Jump to content
    Dodger
  • Author
  • 7,335 Words
  • 2,652 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Contains mature content

The Cockney Canuck - 165. Chapter 165 Birthday Privileges

Friday was Nathan’s birthday, and I was up extra early to call him and jump in the shower before Nicola hogged the bathroom. Sixteen was the age of consent in Canada and an important milestone in our relationship. From now on, we could legally have sex without breaking the law, which made it a little easier for his parents to justify my overnight stays in his room. I was still shagging their son, but at least now he wasn’t underage.

Sue had already agreed to my request to stay at Nathan’s house that night, but his unexpected break into the movie business had forced a last-minute change of plans. His parents wanted him to celebrate at home with his extended family rather than go to Ginny’s house, and Daniel and Sue were at the top of their list of invites.

“My parents like your mom,” said Nathan, “and now that your lunatic father isn’t around, there’s nothing to stop them from being friends.”

I reminded him that my lunatic father was still here and unlikely to be happy with a move he would see as nothing less than treason. Daniel would probably go, but I expected Sue to take a more cautious approach, at least until Don was no longer a threat.

Nathan disagreed. “You’re being overprotective. It’s about time our parents got to know each other better.”

That much was true. Nathan was a regular visitor to our house long before I arrived on the scene, and Sue regarded him almost as a de facto member of her family. The same was true with Daniel, who had spent more nights in Nathan’s bedroom than me, albeit in a different capacity.

Other than a couple of hastily arranged dinner parties last summer, Don’s religious agenda had prevented the two families from becoming friends, and his recent attempts to ostracise Nathan had caused unnecessary friction. Morgan and Elizabeth made no secret of their dislike for Don, especially after hearing that their son was no longer welcome in our house. They were happy, therefore, when I told them about my parent’s divorce, and they must have seen this as an opportunity to build bridges and repair some of the damage inflicted by Don’s divisive policies.

*     *     *

My boyfriend was at his extravagant best and surrounded by his usual admirers when I saw him at lunchtime in the cafeteria. There wasn’t enough room for another chair, so he gave me his and spent the next fifty minutes perched on my knee. It gave him an elevated position deserving of his newfound status, and he used it to good effect as he talked about his exciting new career in the movie business.

His pretentious young friends were mostly girls from his drama club—wannabee actors who considered Nathan a kind of mentor. They sat around him like his disciples as he answered their questions, stopping only for the occasional bite from a tuna sandwich.

“What’s Robbie gonna do while you’re away filming.”

My ears pricked up at the mention of my name, and I wondered why the young redhead opposite didn’t ask me directly. It seemed to confirm my unimportance, so I swallowed a mouthful of ham and cheese and looked around my boyfriend’s slender waist to stare at her.

“I’m taking Robbie with me,” said Nathan, and he turned to face me with a huge grin. “I can’t go a whole month without him.”

There was a collective sigh from his admirers and some knowing smiles in my direction, but I was just as surprised as everyone else. There was no mention of this in our earlier conversation.

“What do you mean you’re taking me with you?”

“Well, I’m going to need a personal assistant—someone to look after me and keep me warm at night. I’m sure they won’t mind if I bring my teddy bear.” He flashed a saucy grin at his friends, who cooed and giggled. I suppose a teddy bear was less of a threat to their idol than a boyfriend, and for a few seconds, I was popular with the in-crowd. “What do you think?”

I was glad he managed to ask my opinion, but I would have preferred it if he had consulted with me before announcing it to his friends. I would have gladly accepted his offer, but pride and stubbornness got in the way.

“Sorry. I already promised to help Rory. You should’ve asked me sooner.”

Nathan’s expression was funnier than any of his jokes that day, but it failed to get a single laugh from his fellow drama students. They looked at me as if I had lost my mind, and I knew that any of them would have gladly paid good money to be Nathan’s teddy bear for a month.

My boyfriend folded his arms and glared at me as he considered his next move. This wasn’t in the script.

“Help him with what?”

“He didn’t say. All I know is he needs my help.”

“Well, he can’t have it! Boyfriends come first.”

Nathan’s friends looked baffled by his apparent willingness to fight for my services. They never understood the attraction and were unaware of his intense distrust of Rory. I began to suspect my golden-haired friend was the main reason Nathan wanted me to go with him in the first place.

I refused to be intimidated, so he changed tactics.

“You’ll have more fun with me,” he said, licking his lips and drawing imaginary circles on my chest. “Imagine living together for a whole month in a hotel.”

“But you’ll be working all day, and I’ll be stuck on my own in a strange city where I won’t know anyone.”

