The Drop in Centre

5 hours ago, kbois said:

I hope you get to see your first snowfall next year. 

There's something special about the first snowfall of the season, or seeing it for the first time. The way it sounds as it crunches under your feet. The hush that surrounds you when you go outside at night, flakes drifting down. The way the cold air nips at your face. That's what I like to remember.

I can do without the back-breaking shoveling, scraping snow and ice off the car, blow drying the dog because there's ice balls stuck to its fur, missing gloves, boots that are still wet inside and discovering after two hours outside shoveling that there's no hot chocolate!😆

These days I prefer scraping sand from my flip flops!

Thank you for making me so excited. But some of my friends who migrated in place where there is snow said that it gets old quite fast because it's literally frozen rain and you get wet due to snow. I just hope I can pass my DELF so I can apply for my MA degree in Paris.

I wonder if some of the ppl here are around EU. Maybe I can meet up or something. LOL.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Good to see you, Solus. Good to hear you had family time, because, you know. 

Summer, eh? 
I was shovelling out from under snowmageddon this afternoon. My driveway then clearing what the plows dumped (three feet deep and about as wide down to the road). Then I  helped two of my neighbours dig out the bottom of their driveways.

Im ready for summer to start tomorrow…

We got lucky in the DC area, the last storm just gave us a few inches of snow then it rained a lot on top of it. The next morning was still above freezing so that inch of slush was very easy to get off the sidewalks and cars. After that the winds kicked up to 30-40mph and dried everything off so no problems this morning with ice.

They are already talking about the NEXT storm, coming Friday/Saturday which as of now appears to be farther east so the DC area will get all snow. They barely mention that Thursday we could get a couple of inches, that's apparently not worth a mention now although since it's happening during rush hour I can only imagine the traffic nightmare.

Have to admit I hate the plow buildups also. I live on a street with houses only on one side but no amount of suggestion/discussion will get them to plow it towards the field. It's always towards the cars.

• Wow 2
2 hours ago, Fae Briona said:

Surgery went ok.  Yesterday was a long day but part of that was the weather shift happening.

Looks a lot worse that it feels

Glad to hear you're on the mend, Fae.  Sending you good thoughts and lots of positive energy for your continued recovery.

• Like 4

Happy Friday! 

For those of you who have the weekend off.... enjoy! For those of you that have to work..... you can do it!

It's that time of year that I have to work every Saturday. I like the paycheck, but it's draining. 

As much as I hate paying bills, it's always nice when that credit card balance goes back down to $0. I don't like to carry a balance, but between Christmas and car repairs the plastic took a hit. Most of the damage has been repaired and it feels good to have that out of the way. 

Have a good day!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, kbois said:

Happy Friday! 

For those of you who have the weekend off.... enjoy! For those of you that have to work..... you can do it!

It's that time of year that I have to work every Saturday. I like the paycheck, but it's draining. 

As much as I hate paying bills, it's always nice when that credit card balance goes back down to $0. I don't like to carry a balance, but between Christmas and car repairs the plastic took a hit. Most of the damage has been repaired and it feels good to have that out of the way. 

Have a good day!

Same to you!

I have to admit to the same joy when all the CCs are at $0 balance. This year I paid the 2nd half of my property taxes $2900 on the credit card that gives me 2% back on everything. I had to pay $20 service fee on the site that took the payment but I got $58 in cashback and then paid it off when the bill came. I always check on every bill to see if I can make money by using the CC.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, kbois said:

Happy Friday! 

Have a good day!

Happy Friyay to you, too!

And yes, I hate paying bills but it feels so fulfilling as well if everything is paid for no debt is left. Carrying a balance sucks sometimes and it bothers my peace of mind. And paying for something I benefit from makes the money purposeful.

• Like 3

I think we need to start a pool. 

It's 48F degrees outside (9C). Inside my house is 69F. (20C). 

I won't put the heat on until the inside of the house is 65F (18C).

Forecast high today is 58F (14C)

Anyone want to guess what time that will be? 

(On a side note, I may not need the heat, hot flashes just might be enough!)

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, kbois said:

I think we need to start a pool. 

It's 48F degrees outside (9C). Inside my house is 69F. (20C). 

I won't put the heat on until the inside of the house is 65F (18C).

Forecast high today is 58F (14C)

Anyone want to guess what time that will be? 

(On a side note, I may not need the heat, hot flashes just might be enough!)

Have a good day everyone!

I have my heat set at 65 here also. It all depends on what your house is made of. I have a brick house, it takes forever to both heat up in late spring or cool down in the winter. So an outside temp of 58F probably wouldn't get the heat on. Especially if it was a sunny day.

