The Drop in Centre

6 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Yeah, i know from talking to people how different it is.  i can't be made to work more than my shift or on Holidays. They can ask me to and if i agree they have to pay me 1.5x my hourly rate.  On Stat holidays it's 2.5x and on say Christmas Day or New Years Day it's 3x.  I don't know if that is the same for all workers in Canada (i doubt it is)  but the Banks are under the Federal Government so there are a lot of regulations we have to meet.

I miss the benefits of my last two jobs in travel. I don't miss the travel business itself, but the perks were good. 

My current benefits suck big time. No medical, dental or vision. Maximum 2 weeks vacation, no matter how long you're with the company. Bare minimum for holidays off. Pay is okay, but I have to work 50-54 hours a week to bring home a decent check and get bills paid and have a little left over. 

No real retirement program. A 401k that they only match 3%, up to a certain maximum.

I'm a hamster in a wheel most days. But I like the job itself, so I figure I'll get a couple more years experience in property management and then can move on if necessary. 

Hope y'all enjoy your Friday!

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, kbois said:

Luckily, my husband has great medical insurance through his work. 

Still, in the US, most people, even with insurance are just one major medical event away from bankruptcy.  $300 for diabetes medication won't cover 1 month on many plans. Prescriptions are extremely overpriced compared to most every other nation. It's ridiculous when insurance and pharmaceutical companies run the medical business. 

That's the best thing in the UK our NHS, free medical treatment for everyone.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

That's the best thing in the UK our NHS, free medical treatment for everyone.

As long as our current government don't continue with their privatisation by the back door!

• Wow 2
3 hours ago, kbois said:

I miss the benefits of my last two jobs in travel. I don't miss the travel business itself, but the perks were good. 

My current benefits suck big time. No medical, dental or vision. Maximum 2 weeks vacation, no matter how long you're with the company. Bare minimum for holidays off. Pay is okay, but I have to work 50-54 hours a week to bring home a decent check and get bills paid and have a little left over. 

No real retirement program. A 401k that they only match 3%, up to a certain maximum.

I'm a hamster in a wheel most days. But I like the job itself, so I figure I'll get a couple more years experience in property management and then can move on if necessary. 

Hope y'all enjoy your Friday!

I've only been with my current employer just under 3 years - I now get 28 days paid leave PLUS all of the statutory public holidays (varies between 8-10 days depending on which UK nation you live in), plus this year we all get an extra day for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee (celebrating 70 years since she ascended to the throne in 1952 on the death of her father George VI).

See what you're all missing out on because you decided to be all independent!! 😁 That and free (mostly) health care at the point of use.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, kbois said:

Luckily, my husband has great medical insurance through his work. 

Still, in the US, most people, even with insurance are just one major medical event away from bankruptcy.  $300 for diabetes medication won't cover 1 month on many plans. Prescriptions are extremely overpriced compared to most every other nation. It's ridiculous when insurance and pharmaceutical companies run the medical business. 

I'm self employed, so it has it's perks and pitfalls, but I wouldn't go back to working for someone else!  I have to pay for my own health insurance. I fell into an insurance black hole a few years back when I needed an expensive treatment. The prescription co-pay for me was $56,000 and that was after the pharmaceutical company coupon that would kick in up to $21,000. My doctor was just dumbfounded by it. This wasn't an experimental treatment, it was just a really expensive drug.  I accidentally found a loophole through Obamacare, waited a few months, switched over and was approved for treatment within 2 months. The pharmaceutical coupon counted as my deductible and full year out of pocket expenses too. I paid a $5.00 co-pay for each of the 3 prescriptions needed to complete the treatment. That's $15 versus $56,000.  Oh and by the way, it was with the same insurance company that originally wanted me to pay the $56,000.  Health insurance in the US simply sucks.  

Edited by spyke
Added more information for clarity.
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 4
On 1/7/2022 at 3:01 PM, spyke said:

I hope you all  had a good week and we are ready to roll into the weekend like champs!  I think I'll start everyone off with a little round of Jeopardy!

Me:  I'll take 'Ring My Bell' for $1200 please.

Ken Jennings:  82 notifications on Gay Authors in a 8 hour time frame

Me: What is how you know that @Carlos Hazday, @kbois, @Laura S. Fox, and @northie have all posted on the same day.

Ken Jennings: That is correct

So if @Wayne Gray had posted a new story, would the bell counter have broken? Or does it go past 99? 

Enquiring minds want to know. 

Sounds like a good day of posting!!! 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Mrsgnomie said:

Whole fam got boostered today and the youngest got his 1st.

Arm feels like I did a round with Mike Tyson and it’s only been 6 hours. Oof.

Like I told you before:

No Excuses Scolding GIF by Kinda Funny

Get back to writing! 🤣😍

• Haha 4
On 1/7/2022 at 6:01 PM, spyke said:

I hope you all  had a good week and we are ready to roll into the weekend like champs!  I think I'll start everyone off with a little round of Jeopardy!

Me:  I'll take 'Ring My Bell' for $1200 please.

Ken Jennings:  82 notifications on Gay Authors in a 8 hour time frame

Me: What is how you know that @Carlos Hazday, @kbois, @Laura S. Fox, and @northie have all posted on the same day.