“No, you’ll be with me on set as my personal assistant, taking care of my needs. No one can do that better than you.”

He was right; I knew him better than anyone and was used to caring for his needs. I told him I would talk to Sue about it and tried to look like I wasn’t excited about travelling across the country to watch my boyfriend act in a movie.

At the end of lunch, I got a kiss on the cheek from all of Nathan’s thespian friends. It looked as if they were finally beginning to warm to me or at least accept me as his boyfriend.

It didn’t bother me either way. I was more concerned by Rory’s decision to spend his lunch with one of the girls from our science class. They sat alone in the corner, sharing a plate of food.

“I’m helping with her science project,” he said when I questioned him on the way to our next class. “She’s worried about her grades.”

Science was one of his strong subjects, and I thought it was nice of him to offer his services, but there had to be another reason.

I tugged his arm and whispered. “She’s nice looking, don’t you think?”

“What’s that got to do with it?”

“I’m only saying, and she’s got big tits.”

Rory thought that was funny. “That sounded so weird coming from you, dude. Like when have you ever been interested in girl’s tits.”

He was right. I had zero interest in such things, and it was an unconvincing act, but I didn’t believe him when he said he hadn’t noticed. Most boys I knew were obsessed with this part of the female anatomy.

My experience in this field was limited, and I failed to understand the fascination. Fran’s grapefruit-sized bosoms were only mildly interesting, while Stephanie’s giant watermelons gave me nightmares.

My sister’s pregnant friend was still absent from school but was supposed to visit our house that night. To keep us apart, Nicola arranged it to coincide with Nathan’s birthday, knowing I wouldn’t be at home, although I wasn’t sure why this was so important.

According to Nicola, it would be better for me if I had no further contact with Stephanie, and to make double sure I wasn’t going home, she carried my overnight bag from my locker to Nathan’s bus.

“Thanks, Nicola. I’m sure Nathan can carry it from here.”

My sister dropped the bag at my boyfriend’s feet and kissed us both on the cheek.

“Happy birthday, Nathan. Have a nice weekend, and go easy on my brother.”

“That won’t happen,” said Nathan. He gave me a saucy wink as he hopped onto the bus. “Tonight, your ass is mine. Birthday privileges.”

After winning the race to his front door, he dragged me upstairs, passing his sister on the landing. She followed us to his room and stood in the doorway while I allowed her brother to pin me to his bed.

“Mom wants you to tidy your room and help downstairs. Hello Robbie.”

“Hello, Karen.” As I spoke, my boyfriend peppered my face with kisses, making me laugh.

“Your mom will be here at seven.”

“Seriously?”

I pushed Nathan aside and sat upright, wiping his spit from my face with the back of my hand.

It was nice of his parents to reach out to Sue when she most needed friends, but I was surprised she accepted their invitation. It showed how quickly things were changing and how little influence Don now had over his family. His ship was sinking fast. A few months ago, such a move would have been unthinkable.

“Daniel’s coming too,” said Karen. “Is it okay with you guys if he stays the night?”

Nathan was ecstatic. “Of course, he can sleep in the basement.”

Karen shook her head. “Daniel can share with you.” She pointed at the fold-up bed in the corner of the room my brother used to use during his sleepovers.

Nathan frowned. “He can’t sleep in here.”

“Why not?” said Karen. “He always sleeps up here.”

“But Robbie’s going to be here tonight. We sleep together, don’t forget. It’ll be weird.”

“No, it won’t. You just have to keep your hands off each other for one night. You can do that, right?”

I shared a concerned look with my boyfriend, and we shook our heads.

“I don’t think so,” I said.

Nathan was more assertive. “Definitely not.”

“You mean, you never sleep together without having sex?”

“No,” said Nathan, and he looked at me and laughed as if it was the most ridiculous thing ever. “What’s the point in doing that?”

I agreed with my boyfriend. “That really would be weird.”

Karen looked shocked. “Geez, you guys should give it a rest. You need to show some restraint, and tonight’s a good time to start.”

“But it’s my birthday, and now I can legally have sex whenever I want.”

“Except tonight,” said Karen. “Unless you want to lose your best friend. Because I don’t think Daniel will be too happy.”

My boyfriend flicked back his hair and posed in front of the mirror. “You never know; maybe I can persuade him to join in.”

“You can count me out.” I wasn’t interested in Nathan’s incestuous fantasies. “Looks like there’ll be no birthday privileges for you today, Romeo. My arse is safe for another day.”

