Are there any ideas that intimidate you?

23 minutes ago, comicfan said:

Fantasy, sci-fi, romance are all fine for me. However, give me a period piece, Western, or God forbid, a war story and I'm out of my element. As an English major, I've read many period pieces. The research doesn't bother me, but setting the tone and getting the details right would drive me to distraction. Westerns, again, due to a lack experience. You can create a flying dragon and explain how it feels, yet no one can clock you as having the details wrong. Write about riding a horse, the tack, and how it feels after a day in the saddle, and people everywhere will tell if you get a detail wrong because they live it. Finally,  war stories make me uncomfortable.  I have difficulty seeing, add in a weapon that must be aimed and I'm doomed. Now add moving targets and bullets aimed at me, well, to be honest, I'm completely lost. I haven't been a soldier, and it feels wrong to ask one what it is like to kill, barely survive, and live with the aftermath to get it right for a story. Almost anything else I can research and create, but those, well I just can't seem to strike the right tone when attempting to write them, so, I stay away from them.

He's just bullseyed all the moving targets I've been trying to hit to reply here. 

For myself, I have to add something that may seem strange. The real world. I don't mean the old show on MTV. This, right here. Our world. 

If I had a nightmare where I was being chased by a genre, it would be a high school.

Or maybe the zombies of fanfiction ideas I've had. I recognize when it's done well. That feeling of rightness, that even though what they're doing is outside of the original material it's still within the nature of the characters as I perceive them. 

But I can't do it. I cannot climb inside another person's characters and drive them around. At least not without it ending in fireballs and insurance claims.

Yes, I noticed I didn't elaborate on that high school thing, too XD

Edited by VampireMystic
  • Like 4
35 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Poetry :pinch:  I couldn't write poetry to save my .... - and I'm totally in awe of those who do.

Same here. The ones I did post here, I asked GA to delete them months ago they were so bad.

Aside from Poetry, I think writing Historical Pieces, FanFiction in some realms, and Erotica in general. I'm always self-conscious when writing two guys getting in on. I'm not into a lot of Fetish stuff, personally, so when I do write sex scenes, they tend to be fairly vanilla. Mainly, because I don't want to offend someone that might be into what I'm trying to write about. I've come to the conclusion, that Fade to Black is the best way to go.

• Like 4

For me it's science fiction that involves aliens.  I think it's because I have to construct an entirely new society from scratch and do that multiple times if I want to create a galactic community of alien races.  For me personally, fantasy is easier since there are already races in folklore and mythology that can be used for a story like elves, dwarfs, mermaids and fairies that all have their own backgrounds already created by storytellers in the past.  For science fiction, there is very little of that in my opinion.  And for my science fiction story called Hero Wanted, I focus solely on the human race since there is already an established society mixed with other societies like American, Japanese and Filipino as examples.  I do have an antagonistic interdimensional race called the Colossus, but they are very mysterious and not much is known about this race in the story, and they would not classify as a typical alien race you see in today's science fiction movies like Star Trek.

What I like about the video game Mass Effect is it displays the alien races like the asari, salarians and turians as very homogeneous, no pun intended.  What I mean by this is that each race has a trait that defines them and most members of that races usually fit that category like the asari who very diplomatic and have the largest economy in the galaxy; the salarians who are very scientific  and are inclined to researching everything about the galaxy; and the turians who are very militaristic and have the largest military fleet in the galaxy.  It's like countries on Earth with every countries having values and cultures that make them unique like the work ethics of the Japanese people or the importance of family in Filipino culture.  I would like to do something similar to this in a story in the future with a spin of its own, but right now I feel like this genre of science fiction is very daunting since how can I create a balance between what is alien and what is human without it making it too complicated or too cliché.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Myr said:

I find writing 'normal' stories difficult.  I just don't care about modern.  It's either fantasy or Sci-Fi for me. 

Maybe a part of it for me is escapism?  I read and write to get away from normal.  And you can't let it be said that I don't go right of the rails and head for the strange places when I get away. lol.  

More often than not, that's why I write. To escape, and to help myself out. I'm happy that people like the stuff, I've chosen to share.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Myr said:

I find writing 'normal' stories difficult.  I just don't care about modern.  It's either fantasy or Sci-Fi for me. 

Maybe a part of it for me is escapism?  I read and write to get away from normal.  And you can't let it be said that I don't go right of the rails and head for the strange places when I get away. lol.  

Same here.  I also remember learning from my creative fiction writing class that if there are no problems or worries in the world, we’d rather spend time outside rather than write how happy we are.  That’s me right there and I’m sure that applies to many others as well.  I write because there are problems in this world that I hope my writing reflects on rather than writing an ordinary romance.  Nothing wrong with ordinary romance, but for me I like some spicy to my stories along with plenty of side dishes :P

• Like 3
On 3/1/2018 at 6:49 PM, comicfan said:

Fantasy, sci-fi, romance are all fine for me. However, give me a period piece, Western, or God forbid, a war story and I'm out of my element. As an English major, I've read many period pieces. The research doesn't bother me, but setting the tone and getting the details right would drive me to distraction. Westerns, again, due to a lack experience. You can create a flying dragon and explain how it feels, yet no one can clock you as having the details wrong. Write about riding a horse, the tack, and how it feels after a day in the saddle, and people everywhere will tell if you get a detail wrong because they live it. Finally,  war stories make me uncomfortable.  I have difficulty seeing, add in a weapon that must be aimed and I'm doomed. Now add moving targets and bullets aimed at me, well, to be honest, I'm completely lost. I haven't been a soldier, and it feels wrong to ask one what it is like to kill, barely survive, and live with the aftermath to get it right for a story. Almost anything else I can research and create, but those, well I just can't seem to strike the right tone when attempting to write them, so, I stay away from them.

Doing a period piece! I agree wholeheartedly!

That’s why I’m doing one. It’s a challenge. It’s not very popular, but it is perhaps my most work intensive story because I have to channel my knowledge of history, older culture, and language. It helps that I am a fan of Jane Austin and EM Forster:

• Like 2

Fantasy/Sci-fi are intimidating for me. I haven't been writing or doing prompts as I should with those to feel more comfortable either. Writing in third after writing in first for so long can feel daunting as well for awhile. Being comfortable with something is practice. If you "do it," it will become easier for you to manage. I just haven't. :P So those are intimidating to me as well. Also, writing a character that I like... that I know is going to die. That is also a bit intimidating, you want to do them justice and you want to have that fit the story as that is your general idea for that character. 

• Like 2