• Like 2

We don’t have the luxury of auto air. Wood burning only (farm house quirk). So the fire goes only when hubs decides it’s too cold. Usually, only on days we’re home and it’s chilly, 45° outside.

Like today. 

Edited by Mrsgnomie
  • Like 3
37 minutes ago, Ryan Jones said:

I have my heat set at 65 here also. It all depends on what your house is made of. I have a brick house, it takes forever to both heat up in late spring or cool down in the winter. So an outside temp of 58F probably wouldn't get the heat on. Especially if it was a sunny day.

No sun today. 

Just walked the dogs, it's overcast, not really raining, but misty. Enough that the dogs needed a quick rub down with a towel. 

As my mom used to say... it's raw. Of course I wore flip flops and now my toes are set on 'thaw'. No warm shower until after I  get back from the gym. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Mrsgnomie said:

Why, as an adult, can I not keep my room clean? What's the point of growing up? 

That's why they have housekeepers. I often wonder what ours thinks about the personal habits of Justin and I. I'm sure if she muttered something under her breath it would be in Spanish so I'd just assume it was praise and compliments!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
3 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

That's why they have housekeepers. I often wonder what ours thinks about the personal habits of Justin and I. I'm sure if she muttered something under her breath it would be in Spanish so I'd just assume it was praise and compliments!

We have a cleaner that comes once a week to help keep our head above water but she doesn't do the bedrooms lol 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Mrsgnomie said:

We have a cleaner that comes once a week to help keep our head above water but she doesn't do the bedrooms lol 

Ours does it all, even washing the clothes. I can remember the first housekeeper I ever had as an adult (we always had them when I was growing up) I felt weird having her wash my underwear. Now it doesn't matter.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Ryan Jones said:

Ours does it all, even washing the clothes. I can remember the first housekeeper I ever had as an adult (we always had them when I was growing up) I felt weird having her wash my underwear. Now it doesn't matter.

No Housekeeper for us.

Me and Hubby do everything between us. So with our 12 cats, it's not always perfect.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

No Housekeeper for us.

Me and Hubby do everything between us. So with our 12 cats, it's not always perfect.

12 cats????

I have 2 cats, I couldn't imagine 12 of them. When would you have time to do anything but cater to them?

These are my last cats, or pets of any kind. I'm 70 and I want to be able to just go with Justin anywhere and anytime we want to go. With the cats we'd either have to board them or use the pet services that come by twice a day to feed them and clean the litter boxes. Our two cats are 18 and 17, the 18 year old one had cancer in a paw that led to amputation of the front leg to the shoulder almost 7 years ago. She's getting pretty feeble. Typical grey/white one. The other is an overlarge orange cat.

Both are rescues. I've had the grey/white one since kitten stage from a pet adoption at Pet Smart. The other one started to show up at my house and I fed him awhile. Then captured him and had him checked out. It's so weird, they act like a married couple.

I told Justin they must have paid a lot of attention to us over the past 10 years.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Ryan Jones said:

12 cats????

I have 2 cats, I couldn't imagine 12 of them. When would you have time to do anything but cater to them?

These are my last cats, or pets of any kind. I'm 70 and I want to be able to just go with Justin anywhere and anytime we want to go. With the cats we'd either have to board them or use the pet services that come by twice a day to feed them and clean the litter boxes. Our two cats are 18 and 17, the 18 year old one had cancer in a paw that led to amputation of the front leg to the shoulder almost 7 years ago. She's getting pretty feeble. Typical grey/white one. The other is an overlarge orange cat.

Both are rescues. I've had the grey/white one since kitten stage from a pet adoption at Pet Smart. The other one started to show up at my house and I fed him awhile. Then captured him and had him checked out. It's so weird, they act like a married couple.

I told Justin they must have paid a lot of attention to us over the past 10 years.

Our youngest is 18 months and the eldest is 8.

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

@Ryan Jones I expanded a couple chapters in my current novel a bit to take into account fires in Colorado and snow in D.C.. Damn my traveling characters.

Hey everyone. I know Kitt's a frequent visitor here and I'm wondering if any of you has heard from her outside GA. She hasn't been here in the last 10 days, which is surprising, and I haven't received a reply to the email I sent her.

Not that I'm panicking, but with the number of members who have dropped off during the pandemic...

Hope y'all have a good week.

Are the iguanas falling out of trees down your way yet?

When the first item of clothing that goes on after my shower is socks, it has to be cold. Lol....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..