It had all the hallmarks of a conspiracy—a deliberate ploy by Sue to thwart our love life, but Daniel’s hastily arranged sleepover was Nicola’s idea. She wanted the basement to herself so that Stephanie could stay the night. I thought it was a little late for her friend to develop an aversion to boys, but I got the impression Daniel didn’t have much say in the matter.

“I told her they’re not allowed in our room,” said my disgruntled brother when he arrived that evening with Sue. “I wish Dad would just move out so we can get back to normal.”

I had to hand it to Daniel; his prophecy about Nicola taking over the basement could not have been more accurate. The family room was now her bedroom, and our bathroom was her en-suite. We even had to knock before leaving our room.

My eternally opportunistic boyfriend considered it a blessing in disguise. He was on a roll and excited by the prospect of renewing his close friendship with the boy he had been forbidden to see. It was more proof of Don’s disastrous tactics. His misguided attempts to sabotage their relationship had only pushed his son further away.

“I get to spend the night with two hot brothers,” said Nathan as he dragged Daniel upstairs. “Have you ever played menage a trois?”

My brother and boyfriend were still tighter than a gnat’s arse, and whenever they got together, I was surplus to requirements. I was a year older and didn’t share their passion for video games, but I didn’t mind. It gave me a chance to talk to Sue about Nathan’s proposition. I wanted to know if she would object to me going to Vancouver with him.

“I don’t know,” she said. “A month is a long time. Who’s going to look after you.”

“I think we’ll be staying in a hotel.”

“You can’t stay in a hotel on your own, dear, not without supervision. I’ll need to speak to someone first.”

“Your mom’s right,” said Karen. “You’re both still minors. I’ll have to go too.”

“I think we should all go,” added Morgan. “Better safe than sorry.”

Nathan’s entourage was getting bigger by the second.

“I think we’re getting a little ahead of ourselves,” said Elizabeth. “Nathan hasn’t even signed a contract yet. There’s a lot to be sorted out before he can start making travel arrangements.”

Sue looked relieved. She was starting to relax after a difficult start. I wondered what Don would think if he knew she was here, fraternising with the enemy.

Morgan was the total opposite of Don. He thought I was the best thing since sliced bread and often referred to me as his son-in-law. While the women chatted in the kitchen, he put his arm around me and took me into the living room to watch the baseball and talk like men.

“How’s life at home now, Robbie? Do you see much of Don?”

“He hasn’t moved out if that’s what you mean. I wish he would. Then Sue could get her room back, and Nicola would leave us alone.”

“It sounds like a difficult situation for the family, but I’m mostly concerned about you. Are you safe?”

Morgan was rarely that serious, and I was waiting for him to make a joke out of it. When it didn’t happen, I dismissed his concerns in much the same way as I used to with Jo.

“Don is a big bloke, and sometimes he loses his temper; it runs in the family, I suppose, but he’s never hit me.” I gave Morgan a reassuring smile. “I’m always too quick for him.”

Morgan looked horrified and nearly dropped his beer. “So, you’re telling me the only reason he hasn’t hit you is because he can’t catch you?”

“Have you seen his waistline lately?”

“Robbie, this isn’t good, you ….” Morgan stopped mid-sentence when I could no longer keep a straight face. “Little rascal. You had me fooled.”

Playing a joke on Morgan was particularly satisfying; it was usually the other way around. The master, however, was gracious in defeat. “I can see I got some competition around here.”

He smiled at me and then moaned at the television as a scoreless inning ended in a double play.

I used the commercial break to ask Liz if I could have a drink. She was talking to Sue, but their conversation stopped when I entered the kitchen.

“There’s some pop in the fridge,” said Liz and she waited until I left with a can of Sprite before continuing her chat with my mom. I figured I was the topic of their conversation and was unable to resist an opportunity to eavesdrop. I took my drink to the living room and told Morgan I had to pee. Then I crept back along the hall and stood by the cupboard under the stairs, just out of sight but close enough to hear.

“I know they’re not officially breaking the law,” said Sue. “But I still think they’re a little young to doing stuff like that.”

“No one likes to think of their kids having sex,” said Liz, “but it’s a reality.”

I was right, and I hit the jackpot. It sounded like Liz was explaining her decision to allow Nathan and me to sleep together at their house. It was a contentious issue with Sue, and I knew she would have to raise the subject.

“I know we can’t stop them,” said Sue. “But I don’t think we should make it too easy for them either.”

“What happened to Nathan put everything into perspective,” said Liz. “. We figured if they wanted to do it, they would find a way. It’s safer for them to do it here than in a seedy motel or somewhere where they could be in danger.”

