Reviews and Five Star Ratings...

1 hour ago, James K said:

The thread is going off topic. The original post was not about posting comments or criticism of authors. The question was: I gave a 4 star review and the author said don't bother giving a review if it's not 5 stars, what should I do?

The problem or point at issue is giving a less than 5 star review. @centexhairysub gives less than 5 star reviews and doesn't say what's wrong. There in lies the problem/issue. 

I would say you ought to say what's wrong with a story that it lost a star or two. 

There are other issues raised, but they should be in another thread.

Thank you for your responses to this thread.  I had one author from GayAuthors and one from another site that uses a similar review system.  Neither seemed concerned with what I wrote in the review but only that I did not give it five stars.  My reading of their messages was that they were not concerned with my actual review but of the star ratings.  Maybe I did not communicate that well enough in my original post; if so I apologize.  

I am unsure how to ask what your responses triggered in me, but here goes.  Do you feel that every story deserves a five star rating and anything less has to have a delineation as to why it lost a star or two?  Even if I enjoyed everything about a story, the plot, the writing, the characters, etc...; can it not still be only a four star just because that is what I felt after reading it?  Do I have to explain why I felt that way? 

I am going to give an example, not sure it will help.  I had an author on another site that wrote a story that I loved....  The character development, characters, and writing were first rate; there were a few issues with grammar and the author did meander a bit in a few chapters but I rated it five stars because I just loved the story.  The author then got the book published and sold on Amazon, not sure of all the ends and out of that, but an editor was listed so I know he had gotten some professional help.  The grammatical errors had been corrected and the meandering parts sharpened; but while the overall storyline was not changed when I bought the book on Amazon, I simply did not enjoy it as much.  I have a four star review there.  Because of the editor, the book was technically better than before; but I just did not get as much enjoyment from it, don't even know if I can explain why.  When I left the four star review on Amazon, I talked about what I enjoyed in the book, I did nothing to indicate why I did not rate it five stars because I wanted to praise the author as this was his first published professional work.  Should I have tried to explain why I give him only four stars and put something negative in what I wrote?

I am not trying to be difficult, I guess I am just being dense about this; because I don't understand why I need to justify the star rating...  @James K, please help me understand your point of view on this... 

• Like 4

@centexhairysub to keep this simple, a review is a balanced appraisal of a story, which includes an indication of what the story is about without giving away the ending. The reviewer may or may not recommend the story, depends how much they liked it. It seems quite obvious you can rate a story from one to five stars and that there is no need to rate a story five stars every time. That would be a sort of nepotism amongst writers, you rate me five stars I will rate you the same. I don't want to go there, although I know that exists. I do believe you should mention the bad points or less good points, if you like. Obviously if you give a story four stars there is something you found detracted from it being perfect. Well, what? The author wants to know, the potential reader wants to know. You can ignore any author who tells you not to criticise them, @Carlos Hazday covered that. You post a story, there is a review system, reviews are plus and minus points. It is very simple, although you can be led to thinking you are treading on eggshells daring to say something negative. Never mind, so long as your review is balanced and polite. If you say why you didn't like some aspect of a story, it's balanced. But you do need to say, you can't, not for me write reviews like the example I quoted, "well written, recommend you read it, four stars..." but no explanation with it didn't make five stars.

• Like 3

I also think we need to keep in mind - within this topic - we're not all coming from the same place. Some people are new to feedback, I wasn't the best at taking criticism when I was first starting out. "Public," or not, I don't think we should be off-handedly telling people to toughen up about their writing. It is easy for seasoned authors who have been here, to know how the system works and how to take critical feedback. That is why there is a perfectly fine thought of doing critical assessments and reviews in a more private setting. Especially since it is just easier to be more relaxed when you're not afraid of any sort of backlash from other readers that may not share the critical views being posted. To each their own, but I wouldn't want to dismiss anyone's concerns about feedback here, like I said, we're not all seasoned and used to critical feedback/reviews/star ratings. It is a growing pain that we all must go through and if you say that you have always been okay with critical feedback - then I would think you've told a wee little fib. :P 

It wasn't terribly poor manners if done respectfully, for an author to ask that a reader 'not' review something, specifically. It is also okay for the reviewer to walk away from that story on the basis of feeling pushed aside as well. Like I said in my earlier post, it is a good thing to be engaged with the audience that you have. I hope all authors who feel similarly learns how to take criticism better, or at least not be overwhelmed by critical assessments. If you're worried about a less than 5-Star rating, don't be, it is guaranteed to happen. It isn't a perfect system, and it never will be. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

I want to thank everyone for their comments on this thread.  After reading them all; I realize that part of the issue with my reviews is that I tend not to leave criticism in the actual review.  Unless something is just truly egregious, I tend to only write what I like in the actual review and then give it a star rating based on how much I liked the story.  I do use the recommend buttons as well, sometimes too liberally.  Those authors that regularly have me read their works know that I tend to comment on each and every chapter of a story.  Some of those comments are often more critical than anything in my reviews.  I even had an author that I followed for a long time, pause a story over a very critical story comment; he sent me a pm for additional feedback because I made him question the whole direction of where he was going with the storyline.  I honestly, never want to do that...  I appreciate the time, energy, and giving of yourself that each author demonstrates when he/she post a story on here.  The stories are their creations and good or bad; they should be appreciated for what they are, something the author is choosing to share with the rest of us.  

Thanks for all the feedback.

Thank you for being an engaging reader and for asking this questions. I think it has been and will continue to be helpful to readers and authors who happen upon this thread. 

• Like 5

It's not surprising that authors don't like to receive anything less than five stars, but it seems bad form to tell a reader not to leave a review with less than that.

Since, when someone clicks on the Story menu the first umpteen stories to show up are all in progress and therefore have no reviews, it seems a bit silly to focus on reviews, when we users are being trained not to look for them.  And in any case, my tastes are so idiosyncratic that it's simply easier to start reading a likely-looking story and form my own opinion, rather than rely on anyone else's.

By the way, does anyone know why the system prompts readers to leave a review before they start reading, rather than after?  I've always wondered.

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator
8 minutes ago, BigBen said:

By the way, does anyone know why the system prompts readers to leave a review before they start reading, rather than after?  I've always wondered.

You will have to define what you mean by this statement. The system only specifically prompts you to review at the bottom of the last chapter of a completed story. 

• Like 1