The Drop in Centre

9 minutes ago, kbois said:

Ok, not to toot my own horn, but I'm going to toot it. 

My trainer made me bench press to failure tonight. He wanted to test how much weight I could do. (I've been doing just the bar, which is 30lbs/13.6 kg)

I hit 85lbs/38.5kg. 

He has one other female client who can bench that much. 

She's 17. 

He was impressed, hell I was impressed!

It was a good boost because this past week was challenging, health wise, trying to stay on track. 

Moving forward.... 💪

Great job!

Resistance training (bodyweight or otherwise) has been shown to be the biggest preventative measure to brittle bones as we age, so keep at it.

You will feel the effects of your effort tomorrow and the day after. Your trainer will know this, and he'll modify things so you are either forced to work and burn through the lactic acid build up and flush it out, or he'll have mercy on you and allow a tiny bit of recovery. If I were him, I'd ... Well. I'll just let the immortal words of Robert Frost take it from here.

... From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire...
Edited by Wayne Gray
  • Haha 4
12 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

My 88 year old aunt pays about 40% of her SS income on diabetes and one heart medications. The same drugs would be about 90% cheaper in the Netherlands (not sure of other countries, my family (son, grandkids, great grandkids) all live in Amsterdam and my son's mother uses insulin,etc. 

By the time you count the Medicare payment and supplemental insurance my aunt's SS check is 75% gone.

It's all ridiculous. If they can't pass the entire Biden program they should just break off the prescription drug part of the bill and pass that. Here in the DC area we see the competing ads all the time during the news. AARP is pro bill and of course the phama companies are all doing counter ads about "Woe is us, we can't do research unless we gouge you" although they don't use the word gouge of course.

My insurance is great so I'm unaffected. Even my Descovy (cash price $2300/month) costs $6 and that's the maximum I have to pay for any drug.

They need to do something seniors are really suffering with everything that they have to pay out its ridiculous.

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Hope everyone is doing well. It's been another quiet week in here. 

Snowbird season is in full swing down here. I'm looking forward to the end. Northern drivers don't know how to drive when it's sunny and bright out. 

Enjoy your weekend.

For anyone who needs it:

I Love You Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, Fae Briona said:

Surgery is Monday morning at 8am.  Ended up having a mild panic attack at the end of the day at work, but have tried to remind myself that I covered as many things as possible to make sure things flow smoothly while I'm out.

Hope everything goes well, Fae. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Mrsgnomie said:

Brothers in town for the weekend. Dinner at the pub with the in-laws. Costco run in the am for my sanity.

Real question: How do you avoid family without avoiding family?

Suck it up Buttercup. 🤣

You can always do what one of my brother-in-laws does. Park your butt in a comfy chair in front of the TV and watch football, grunting  a response when asked a question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
10 hours ago, Mrsgnomie said:

Brothers in town for the weekend. Dinner at the pub with the in-laws. Costco run in the am for my sanity.

Real question: How do you avoid family without avoiding family?

Wait, what? You're going to Costco on a Saturday morning for your sanity?? Sweet Jesus and I thought my family was bad! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, spyke said:

Wait, what? You're going to Costco on a Saturday morning for your sanity?? Sweet Jesus and I thought my family was bad! 🤣

You've got that right. I only go to Costco on Tuesday or Thursday mornings at 9am. They open an hour earlier for your older people like me! I'm always amazed at people who seem to have unlimited time and no money. You'll see lines at the Costco gas station that might take 30 minutes to reach the front and you're only saving 10 cents/gallon compared to a Wawa right beside it almost. Even if you have one of those gas guzzling vehicles that look like you could fit a platoon in that's no more than 18 gallons. So your time, at that rate, is only worth $3.60/hour to you.

I used to buy a lot at Costco but the things I was buying I could get cheaper at a Lidl or Aldis. Like butter (I bake a lot), eggs, cream (I also make my own ice cream) and most meats. Sometimes they'll have an item cheaper than one of the local grocery stores but not all that often.

What I still buy? Ziploc bags. I use a lot of those. Rotisserie chicken, no way they make anything selling it for $4.99. Don't confuse it with your grocery store rotisserie chicken, those are tiny. The Costco one is almost the size of a roasting chicken. Dishwasher liquid, cat litter.

I was going to ride past it today, see what the gas line looked like but I decided not to drive 1 mile out of my path. People are panicking about our upcoming storm which here in the MD suburbs of DC looks to be much of nothing. A few inches of snow, a little ice and lots of rain to wash all that away.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

People are panicking about our upcoming storm which here in the MD suburbs of DC looks to be much of nothing. A few inches of snow, a little ice and lots of rain to wash all that away.

The first winter I lived in MD I got stuck in traffic trying to get home from work. At the time I worked in Arlington and lived just south of Annapolis. Commute was normally just shy of an hour with DC traffic. 

Snow started late morning.. about 3 inches by the time I left at 3pm. Took me 6 freaking hours. The traffic was gridlocked on every single road. Pre-cell phone days, had to stop and call my SIL from a pay phone to pick up my son from daycare. 