I missed Sue’s response when Morgan cheered a Blue Jays home run and made me jump. He was too loud, and Sue was too quiet, so I edged closer and strained my ears.

“We insist on certain rules,” said Liz. “This is our family home, not a place where they can go to have sex whenever they feel like it.”

“If you don’t mind me asking,” said Sue. “What are the rules?”

“Well, for a start, whatever they get up, we don’t want to hear it. So, they must be discreet and only in their bedroom. We also want them to stay safe and healthy, which means condoms. They buy their own, and I know my husband also keeps them supplied.”

“Really?” said Sue. “I can’t imagine Don ever doing something like that.”

‘But he bought me flowers to give to Fran so I could get laid.’

Liz did a good job selling it to Sue, but it wasn’t entirely true. We weren’t always discreet, and I couldn’t remember the last time either of us wore a condom. Recently, I started giving some of the ones Morgan bought to Daniel.

“The boys are well-informed,” said Liz. “They know what products they need and keep them out of sight.”

“I didn’t realise they needed any special products,” said Sue.

“There are certain things boys need to use if they have sex. To make it easier. You know what I mean.”

I wasn’t convinced she did, but I think I preferred it that way. Liz was way too knowledgeable about our activities for my liking. I was embarrassed, but I stayed put as she continued.

“They know the importance of personal hygiene. They’re always in the shower, often at the same time, and Nathan does his own laundry, so I don’t have to change their sheets. It was awkward at first, but now I treat them like a married couple, and that’s how they behave.”

“I must admit, I was a little worried,” said Sue. “You’ve helped to put my mind at rest.”

“If you have any questions you don’t feel comfortable talking to Robbie about, you can always ask us.”

I could sense Sue’s relief, but she gave no indication that she was about to allow the same arrangements in her house, even if Don decided to move out. I suppose after years of conditioning from an abusive and domineering husband; it was unrealistic to expect her to change overnight. The fact that she was in Nathan’s house and speaking positively to his mom about our relationship instead of sweeping it under the carpet was a huge step forward.

Sensing the conversation was over, I began inching my way back along the hall before freezing when Sue mentioned my name.

“There is one thing. Robbie has a tendency to ….” She paused before lowering her voice to a whisper. “Well, let’s just say he’s been a little promiscuous. I don’t think he means to be, but he’s very insecure, and people have taken advantage of it.”

“I’ve never got that impression,” said Liz. “He’s totally devoted to Nathan.”

“It was before they started seeing each other again, so maybe it was just a phase. You’re aware he’s going to be a father.”

“Yes, I am, but he never talks about it. Nathan told me it was only one night, and I assumed she would have an abortion.”

“She’s a friend of Nicola, and I’ve been trying to persuade her to put the baby up for adoption, but that’s not going to happen. It’s another problem that could have been avoided if Robbie learned to say no. He’s lacked guidance in that department, and I’m not much good at that type of thing.”

I felt guilty again for causing so many problems and being unable to resist temptation, but I thought Sue was exaggerating.

“I suppose Don hasn’t been much help,” said Liz.

‘That’s an understatement.’

“He’s just made things worse by shouting at Robbie and trying to get him involved in that church.”

I nearly jumped out of my skin when the doorbell rang. I had to move quickly, so I ducked into the cupboard under the stairs and crouched in the dark while Liz and Morgan introduced Sue to Nathan’s uncle, aunt, and cousins.

“You must be Robbie’s mom,” said Liz’s sister. “He’s such a sweet boy.”

“Sometimes,” said Sue.

I was well-known to Nathan’s family despite having only met in passing. Liz and Morgan had been telling them how wonderful I was, and now I had to live up to my billing. I wondered what they would think if they found me hiding under the stairs.

“Robbie’s around here somewhere,” said Liz.

All I could do was sit tight and hope no one needed anything from the cupboard, but it was Nathan who they came to see, and I was soon forgotten about when the budding movie star arrived. He bounded down the stairs and stood directly above me on the landing to invite his cousins to his room.

I waited a few minutes until I was sure no one was left in the hall before gingerly opening the door to peek out. My luck was in, and I crawled out on my hands and knees before casually strolling into the kitchen.

‘Mission accomplished.’

The small gathering doubled in size when the rest of Nathan’s extended family arrived, and he was forced to leave his bedroom and socialise. My boyfriend was in demand, and his break into the movie business dominated the conversation.

As far as his family were concerned, this was simply the first step in a pre-ordained rise to stardom. I was a little more reserved about his chances and worried about his already over-inflated ego.

