Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 2,290 Words
  • 3,071 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Summer Job - 41. Friday Follies

As quitting time loomed closer, Phillip was near pulling his hair out over the logistics of getting everyone to where they needed to be. Jeffry, James, Marcus, Luke and Jon-Jon would simply ride the bus home. Phillip planned to make a trip to see them later.

Scotty Cross was spending the night with Timmy Callahan and would accompany Timmy and his Mom to the Grandparents house, so they were out of the picture. Phillip was delighted to see that those two had become good friends.

Tanner and Britt would be over later.

Mikie and Randy caught a ride home with Mrs. Hendrix, so they would have a chance to cash their checks.

Kelly’s sister would pick him and Casey up and drop them off later.

Just when it looked like he was going to have to make multiple trips, Bryan and Adam Larkin knocked on his office door. Adam jingled his key ring and said, “I heard you had issues with logistics. Mom let me borrow her mini-van.”

Philip sighed and said, “Thanks a lot Adam. Life is a lot easier with friends.”

Adam gave Phillip a fist-bump in reply and accounted for most of the Gentlemen’s Club.

Before Owen could get away, Phillip said, “Stay and ride with me. I heard you know the trails in Grissom Park pretty good.”

“Yeah. I still trail ride back there all the time. The Parks guys do a decent job of keeping the brush down and there’s some good rolling hills back behind your house.”

Phillip lowered his voice and said, “Those hills are the reason I turn out all the lights when we take a dip after sundown. How easy is it to get around out there after dark?”

Owen shrugged and said, “It’s not really a problem. There are streetlights and house lights all around the perimeter of the park and more lights toward Park Center. Are you interested in a nighttime ride?”

Phillip shook his head and said, “You know who I’m talking about when I say Chuckles?”

Owen’s grin vanished, and he said, “Yeah. Everybody who went to Grayson knows that clown.”

Phillip pulled up Google Earth and zoomed in on his neighborhood and said, “This is my house.” He pointed to a house eight lots west of his house and said, “If you can get me there, I’d like to take a look at his house from the back.”

Owen pointed at the screen and said, “There’s a line of steep hills that run East-West a little North of the fence line. It’s good riding and not a difficult hike. We can get there easy and see into his backyard from one of the hills. What do you expect to see?”

Phillip shrugged and said, “I don’t know. I’ve got some binoculars, and I can borrow my Dad’s Nikon if we see anything... fascinating.”

“When do you want to go?”

Phillip said, “We’ll watch the front of his house, and we’ll make a judgement call. The word is there are always a few cars there on the weekends. It might be interesting to see who is there.”

 

When everyone was accounted for, Phillip got in his car and headed to his bank. He deposited his checks and drew some weekend money: five fifty dollar bills and a hundred for his wallet. He made it home and put his car in the garage just before Adam pulled in.

Phillip got out and greeted Adam and Brian, “What took you so long?”

Adam grinned and said, “The boys had a stop to make.”

The boys unloaded the van with plastic grocery bags and Seth said, “We decided to bring a few snacks. We know you and Casey have plans, so we’ve got sodas, chips and Billy even got guacamole and salsa.”

Phillip said, “Well of course they did. They’re gentlemen after all.”

Brian quipped, “When the lights are on anyway.”

As they were putting things away, Casey and Kelly, and then Mikie and Randy arrived separately also bearing gifts: a salad, cookies, hamburger patties, and Mikie whispered, “I’ve got four fat joints.”

Phillip said, “Hey Mikie, could you give me a hand outside a minute?”

Mikie followed Phillip outside and to a spot between the pool house, garden shed and the back fence. Phillip said, “You can come out here to smoke out. It’s nice and private back here. I just don’t want any of the younger kids to feel pressured into trying it.”

Mikie said, “Pretty much everybody at Grayson has tried it. It’s no big deal.” Then he noticed the gate into the park and said, “Dude, you’ve got a gate!”

