Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 660 Words
  • 7,006 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Summer Job - 1. Prologue

The Summer Job

 

 

 

The summer he turned sixteen and moved into the new house, Phillip Wright got a summer job at the YMCA. He was assigned to sweep, mop and do a lot of the work that would otherwise tie up the staff during their busiest season. Phillip was unaware that his father had pulled strings to get him the job.

Phil Senior was an associate in a big firm involved in a huge international case that had been going on for years and showed no sign of a fast resolution. He spent much more time traveling that at home. He wanted Phillip occupied so he could not be crushed under the weight of eight hundred pound gorilla that had rampaged into their lives.

Phillip’s mind shut down when he thought about his Mom. Her death was still an open wound. His mother Anne, best friend Javier and Javier’s Mom Angelica were going shopping one sunny March day and were all killed. It was only chance that he wasn’t in the car too. Any other Saturday and he would have been. The tragedy had been the driving force behind their move. He and his Dad needed a new start out from under the choking pall of their grief and loss.

Phillip was an independent and responsible kid. He oversaw the move, got the new house unpacked and moved in. His job was to stay there, take care of the house and yard. His Uncle Bob lived twenty minutes away and, just a call away if he needed him.

 

 

Mr. Campbell, the Director of the Y, was skeptical about any hire the good old boy network suggested to him. His experience with such arrangements had not been good. In Phillip’s case, his skepticism didn’t last the first morning. Campbell was delighted to see that Phillip wasn’t just a good worker, he was a great worker. He picked up things fast and never made the same mistake twice. Moreover, he attacked the work that had piled up since the superintendent had retired.

Phillip was rewarded with a big set of keys and the run of the place his first week on the job. He actually accomplished more work simply because he was more physically able than the full-time superintendent who had retired the year before.

Phillip was a tall, wiry good-looking boy with dark hair and ice blue eyes. His striking appearance and frenetic work ethic made him popular with the staff and the adult regulars who used the gym. Kids liked him and he liked the kids. He had always secretly wanted a little brother and, he treated them like he now had a couple of hundred.

Every morning a bus rolled in carrying a load of fifty or sixty boys to participate in the summer day camp program. They ranged in age from third grade through middle school. They were treated to, or had inflicted upon them, a variety of sports, recreation, arts and crafts and educational activities. They played all manner of sports and went on field trips for the mere price of forty dollars a week. It gave parents an excellent alternative to leaving them home unsupervised during the summer.

The summer day campers weren’t the only people who used the Y. Regular members of all ages came in during the day and at night. Bored kids as old as college age from the surrounding suburbs came to play and have fun. Phillip quickly learned that this was an excellent opportunity to get to know people in his new town.

The local Middle School swimming team met twice a week bringing a bunch of nearly naked middle school boys running around in Speedo having fun all afternoon and, were to Phillip, a guilty pleasure to look at. More than once an inconvenient boner forced him scurry off to do something important elsewhere. He quickly started wearing a jock out of necessity.

Copyright © 2021 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 53
  • Love 14
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Much better to keep busy than wallow in sorrow.  Good on dad and good on Phillp for being a good worker.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Ah, this brought back memories of the YMCA day camp I went to in the early 1960's.  I remember taking my lunch with me on the city bus downtown to this enormous building (or so I thought at age eight!).

This was back in the days before polyester, so the swimming was all done naked, since the pool filters couldn't cope with the fibers shed by the woolen swimming suits of the day. Being all naked together made the nakedness no big deal.

They showed us really cheesy movies in the afternoons, such as Old Yeller, but the one I remember best was a Japanese monster movie called Mothra.  The effects were awful, but it was still a fun movie.  I also remember being fascinated by the movie projector and how the film wound through a rather complicated path, so as to allow sight and sound to be synchronized.

The rest of the day wasn't so memorable (though I vaguely remember painting some plaster dohicky to take home to to Mom) but was pretty much as described here.  It may not have been the most thrilling of experiences, but it was certainly fun enough, and it gave Grandma a respite from my constant presence and me something to tell my parents about when they got home from work.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..