It was a lot of pressure to put on someone so young, but I could understand why his family were happy. It was less than six months since the incident at the Palm Springs Motel that could easily have ended his life.

Later, his dad choked up, recalling his despair after seeing his son in the hospital.

“It was like our whole world collapsed,” he said. “And things got worse when he came home. We didn’t know what we were doing. He wouldn’t talk to us; he wouldn’t eat. It was every parent’s worst nightmare.” Morgan paused to take a sip of brandy and pointed across the kitchen at me. “Then this young man turned up at our door, and everything changed. I don’t know how you did it, but I sure am grateful to you.”

Nathan squeezed my hand while his sister led a round of applause. Morgan was a little drunk at the time, but his impromptu speech was well-received, and Sue looked particularly proud.

I wasn’t convinced I deserved any credit for Nathan’s miraculous recovery. He would have healed without my help, and there were things they didn’t know about, like his continued drug use. My efforts to keep him on the straight and narrow were hampered by my own inability to resist temptation, making me feel like a fraud.

To show his appreciation, Morgan pulled me aside and offered me a glass of his best brandy. I gladly accepted but managed only a couple of sips before Sue snatched it from my hand.

“Robbie’s not old enough to drink yet, Morgan.”

I rolled my eyes and protested. “It’s alcohol-free.”

Sue called my bluff, tasted it and shuddered, then handed the glass to Morgan, who passed it straight back to me.

“I’m sure a small one won’t hurt. It’ll put some hairs on his chest.”

I wanted to see if he was right, but before I could raise the glass to my lips, it was back in Sue’s hand. Morgan had a lot to learn.

“He doesn’t need hairs on his chest.”

‘Why did they invite her?’

Morgan was seriously pissed and needed the bookshelf to steady himself before Liz came to his rescue. She apologised to us for his behaviour and led him away, but I couldn’t help laughing when he stumbled and had to be caught by his brother. It was only a matter of time before he started singing.

“You shouldn’t laugh,” said Sue.

“Why not? He’s drunk.”

“It’s not a pleasant experience being drunk, you know. It’s a horrible feeling.” Sue must have realised she was wasting her time. “But I suppose you already know that.”

I protested my innocence, but it wasn’t necessary. Lately, I was Sue’s favourite, and I played the part to perfection, much to Daniel’s annoyance. At the end of the night, when most of the guests had gone home, I offered to help Karen clean up and was dispatched to the kitchen to load the dishwasher.

It was a stroke of good fortune. On the table were scraps of leftover food and empty plates, and in the middle, standing proudly on its own, was Morgan’s brandy. The green teardrop-shaped bottle was nearly half full when I examined the label.

‘Forty-five per cent is strong!’

My brother made me jump. “What are you doing?”

“None of your business; go away.”

I unscrewed the cap and took a quick swig from the bottle. I hated the taste but liked the tipsy feeling alcohol gave me.

“I’m gonna tell mom.”

“I don’t care.”

“Let me try some then.”

“No way! You’re too young.”

“So are you.”

This was unusual behaviour from Daniel. The only time I could remember him touching alcohol was at my birthday party, and that was just beer. I suppose it was only a matter of time before curiosity got the better of him, so I told him to wait his turn while I took another quick gulp from the bottle and forced myself to swallow.

‘How do people drink this stuff?’

I coughed and shuddered as it burned its way through my insides like alien blood, but I held onto the bottle despite repeated attempts by Daniel to take it from me.

I pushed him away. “You won’t like it.”

“How do you know? It’s only like wine.”

“No, it’s not ….” I looked beyond him to the hallway and changed my mind when I saw Sue heading our way.

“Here, you can have the rest.” I pressed the bottle against his chest and quickly walked away as she entered the kitchen and caught him red-handed. He jumped when she shouted his name, choking on a mouthful of brandy and spilling it down the front of his t-shirt.

Sue was seething as she grabbed the bottle from her son and demanded an explanation. He glanced across the kitchen at me for help, and she followed his eyes.

“Don’t look at me. I tried to stop him, but he wouldn’t listen.”

“He’s lying!”

“No, I’m not.”

As Sue turned to Daniel, I stood behind her and drew an imaginary line across my throat to warn him of the consequences of snitching.

“I only wanted to try it.”

It was a pathetic excuse guaranteed to make her even angrier, so I gave him the thumbs up and waited for her verdict.

She folded her arms—a stance that usually signalled the harshest punishment, like a judge donning a black cap before handing out a death sentence.

“You’re grounded!”

‘Yes!’