Phillip said, “I thought many houses that back up on the park had gates.”

Mikie grinned and said, “They do and, it’s cool. You’ll want to buy a padlock for it. I’ve been fooling around back in those woods since I was little.”

Phillip asked, “Do you know your way around back there?”

“Easy-peasy bro. You can’t get lost. Just go in a straight line, and you’ll run into something. Let’s have a look.”

Mikie opened the gate onto a trail that led off into the trees and hills beyond and said, “I know exactly where we are. I had a fort with some kids back the other way when we were in elementary. Owen probably knows it best and, you met Cole today. They’re both trail bike fanatics and could probably find their way around blindfolded.”

Phillip said, “The reason I’m asking is Chuckles Farmer’s house is eight lots that way. We want to take a look and see what’s going on there later on tonight.”

Mikie grinned mischievously and said, “I know but, I’m not telling. You’re going to have to see that for yourself. I’ll give you a hint: you know that leather shit Cole wears?”

Phillip nodded.

“That’s where he got it.”

Phillip considered that and said, “We’ll go take a look later on tonight. Hold off on smoking out until after.”

Mikie asked, “I heard Stevie is coming with Patrick.”

“Yeah. I think his buddy Skyler is going to be with him.”

“Just a heads-up— Stevie and Randy are going to fight until they break down and have sex.”

Phillip laughed and said, “Oh, it’s like that with them.”

Mikie grinned and said, “Sort of like an old married couple without the wrinkles.”

“Ewww. I’m so going to spank you for putting that image in my head.”

Mikie closed the gate and scooted away taunting, “Only if you can catch me.”

Phillip caught Mikie who wasn’t trying to get away. He didn’t get a spanking. The two boys rolled around in the grass wrestling and laughing until they were nose-to-nose.

Mikie looked Phillip in the eye and said, “Whenever you’re ready, I’ll be here.”

 

Once Phillip had everybody pretty much settled, he told the group that he was going to see the Green brothers. He would at least bring back Jeffry, and maybe James and company if he was lucky.

As he was about to go, Randy asked if he could ride with him. He told Randy that it would be awfully tight on the way back, but Randy asked him to drive him through Park Center, and he would walk back.

Phillip agreed and drove Randy to Park Center. The road made a big circle around Park Center which was filled with kids on bikes, Grissom’s train, picnic tables, parking lots and a pavilion.

Randy provided directions into one of the parking lots, picked a shady parking space and said, “This is what I wanted you to see. I didn’t pick this spot at random. Don’t stare, but have a look at the picnic table where the four boys are with mountain bikes. The big one is Jeremy Aubrey. He’s sort of their muscle. The one that’s smoking a joint and thinks no one can tell is their leader Doug Lambert. The dumb ass in a red muscle shirt is Kevin Sutton and the dumb ass in the blue muscle shirt is Cade Brock— those two are OK. They’re just dumb, not malicious. There are three or four more of them and some older kids they hang with, but they’re always out here. They’re cool with me. I could walk up to them and buy some weed or pills if you want.”

Phillip said, “I don’t want. I don’t want my sweet baby brother anywhere near those guys.”

He started the car and headed back toward the house and Randy said, “I was cool with walking back.”

“I wasn’t cool leaving you anywhere near those guys. In case you haven’t noticed, I love you Randy. I don’t want you anywhere near the kind of trouble those guys are.”

Randy said, “They don’t go to Sunday school but, Kevin and Cade are pretty cool when Doug’s not around. They aren’t bad, they’re just followers.”

Phillip nodded and said, “I know the type. They’re following the wrong people, and it’s going to get them burned.”

Randy nodded and said, “Yeah, they have gotten complacent about things. It’s bound to happen sooner or later but, I want to ask you: if you can do anything about it, try to help those two. We’ve always gotten along and have a lot in common.”

Phillip asked incredulously, “You do?”

