Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 1,915 Words
  • 2,986 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Summer Job - 65. Intersections

medoc-mt-NC.jpg

After passing into North Carolina, traffic on I-95 was getting on David Bridge’s, AKA Chuck Farmer, nerves. He took an exit off at Roanoke Rapids and took 48 toward Hollister. They were soon on a two lane highway and the traffic thinned out as they passed into the countryside.

Billy Bridges, AKA Doug Latimer, was curious as to what Pops was doing but was having more fun than he’d had all summer. The wind, the throaty roar of the Harley and the scenery were so surreal. He was contemplating the implications of the changes. He would miss the other guys but, he had a new life. Doug did not know what that new life would be like, but he trusted Pops. It couldn’t suck nearly as much as his old life and, he would have Pops.

At the tiny hamlet of Brinkleyville, Pops turned right off 48 onto 561 and pulled into Medoc Mountain State Park a few minutes later. After a short drive down a scenic road, he pulled into the visitor’s center and shut the bike down.

Billy asked, “What are we doing Pops?”

“We’re just taking a short break from the road.” He popped the seat up and revealed a small cooler and retrieved two twenty ounce Mountain Dews. “It’s getting pretty warm, my disguise isn’t helping, and I was getting thirsty.”

Billy took one and said, “That’ll hit the spot. Why Mountain Dew?”

Pops said, “Caffeine. We both had a long night and, the highway driving is a little stressful.”

Billy looked around. There were a few cars but not many people. He said, “It’s pretty but not much of a mountain.”

Pops chuckled and said, “Oh, three hundred million years ago it was. This is what’s left after erosion and taxes. At a stunning elevation of three hundred and twenty-five feet, it’s the highest point from here to the coast.”

Billy asked, “Where too from here?”

Pops said, “I know a good place for lunch and shopping in Goldsboro. We’ll be there in about an hour and a half. Then we’re going to Wilmington, another hour or two. We’ll get a room for the night and take possession of our boat tomorrow morning. We’ll do a little shopping, get some supplies and head out to sea.”

“Are you good with boats?”

Pops said, “I had my Merchant Seaman certificate by the time I was sixteen. My Grandfather ran six old freighters out of Savannah until they were too worn out to be worth repairing. I worked summers on the Savannah to Bristol run. Granted— our boat will be a lot smaller but much more comfortable. It’s got all the modern navigation aids we’ll need. The first leg of the trip will be Bermuda. From there, we’ll anchor, rest up and decide our next move.”

 

 

Rich organ music swelled and filled the church. Phillip noticed that the sanctuary had been designed for acoustics. The organist and pianist knew their business. There were a few hymns, the Youth Minister stood and welcomed everyone and then there was a scripture reading by one of the adults. Romans Chapter 3, Verse 23-4: For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus...

Once the scripture was read, there was another hymn and the offering plate was passed while the organ and piano played something that soared to the rafters and invited you to soar with it.

Finally, Reverend Curtis stood and preached. Apparently, the news of the day had changed the focus of his sermon to how such pillars of the community could be involved in such villainous and disgraceful behavior. He did not focus on vilifying them, but used their failings as an example of how man’s sinful nature could and would destroy him if sin was allowed to fester in their lives. He urged prayer for the victims. His sermon rolled on for another twenty minutes as he pressed his congregation to not be discouraged by such news as God’s justice and mercy always held sway in the end.

Phillip had heard a few preachers and Curtis did not strike him as especially hateful. Curtis was more the kinder, gentler type and was a fairly charismatic presence in the pulpit. Any preacher would be bound by the teachings of their faith but, not every preacher was a raving fanatic. After hearing him, Phillip was encouraged.

The service closed with a hymn of invitation and postlude by the organist that in any other venue might have been considered showing off. It was impressive.

After the service, Reverend Curtis greeted Phillip, Casey and Kelly warmly shook their hands on the way out and invited them all back. He seemed to approve of all three. In the car, Casey and Kelly were elated.

Casey said, “Mission accomplished.”

 

 

When Phillip arrived home, Richard’s Blue Camaro was parked at the curb. It seemed his Sunday had only just begun.

Casey led the way inside to the kitchen. Randy, Seth and David were talking and the lasagna and salad for lunch were ready. David asked, “Are you really going to help those kids in jail?”

Phillip said, “It’s the decent thing to do. From what I understand, they’ve got problems that once addressed might make them a little less... rough around the edges.”

Randy piped in, “You know I like some of those guys. If I can help, I’ll be happy to.”

“Good”, Richard said. “If you want to help, there are chores to do. The Sheriff a county over arrested several of the parents cooking meth at a place out in the country, so the boys' situation just got more precarious.”

David asked, “How can we help?”

Richard said, “There are two things we need to do. First, they need lunch. The cops are being cool about that. They will allow three kids to bring them lunch. Once you are there, they only have clothes on their backs. Take their measurements, do some shopping, so they’ll be ready for court tomorrow afternoon.”