I managed to remain poker-faced, but inside I was doing somersaults. I waited a long time for this. He may have been set up, but it didn’t matter as long as he was punished and I wasn’t. It was the first time he had ever been grounded, and he glared at me as I grabbed his arm and tried to walk him to the door.

“Never mind, Daniel. Off you go.”

“You too, Robbie.” Sue’s words stopped me in my tracks and made Daniel smirk as I spun around. “I saw you give him the bottle. You’re both grounded for the rest of the weekend starting tomorrow.”

“That’s not fair.” I followed her around the kitchen before lashing out at Daniel to stop him from laughing. My punch connected with his lip harder than I intended and sparked a serious altercation. Most of our fights were friendly, but not this time. In a few seconds of uncontrolled chaos, we exchanged several punches and wrestled each other to the floor, knocking over the table in the process. The bottle of brandy and half a dozen plates smashed, scattering broken glass, alcohol, and what was left of Nathan’s birthday cake across the kitchen floor. Sue could only watch in horror as we were pulled apart by Nathan’s older cousin and uncle and dragged unceremoniously into the yard.

My ears were ringing and sore, and Daniel had a cut on his lip that looked a lot worse than it was, but the kitchen was wrecked. It resembled a war zone, and Sue was understandably furious. I could hear her apologising to Liz as she helped clean up the mess.

Nathan found it quite amusing when he joined us outside after surveying the damage.

“I can’t believe you guys were wrestling in cake, and I missed it; I would have paid good money to watch that.”

“He started it,” said Daniel, spitting blood and glaring at me across the patio. He was visibly shaken and had to be restrained by Nathan to prevent him from continuing the fight. I was calmer and more annoyed with myself than my brother. All my recent hard work was undone by an inexplicable moment of madness I couldn’t control. I felt bad for letting Sue down and causing her even more problems.

While Nathan said goodbye to the last of the guests, Daniel and I were left alone in the backyard. We sat on opposite sides of the property, playing with our phones while keeping one eye on the enemy in a tense and silent standoff.

I spent the time texting Rory. He was the voice of reason and increasingly the person I turned to whenever I was in trouble. He told me I should apologise to Daniel, and maybe he was right. I allowed him to get caught by Sue, fuelled by an obsessive desire to see him grounded at any cost. Then, when it backfired, I lashed out violently in frustration. I could understand why he felt so aggrieved, but I couldn’t bring myself to say sorry.

It was a while before our mom was calm enough to venture outside, and by then, I was feeling a little drunk. After administering belated first aid to Daniel’s cut and dismissing his attempt to blame me, we were both grounded for a week and sent indoors to apologise to Liz.

“And you can pay for the damages out of your allowances.”

“What allowance?” asked Daniel. “Dad hasn’t given me any money for over a month.”

“And I don’t get an allowance,” I added, but Sue didn’t believe us.

She turned to Liz. “They all get the same, forty dollars a week.”

This wasn’t true, and I needed to set the record straight. “Don hasn’t given me any money in almost a year.”

Sue looked shocked, but I didn’t consider it a big deal. I didn’t need his money.

“Why haven’t you mentioned this before?”

“I thought you knew.”

“And you thought I was okay with that? When was the last time he gave you your allowance?”

The brandy had gone straight to my head, and I couldn’t think straight. If I had known I would be interrogated, I wouldn’t have mentioned it.

“Before my accident.”

“But that’s almost a year.”

“That’s what I said.”

“Are you absolutely certain?”

I was trying hard to remain calm and not look drunk. “Yes. He stopped giving me an allowance when he found out I was gay. I’m not lying!”

“Did he give that as a reason?”

“No, he just didn’t give me any more money.”

“And you didn’t bother to ask him for it?”

It sounded like she was blaming me, and I lost control again. “He wasn’t even talking to me then, if you remember. Anyway, I don’t need his money; I’ve got my own. He can shove it up his fat fucking arse!”

Daniel wisely moved to one side to let me pass as I stormed into the hallway with Sue running behind me.

“Robbie, STOP!”

I froze before I reached the front door and turned around, wiping away tears.

“I didn’t want to ask him for money. That’s what he wants me to do; it’s how he controls people.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you. It’s not your fault. I’m angry at Don, not you.” She clasped my hands between us, then pulled me close for a hug. “I’m shocked. I really had no idea; he didn’t tell me he stopped paying you.”

“I’ve got my own money.”

“I know you have, but we give you a weekly allowance to cover your day-to-day expenses like school lunches. We’re responsible for those expenses. You shouldn’t have to pay for them from your savings. Don had no right to stop your allowance. It’s not even his money; he takes it from our joint account.”