Ken Jennings: That is correct

So if @Wayne Gray had posted a new story, would the bell counter have broken? Or does it go past 99? 

Enquiring minds want to know. 

There are definitely a lot of good authors who cause the notifications to explode! It does go beyond 99. Biggest jump I've seen was leaving work, going to gym, home to dog walk and finding 124 notifications. 😲

I'm with you. @Wayne Gray needs to be all better and get back to clacking on the keyboard!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, kbois said:

There are definitely a lot of good authors who cause the notifications to explode! It does go beyond 99. Biggest jump I've seen was leaving work, going to gym, home to dog walk and finding 124 notifications. 😲

I'm with you. @Wayne Gray needs to be all better and get back to clacking on the keyboard!

I wasn't prodding @Wayne Gray to write, merely speculating on what may have happened if he had written and posted. I know he's been sick, so I'm not about to pester him. My only wish is for him to have a speedy and complete recovery.

Now @Mrsgnomie is another story. That sister has been laying low for way too long and needs to get clacking on the keyboard.  We are long overdue for a new novel!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, spyke said:

I wasn't prodding @Wayne Gray to write, merely speculating on what may have happened if he had written and posted. I know he's been sick, so I'm not about to pester him. My only wish is for him to have a speedy and complete recovery.

Now @Mrsgnomie is another story. That sister has been laying low for way too long and needs to get clacking on the keyboard.  We are long overdue for a new novel!  🤣

She has been clacking. I've been prodding her along. Not much longer! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, spyke said:

I’m not good at doing short stories. Go big or go home, you know? But I’m close! Already 19 chapters down. The first chapter will be posted before you know it. 

Edited by Mrsgnomie
  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1

Felt like poo all weekend.  Cough, congestion, and temp is starting to go up.  not the best thing right before scheduled surgery next Monday.  SP is going to see if his job has one of the at-home COVID test kits; otherwise, it will be to the Minor Emergency Clinic for a test. Pretty sure this is just cedar-fever but as all the symptoms are the same...

Fully vaxed + booster.

• Fingers Crossed 4
23 minutes ago, Fae Briona said:

Felt like poo all weekend.  Cough, congestion, and temp is starting to go up.  not the best thing right before scheduled surgery next Monday.  SP is going to see if his job has one of the at-home COVID test kits; otherwise, it will be to the Minor Emergency Clinic for a test. Pretty sure this is just cedar-fever but as all the symptoms are the same...

Fully vaxed + booster.

Hope you feel well soon.

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, Fae Briona said:

Fully vaxed + booster.

Feel better Fae!

My son has been sick. He went for a test today, but it will take 24-48 hrs for results. So he's holed up in his room. In otherwords, his usual sequestered hideout. He's vaxxed x2, but not boosted yet (even though I've reminded him😒🙄)

• Like 4
On 1/7/2022 at 9:57 AM, Mikiesboy said:

You're right, Kitt. i think people appreciate what they've done and are trying to do.  We are expected to work during our usual shift, like we do at work.  It goes without saying they know what we're doing, but they always know. That doesnt bother me because, i work the same at home as i did at work. i suppose there are some who get away with stuff, but i'm my own hard taskmaster and i don't get away with much. lol

They don't want us to work longer that our 7.5 hours per day unless we sign up for overtime.  The Bank isn't perfect, but where is? They are trying and for me, that's all i can ask.

tim i agree with you in this. working from home has its advantages and my company has seen no changes in productivity so as long as they are happy.  they got us all new Laptop’s which are nice. the last few days have been nice not getting out in the snow and ice.  

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Fae Briona said:

Fully vaxed + booster.

Fae take care of yourself. i lucked into 2 at home test kits. was at my local drug store and they were unpacking them and i was in the right place at the right time. so good luck on your surgery.

• Like 3

@Mikiesboy glad to hear that the bank management had continued in their support of y'all

@MichaelS36 hello Sir. Phil gets a chuckle out of me talking back to my computer as well

@Fae Brionai didn't know cedar fever happened where you are. mine's bad this year as well. 

@kbois sorry to hear you got locked out. that's pretty scary to me

hope everyone is doing well, staying safe

• Love 4
12 hours ago, kbois said:

Took Camden for a walk. Zeke didn't want to go. 

My son, who is supposedly sick (apparently now feeling fine), went out and locked me out of the house. Of course the extra key wasn't in the lock box. And it started raining. My phone was in the house because my pants didn't have pockets. I don't fit thru the dog door.

Three words: Electronic Door Locks

Or train Zeke to open the door or fetch a key. LOL

Seriously though, I have one on the door that leads to the interior of my house from the garage and it has saved my bacon many times. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, spyke said:

Three words: Electronic Door Locks

Or train Zeke to open the door or fetch a key. LOL

Seriously though, I have one on the door that leads to the interior of my house from the garage and it has saved my bacon many times. 

We rent, so no changes allowed. The lock box has been handy in the past. When there's a key in it at least. 

Zeke is still dumb, that will never change! 😅

My kid is just clueless. His brain is on a circuit all its own. I wasn't really mad, just annoyed. 

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..