Randy ticked off: “No Dad, our Moms work all the time, very little in the way of money, in the closet, and until a couple of weeks ago, I didn’t even know what having a real friend was like. Oh, and Kevin is hung like a horse, and Cade isn’t far behind him.”

Phillip laughed and said, “If I can, I’ll see what I can do. You’re not hung like a horse. Maybe a pony.”

“A boy can dream, can’t he? I've got time to grow still.”

Phillip pulled up to the curb outside his house and said, “By the way, Stevie is coming with Patrick tonight.”

Randy blushed and said, “That jerk?”

“Yeah. I talked to him and the reason he got so prickly is those guys were leaning on him, so cut him a break and drag him off somewhere and do the nasty.”

“How did you know I liked him?”

“You blush whenever his name comes up.”

 

Fifteen minutes later, Phillip pulled up outside Jeffry Cummings apartment. Mrs. Cummings answered the door and said, “So you’re Phillip. Please come in.”

Philip followed her in and said, “Coach Hanson is going to have to miss most of the summer, so I’m going to be coaching the Barracudas.”

Mrs. Cummings said, “Aren’t you a little young for that?”

Jeffry appeared with his backpack and said, “He filled in today and did great. When we found out Coach Hanson was going to be out, we asked for him instead of somebody we don’t know.”

Phillip said, “My parents used to say I could swim before I could walk. I’ve had a lot of experience, just not from the coaching side of it.”

“He’ a natural”, Jeffry said enthusiastically. “Today he told us that we got to decide what kind of team we had by being the kind of teammate we wanted to have.”

Mrs. Cummings smiled and said, “Well, it seems you have the confidence of the team. It's a pleasure to meet you Phillip. I appreciate the long weekend.” She hugged Jeffry and said, “You be good. I’m going to see Mom and, I will see you Monday night.”

Jeffry picked up a grocery bag and followed Phillip out to his car and put the backpack and sack in his trunk.

Phillip said, “I’m going to visit Mrs. Green and try to liberate James and company for the weekend. Want to come?”

Jeffry grinned and said, “Yeah. I’ll introduce you.”

Phillip followed Jeffry to the Green’s apartment. Jeffry knocked on the door and Jon-Jon answered.

Jon-Jon ushered Phillip and Jeffry to the kitchen where Rochelle Green was having coffee with a big, impressive man. Jeffry said, “Mom Two, I wanted to introduce you to Phillip. He came and took the guys shopping today and is coaching my swimming team.”

Mrs. Green hugged Jeffry and said, “Thank you, Jeffry, I’m pleased to meet you Phillip. The boys have told me good things about you. This is Detective Butler.”

Butler, looked more like a linebacker for the Bears than a police detective stood, shook Phillip’s hand and said, “It’s good to meet you Phillip. Marty Oswald has told me good things about you. Given the source, you must be Captain America.”

Phillip grinned and said, “Mr. Oswald might be gruff, but he’s got a soft spot for kids big enough to drive a bus through.”

Mrs. Green said, “Well, Marty Oswald is becoming one of my favorite people. We talked this afternoon and, I’m interviewing for a bookkeeping position at your Dad’s firm on Monday. It’ll sure be a big improvement over working for the city. I can’t go any higher unless I run for office and, who has time for that foolishness?”

Phillip was surprised at the news, but very pleased. He also noted there seemed to be some chemistry at work between Mrs. Green and Detective Butler. He said, “I really hope that works out for you.”

Mrs. Green asked, “Are you sure you want all four of them for a long weekend?”

“They’re a lot of fun”, Phillip said. He nudged Jeffry and said, “...and, I’ve got backup. Every parent needs a night or two off. Just give James or Marcus a ring if you need us.”

 

Phillip loaded his car and headed home with his loot: the four Green brothers and Jeffry for a long weekend.

Copyright © 2021 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The weekend sounds like it's going to be a blast.Does somebody have good portable recording equipment?That could come in handy when they check out Chuckles house

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..