Don always gave the impression it was his money. He would peel bank notes from the wad of cash he always kept in his bulging wallet and make a big show of it. That was his style. He liked to play the bigshot even to his kids, but it was all just an act—part of a make-believe world that was starting to crumble.

“We’ll need to work out how much he owes, and I’ll tell him he has to reimburse you,” said Sue. “That’s the least he can do. Then he can go; I’ve had as much as I can take of him.”

I couldn’t imagine Don giving me nearly two thousand dollars, and Sue must have known this too, but it didn’t matter; he could keep it. As far as I was concerned, if it hastened his departure, it was money well spent.

While I hugged Sue, Daniel was hovering in the background. I suppose it was his mom, too—a position she held long before I arrived—and lately, I was taking a disproportionate amount of her love. She called him over and stood between us.

“I want you two to make up and say sorry,” she said. “Families need to stick together, not fight. There are people who want to divide us, don’t make it easy for them.” She stood back and waited until we mumbled reluctant apologies while trying not to make eye contact.

Nathan’s mom was next. “Okay, so we know now you’re not perfect,” she said. “But I’m not angry at either of you. It’s your mother that I’m concerned about. She’s going through a difficult time. You boys need to put aside your differences and be there for her.”

That was something we could both genuinely agree upon, and I was happy when Sue accepted Liz’s invitation to stay the night. It made sense. Nicola was at home with Amy, and Liz had just opened another bottle of red wine that she couldn’t drink on her own.

I felt better knowing that Sue wasn’t going home that night. I didn’t want her to bump into Don and argue over our stolen allowances, especially if we weren’t there to protect her somehow. Reading between the lines, I was sure that was the point Liz was trying to make.

I had a feeling I was ahead of them in the alcohol stakes. The brandy was strong, but I managed to conceal my drunkenness from everyone except Nathan. He narrowed his eyes at me and then pulled me into the hall.

“How much of that brandy did you have?”

“Just a wincey bit.”

“That’s not a real measurement. You’re drunk!”

I objected. “Tipsy, maybe.”

“Drunk,” insisted my boyfriend, and he dutifully held my hand and led me upstairs. “You’re going to bed before your mom notices, and you get yourself grounded for another week.”

Usually, I liked it when my boyfriend took control, but on this occasion, he genuinely wasn’t happy. My punishment would deny him sex for a week when he was hoping to celebrate reaching the age of consent. He waited while I stripped to my underwear and crawled into his double bed before going back downstairs to watch a movie with Daniel.

‘Not even a kiss goodnight.’

As far as I was concerned, he could find someone else to look after him in Vancouver. I was fed up listening to him talk about himself all the time.

The solution was on speed dial, and I felt a little guilty for waking up Rory at a quarter after eleven, but to my surprise, he wasn’t angry with me. He was happy to talk and sounded sexy in his sleepy voice. Sexy enough to give me a boner that I absent-mindedly played with as we whispered on the phone like lovers. We weren’t talking about sex, but I still had to check myself and sit up at one point or risk making a serious mess in my boyfriend’s bed that would have been difficult to explain.

The oddest thing of all came from Rory’s end. Maybe it was my overactive imagination, but his dreamy voice and random pauses in conversation gave me the distinct impression he was doing the same.

That thought kept me awake long after Nathan and Daniel crept into the darkened room, and I wasn’t disappointed to see my boyfriend climbing into a sleeping bag on the floor. I figured it was more for Daniel’s benefit than a snub to me, and when I woke the following day, my brother was gone. He left early with Sue, who must have decided it was easier to keep us apart and let me sleep. It was good news for the horny boy on the floor, and later, when Morgan and Liz left for their weekly jaunt to the supermarket, my boyfriend got his birthday privileges.

*     *     *

I arrived home just after midday feeling tired, tender, and well and truly fucked. Nicola was in the kitchen with Stephanie, who smiled nervously at me as I stood in the doorway and said hello.

“Mom told me what happened,” said Nicola. “I can’t believe Daniel got grounded. Why were you fighting?”

“He was laughing at me. How are you feeling, Stephanie?”

“She’s okay,” said Nicola. “Aren’t you, Steph?”

“Sometimes,” said Stephanie, and she stared at my sister. She looked better than I imagined, and unusually for her, she wasn’t wearing any makeup, which I quite liked. “I’m going back to school on Monday.”

Nicola looked surprised. “I’m not sure that’s a good idea.”

“I can’t stay off forever. Besides, I’m bored at home.”

I knew that feeling well. “I know what you mean.”

“No, you don’t!” snapped Nicola. “You don’t know what it’s like to be pregnant.”