Richard pulled an envelope with a Mastercard logo, handed it to Phillip and said, “This is a debit card drawn on the Trust for expenses. Keep the receipts. We’ll have to account for every penny spent. Who is going besides Phillip?”

Randy raised his hand and so did David.

Seth asked, “Why are you going David?”

He replied, “I want to ask Jeremy why he hit me every week.”

Richard chuckled and said, “You don’t know?”

David shrugged and said, “I thought he was just being mean.”

Richard said, “Nope. He likes you.”

David looked poleaxed and said, “He likes me!?”

Richard nodded and said, “You ever watch straight kids trying to figure out who likes each other and their silliness?”

David nodded.

“Many straight couples start out with the boy harassing the girl. It works the same way with boys sometimes. I, much prefer getting to know guys over video games and sports myself.”

David said, “Jeremy Aubrey likes me.” Like he was trying on the idea.

Phillip added helpfully, “Of course he does David. You’re a cutie. Let’s eat, so we can get started and let those guys know that they aren’t alone in there.”

 

 

When Officer Mike Lee led the eight bedraggled boys into the conference room, Miles Dannager was waiting for them.

Lee said, “Guys, this is your lawyer. His name is Miles Dannager. He’s pretty good so listen to him. Just knock on the door when you’re done.”

He closed the door and Dannager said, “Have a seat guys, we’ve got a lot to cover.”

Dannager didn’t know the boys. It was his first time to ever meet any of them. The biggest one said, “I’m grateful that we’ve got a lawyer, but who sent you?”

Dannager said, “I’ve known Chuck Farmer for years. He was afraid something like this would happen and had contingency plans set up. There is a Trust set up to take care of you guys, and they hired me to represent you. I know it looks bad from where you are sitting but, you are going to land on your feet.”

The youngest boy asked in a cracking voice, “Has anyone heard anything from our parents?”

Dannager asked, “You are one of the Benardi brothers, right?”

The boy nodded.

Dannager said, “I hate to be the one to tell you this, but they were all arrested this morning in rural Sussex country cooking meth. That’s where they have been disappearing to on the weekends. They are in a lot more trouble that you guys are in.”

One of the boys asked, “How did you know Pops?”

Dannager sat back in his chair and said, “I met Chuck Farmer and Wally Garner at an Al-Anon meeting.”

One of the bigger boys, Cade Brock asked, “What is that?”

Dannager said, “Have you ever heard of Alcoholic Anonymous?”

Kevin Sutton replied derisively, “Yeah. Those are meetings that drunks go to get sober, but they don’t really.”

“Sometimes they do”, Dannager said. “There are people in AA walking around that have been sober for decades. AA isn’t really the point, though. Al-Anon is a similar program for people that have had Alcoholics in their lives and are trying to fix the damage done. You see boys, Chuck Farmer, Wally Garner and I are just like you: we had alcoholic parents. Chuck’s old man used to beat the hell out of him. My father got liquored up behind the wheel and killed himself and my mother while I was in college. Stuff like that leaves marks and Al-Anon helped us get our heads on straight.”

“For years the three of us have been working quietly inside the system to help kids like you. Things were going pretty well until we got a new governor who appointed a new Human Services Chief who appointed a new Director at CPS for the county.”

Jeremy Aubrey growled, “Emily Frikkin’ Sturgis.”

Dannager chuckled and said, “Exactly. Look— all of you are first time offenders. That’s in your favor. A couple of your parents were already on bail or probation for drug and alcohol issues and, they just got arrested. Emily Sturgis thinks she’s going to waltz into court and send you to one of their private jails, but that’s not going to happen this time.”

A skinny blond kid, Frank Moss said, “It’s not?”

Dannager stated emphatically, “It’s not. I can’t tell you exactly what’s in store for your Youth Court hearing tomorrow boys but, if popcorn were allowed, I’d have some. It’s going to be good.”

Jeremy Aubrey asked, “What is going to happen?”

Dannager said, “We’re going to plead no contest to the charges.”

Kevin Sutton asked, “Wait, what? Won’t they throw the book at us?”

Dannager said, “Guilt isn’t the issue. It’s what comes after that makes the difference. We have a big surprise in store for Miss Sturgis. She will have no say in it at all. We are going to suggest an alternative for how this case is handled. You will be doing some paid community service. You will have foster home placements and, all of you will be treated for the various little problems Chuck noted in his files like ADHA, abuse trauma and so forth."

"You’re not getting your old life back guys. You will be getting a better one.”

div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo">
 
Copyright © 2021 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'll bring the popcorn!  This should be real good!! I like attorney Dannager - he seems truly invested in the boys getting the best outcomes now and for their future as well.  He'll go after Strurgis  with both barrels! Let the show begin!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..