By the time I got home there was about 6 inches on the ground. Worse commute ever. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, kbois said:

The first winter I lived in MD I got stuck in traffic trying to get home from work. At the time I worked in Arlington and lived just south of Annapolis. Commute was normally just shy of an hour with DC traffic. 

Snow started late morning.. about 3 inches by the time I left at 3pm. Took me 6 freaking hours. The traffic was gridlocked on every single road. Pre-cell phone days, had to stop and call my SIL from a pay phone to pick up my son from daycare. 

By the time I got home there was about 6 inches on the ground. Worse commute ever. 

Not sure if you saw the news story about our last winter storm, I think it was Jan 4th. We had about 8" of snow here, to the south towards Fredricksburg they had more. It started to snow at a rate of about 3" per hour between DC and Fredricksburg and 18 wheelers began to jackknife, blocking the interstate in both directions.

People were stuck in their cars for up to 27 hours before they managed to get the road cleared. Even the US senator from VA was caught up in the mess for over 20 hours. Also the power went out so those cars that made it off the interstate couldn't find gas, food or shelter. The power was out for a week in places.

Thankfully we just had the 8" of snow. Our little town keeps the roads cleared, as soon as the snow ended you could drive out of our town. Of course the other local towns weren't as good.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
11 hours ago, spyke said:

It's not busy! But the nearest Costco is an hour away so I don't have the luxury of week day trips

• Like 2
11 hours ago, spyke said:

It's not busy! But the nearest Costco is an hour away so I don't have the luxury of week day trips!

I got back from Costco and started organizing my kitchen (has been an ongoing project for about a month). We're building pull out drawers for a few of our cabinets and I went through and organized all the storage lids and containers. Turns out we have about 40 lids with no containers. How? How does this happen? Where did the containers go? I'm at a complete loss right now. 

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, Mrsgnomie said:

It's not busy! But the nearest Costco is an hour away so I don't have the luxury of week day trips!

I got back from Costco and started organizing my kitchen (has been an ongoing project for about a month). We're building pull out drawers for a few of our cabinets and I went through and organized all the storage lids and containers. Turns out we have about 40 lids with no containers. How? How does this happen? Where did the containers go? I'm at a complete loss right now. 

I think I have the bottoms. Couldn’t find lids last time I weeded mine out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
21 minutes ago, Mrsgnomie said:

Must be the cousin to the dryer sock thief that resides in my house! 🤣

• Haha 4
6 hours ago, spyke said:

Must be the cousin to the dryer sock thief that resides in my house! 🤣

Hubs said, “you know what they say, every sock that doesn’t have a pair turns turns Into a Tupperware lid.” 

• Haha 3

I wonder how many times my laptop will update before it catches back up?

I have a laptop with Win 10 that I only use for my APBA baseball draft meeting in early Feb. It's an in person deal near Baltimore and is usually a lot of fun. Last year's meeting was canceled because of covid and I only use this laptop for the baseball meeting so it hasn't been turned on in almost 2 years.

It's updated 4 times so far in two days. Hopefully it finishes before the meeting!

• Haha 4
  • Site Moderator
14 minutes ago, Solus Magus said:

Plus, I've been hitting the gym for a couple of months. Gonna get that beach bod ready for summer!

Good to see you, Solus. Good to hear you had family time, because, you know. 

Summer, eh? 
I was shovelling out from under snowmageddon this afternoon. My driveway then clearing what the plows dumped (three feet deep and about as wide down to the road). Then I  helped two of my neighbours dig out the bottom of their driveways.

Im ready for summer to start tomorrow…

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Wow 4
1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

Good to see you, Solus.

Summer, eh? 
I was shovelling out from under snowmageddon this afternoon. My driveway then clearing what the plows dumped (three feet deep and about as wide down to the road). Then I  helped two of my neighbours dig out the bottom of their driveways.

Im ready for summer to start tomorrow…

Oh no. Sorry to hear that! I have never seen snow yet in my life since I've never left this tropical country yet. If everything goes fine, then I'll finally be able to move to Paris next year! Can't wait! Then I can finally experience snow and understand all the rants people have about winter. LMAO.

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, Solus Magus said:

Oh no. Sorry to hear that! I have never seen snow yet in my life since I've never left this tropical country yet. If everything goes fine, then I'll finally be able to move to Paris next year! Can't wait! Then I can finally experience snow and understand all the rants people have about winter. LMAO.

I hope you get to see your first snowfall next year. 

There's something special about the first snowfall of the season, or seeing it for the first time. The way it sounds as it crunches under your feet. The hush that surrounds you when you go outside at night, flakes drifting down. The way the cold air nips at your face. That's what I like to remember.

I can do without the back-breaking shoveling, scraping snow and ice off the car, blow drying the dog because there's ice balls stuck to its fur, missing gloves, boots that are still wet inside and discovering after two hours outside shoveling that there's no hot chocolate!😆

These days I prefer scraping sand from my flip flops!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..