“Neither do you. But I know what it’s like to be stuck indoors.”

“Maybe I should go home,” said Stephanie.

Nicola glared at me. “Look what you’ve done now. You don’t have to go because of him, Steph.”

“I’m not,” said Stephanie. “It’s because of you. He was being polite; you didn’t need to shout at him.”

My sister was embarrassed. She pushed back her chair and marched into the living room. “Fine; I was only trying to help. You said you didn’t want to talk to him.”

Stephanie shrugged her shoulders and smiled before mouthing an apology. She didn’t need to defend me, but I was glad she did.

“Thanks.”

“That’s okay. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Then why don’t you wanna talk to me?”

She folded her arms on the table and chewed her lip as she considered her reply.

“It’s nothing to do with you. Well, it is, but it’s not your fault. I don’t want to upset you, that’s all. I’m trying not to hurt your feelings.” She could see I was lost. Nothing she said made any sense. “I thought you’d hate me after excluding you, and I don’t blame you either. I shouldn’t even be here.”

“I don’t mind if you’re here and don’t hate you.”

I knew Nicola would be listening from the next room, and she couldn’t resist having a say.

“I told you, Steph. He doesn’t care about the baby. You’re giving him way too much credit. He’s not that sensitive.”

“Wait a minute. That’s not what I said. Of course, I care about the baby, but it’s not my decision. Trying to avoid me isn’t gonna solve anything.”

“He’s right,” said Stephanie. “This is so messed up.”

‘Talking of messed up.’

I laughed when Mr Lube stumbled through the back door. He wasn’t wearing a shirt and looked uncomfortable when he noticed me staring at his skinny torso. He had no need to worry. Whatever attracted Nicola to this guy, it wasn’t his chest.

“Hey, Robbie or is it Rocky now,” he put up his fists and threw a couple of pretend punches that made me smile. He looked nothing like any boxer I had ever seen. “I saw what you did to your brother’s lip. You caught him pretty good.”

“I didn’t mean to.”

“It’s too late, dude. You’ve already been sentenced. You’re helping me and Daniel fix the decking today.”

My brother followed him into the kitchen. He was also shirtless but nicer to look at than Mr Lube. He still hadn’t forgiven me for our fight and glared at me as he walked past to get to the fridge.

“No, I’m not,” I said. “I got things to do.”

“It’s my idea,” said Sue. I looked over my shoulder to see her coming down the stairs. “I’m letting you both work off your punishment instead of being grounded. I think this is a better way going forward. What do you think?”

It seemed like a no-brainer.

‘How long can it take to fix a bit of decking?’

“It’s a deal,” I said. “Maybe I can get a tan.”

I was happy for a chance to get back in Sue’s good books and was prepared to forgive my brother for whatever he did that made me want to kill him.

“It’s not gonna be fun,” said Sue. “You’ll have to work, and if there’s any fighting, the deals off, and you’ll both be grounded again, understand?”

“That’s not fair,” said Nicola. “I knew Daniel would manage to worm his way out of it.”

“Don’t worry,” said Mr Lube, rubbing his filthy hands together. “They’re gonna wish they were grounded when I finish with them. Your asses belong to me today, boys.”

Mr Lube did his best to look menacing, but he was wrong. If anyone owned my ass that day, it was Nathan, and to prove it, he left a sizable deposit that was still causing me problems. I told Mr Lube I’d see him outside and ran downstairs to shower for the second time in as many hours.

It was much easier on top.


If you enjoyed this chapter, please take the time to like, leave a comment below, follow the story, or recommend it to others.
In the next chapter, Sue confronts Don about the missing money and opens a can of worms.
Copyright © 2017 Dodger; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 29
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

For discussion of themes and topics. The book can be found here: https://www.gayauthors.org/story/dodger/thecockneycanuck After 47 chapters and lots of drama I think it's time this story has a discussion topic where readers can interact with the author and each other. There are certainly plenty of situations, characters and emotions to bring up, and of course most of all Robbie the Cockney Canuck. Dodger has kindly given me permission to start this thread and has promised to be part of the di
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

31 minutes ago, Dodger said:

 

Don for sure won't leave of his own accord. He will cause as much disruption as he can.  

😡🤬

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

I agree with James, 👿, Sue needs to have an independent auditor look at Robbie’s Trust. I also think that Don needs to publicly give Robbie his back allowance, maybe in from of the local political mafia. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Your Don character reminds me of another similarly acting Don: Don Auld T. Rump!!! Am I the only one sensing an harmonic resonance here? 🧐

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..