had the high BP. Oh and if you have any issue with swelling, anywhere, don't let them give you amlidopine.

You're lucky you can tolerate lisinopril. A lot of folks (me included) develop a dry hacking cough on the medicine after being on it for awhile. You're spot on about amlodipine. At the end of the day, my feet looked like Fred Flinstone's feet and it really hurt. They switched me to Diltiazem and no problems since. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, spyke said:

You're lucky you can tolerate lisinopril. A lot of folks (me included) develop a dry hacking cough on the medicine after being on it for awhile. You're spot on about amlodipine. At the end of the day, my feet looked like Fred Flinstone's feet and it really hurt. They switched me to Diltiazem and no problems since. 

Unfortunately it took me researching the med they put me on and several months of arguments to get the doc to change my BP meds. I also had severe swelling in my feet that they decided to test me for everything under the sun to determine cause. I finally threw the paperwork on the drug in the doctor's face and told her flat out I was not taking that pill again. She prescribed a replacement, basically same drug different name, with no improvement. I stopped completely and within a week there were ankles! Next doc said was only borderline high, no meds unless it goes up and to manage stress and lower sodium.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

You might want to invest in a blood pressure machine for your house. Get one with a cuff on it, they give more accurate readings. Not very expensive. You should check the pressure regularly to make sure the medicine they gave you is working right, not too strong, not too weak.

I had no idea my blood pressure was high. I was being evaluated for a study for a medication to treat enlarged prostate, when I went in and they took my BP it was 190/100. Immediately went to doctor, told him no new expensive pill (not that it matters about cost because I have great insurance), give me a nice old pill. He gave me lisinopril and 2 days later I was at 100/60.

You can tell one difference with pressure like that, you're going to be a lot colder than you used to be. I was wondering why I was always so hot when I had the high BP. Oh and if you have any issue with swelling, anywhere, don't let them give you amlidopine.

My blood pressure was 150/82 and they put me on losartan 50mg

• Like 3
6 hours ago, spyke said:

Yeah, I had no issues at all with it. My sister couldn't take it, I've known others who had issues.

5 hours ago, Kitt said:

Unfortunately it took me researching the med they put me on and several months of arguments to get the doc to change my BP meds. I also had severe swelling in my feet that they decided to test me for everything under the sun to determine cause. I finally threw the paperwork on the drug in the doctor's face and told her flat out I was not taking that pill again. She prescribed a replacement, basically same drug different name, with no improvement. I stopped completely and within a week there were ankles! Next doc said was only borderline high, no meds unless it goes up and to manage stress and lower sodium.

You should never assume the doctor knows best. Do your own research first if it's not an emergency and go in with all your facts. Don't let them just prescribe anything for you.

2 hours ago, Story Reader said:

My blood pressure was 150/82 and they put me on losartan 50mg

The new doctor changed mine to Chlorthalidone 25mg and I stay around 105/60 which is what I'm now used to after having this pressure for the last 10+ years.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

The new doctor changed mine to Chlorthalidone 25mg and I stay around 105/60 which is what I'm now used to after having this pressure for the last 10+ years.

I have been dealing with high blood pressure for probably 15 years and the doctors I have been to never have actually put me on medication so this is the first. My whole family has a history of high blood pressure. My mom had it, my older brother had it and my sister and little brother has it. My mom died of congested heart failure and my big brother died from his 11th heart attack about 5 years after he had a triple bypass. 

• Like 3
On 10/22/2021 at 8:43 AM, Ryan Jones said:

You might want to invest in a blood pressure machine for your house. Get one with a cuff on it, they give more accurate readings. Not very expensive. You should check the pressure regularly to make sure the medicine they gave you is working right, not too strong, not too weak.

I had no idea my blood pressure was high. I was being evaluated for a study for a medication to treat enlarged prostate, when I went in and they took my BP it was 190/100. Immediately went to doctor, told him no new expensive pill (not that it matters about cost because I have great insurance), give me a nice old pill. He gave me lisinopril and 2 days later I was at 100/60.

Almodopine sent me to the ER -- it caused my blood pressure to rapidly spike. Sister-in-law was on it and she said it lowered her top # but caused her bottom # to go up.  Lisinopril works for me, mostly, as does metoprolol. Irbesartan worked but caused my resting heart rate to increase 150%  :(  Found out I'm very sensitive to bp Rx and am ridiculously low levels -- but they're working.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Fae Briona said:

Almodopine sent me to the ER -- it caused my blood pressure to rapidly spike. Sister-in-law was on it and she said it lowered her top # but caused her bottom # to go up.  Lisinopril works for me, mostly, as does metoprolol. Irbesartan worked but caused my resting heart rate to increase 150%  :(  Found out I'm very sensitive to bp Rx and am ridiculously low levels -- but they're working.

So far I haven't found anyone who has a good thing to say about amlidopine. Makes me wonder if the doctors are being paid off to prescribe it. My sister takes metoprolol 100mg/day and it's working almost too good. Might have to go back to 50mg and see what happens.

The only medication that increases my heart rate is Adderall. Of course it's amphetemines so it's supposed to do that. Otherwise I stay at ~60. In resting mode of course.

I do have one thing I'm trying to decide if I need to see a doctor about but I'm not sure how to phrase it so it doesn't sound like bragging and not an ailment.

• Like 4

I found out something interesting recently. If you watch your local news telecast via their website rather than on television you don't get ANY ads. During the commercial breaks the feed just goes silent.

This can be very handy in the US during political campaign seasons. I live in the DC suburbs, in MD. VA though is having one of those "spend millions for months" governor campaigns. Now the other races are jumping in with their ads. So I just sit my laptop on the dining room table and skip all the ads.

It makes my digestion easier!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Ryan Jones said:

I found out something interesting recently. If you watch your local news telecast via their website rather than on television you don't get ANY ads. During the commercial breaks the feed just goes silent.

This can be very handy in the US during political campaign seasons. I live in the DC suburbs, in MD. VA though is having one of those "spend millions for months" governor campaigns. Now the other races are jumping in with their ads. So I just sit my laptop on the dining room table and skip all the ads.

It makes my digestion easier!

I do that to keep up with the DC news on occasion, particularly if there's something brewing that my small town local news isn't covering enough. Now if we can just figure out a way to silence the telephones during campaign seasons...

• Like 3

How in the hell does a brand new air conditioning unit stop working!! And why does it have to be in the middle of the highest humidity we've had all month??

Not the best way to start off the week.  🙄🥵🤬🤨 I give up.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..