Love, Simon- A Coming Out Movie

I took my family to see this and it was a really cool movie, my kids all enjoyed it and my husband and I both had wet eyes a couple of times. It's totally worth seeing and it's a mainstream movie that needs our bucks to show those are worth making. Check it out!

Here's a few tweets about it from Buzzfeed - hilarious.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Dabeagle said:

I took my family to see this and it was a really cool movie, my kids all enjoyed it and my husband and I both had wet eyes a couple of times. It's totally worth seeing and it's a mainstream movie that needs our bucks to show those are worth making. Check it out!

@Dabeagle  The Buzzfeed link is hilarious. Thanks for posting.

Edited by Ronyx
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Dabeagle said:

I'm in. The Buzzfeed link was awesome... thanks!   

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with MrM, the plot of this movie reminds me of so many stories I've read, quite a few written right here on GA.  I could easily have seen this as one of Comicality's stories.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I could relate to so many things from my teen years, just I didn't come out during them. This movie is great, but I still say the book is much better ;)

Just looked and it has made approximately 40 million at the box office in the US, so I'm sure Fox has seen there is money in it. Let's hope we have more great gay stories and not so much of the cheap stereotype movies that seem to be a dime a dozen. Not saying all are, but think of some of the great low budget movies and how great they would be if they had some money.

BTW, me and a pack full theater of mainly teenage girls :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Last I'd seen it was up over 50 million with a budget of 17. It's just opening overseas so it may have some legs.

I bought the book afterward and enjoyed it as well. There are notable differences between them and I'm a fan of both.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 1 month later...

A deleted scene, quite powerful. We didn't see it in the movie because the scene that precedes it and sets it up wasn't included, either.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyandoli/this-love-simon-deleted-scene-will-make-you-feel-all-your?utm_term=.mqAMv3MWV#.qyjG4WGoR

Edited by Dabeagle
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Love, Simon is a great addition to the LGBT film community. However, I believe there have been stronger portrayals in cinema which deal with the same issues. One of which, I have come across; only a short distance away from Ireland, in Iceland, the talent director Guðmundur Arnar Guðmundsson made a beautiful debut called Hjartasteinn (Heartstone.) The movie grips the viewer on so many other deep topics, including topics touched on in Love, Simon to some degree. It summed up brilliant character development in an imploding town. The trailer, however, does not do it justice.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4613254/

• Like 1

I think it is good that this movie was made and I am happy that it entered the mainstream has created not only an impact but is a support mechanism for questioning teens in the community.

What I didn't like is that the character who blackmails Simon seemingly gets away with it. Sure, he is "embarrassed" but what he did is technically a crime and it is glossed over in order to progress the plot of forcing Simon out of the closet. In reality, Simon needed to headbutt that character and then deny anything was going on. He was using an alias, as was the other boy, so there was technically no material to blackmail old Simon with. I thought it was a poor catalyst to move the story along and was very unrealistic.

23 hours ago, chezdon1997 said:

I think it is good that this movie was made and I am happy that it entered the mainstream has created not only an impact but is a support mechanism for questioning teens in the community.

What I didn't like is that the character who blackmails Simon seemingly gets away with it. Sure, he is "embarrassed" but what he did is technically a crime and it is glossed over in order to progress the plot of forcing Simon out of the closet. In reality, Simon needed to headbutt that character and then deny anything was going on. He was using an alias, as was the other boy, so there was technically no material to blackmail old Simon with. I thought it was a poor catalyst to move the story along and was very unrealistic.

I disagree, to a point. Martin was a cesspool of angst and handled himself badly both in the movie and the book. One of the difficult things with 'villain's' is making them sympathetic, reflecting the shades of gray that are part of our reality. Martin couldn't see the damage he was doing because of his focus on Simon's friend, with whom he thought he was in love. The focus of the story wasn't Martin and his development and that this wasn't tied up with a bow by having him prosecuted or something similar didn't detract from the story for me.

In telling the story, would it have been relevant to tack on a scene with a police officer visiting and leading Martin off in cuffs? Setting aside whether or not the character did wring (he did), how did it advance the central plot which was Simon and Blue? I think it would have been an unnecessary extension of the story that would have provided little in value to the overall work. Instead we see some contrition, in the movie, of him offering up his final ticket to extend Simon's opportunity for one more revolution on the wheel.

Perhaps one of use would have 'headbutted and denied', but who knows what anyone would really do in a given situation? I think the hope that we'd do the right thing is universal, and some may even be convinced that they would do what they think is right rather than lock up or be manipulated by the situation. People will react differently to different situations, and this was how Simon reacted as a scared, closeted person who didn't rationally examine things, but reacted with emotion and fear.

I think it was a good story that examined how things get out of control - from Martin and his blackmail to Simon's interpretation/response to Blue's fear of being found out and how he reacted as well. Adults have often inexplicable reactions; to see a high school kid do so is far more normal, in my opinion.

• Like 1

An excellent movie and Blue ( Keiynan Lonsdale ), came out as being attracted to people regardless of gender on social media in 2017. Although many news outlets initially reported that he was Pansexual, Lonsdale prefers not to label his sexuality.

Edited by Billy Martin
  • Like 2

After all the positive comments I had to watch it.  So I streamed it on Redbox over the weekend and enjoyed it despite all the teenage angst.  While it did not have the impact that Brokeback Mountain had for me, I can see where the younger set would be able to relate to it more.  

• Like 1