Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 704 Words
  • 3,085 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Summer Job - 14. Thursday

The next morning, Phillip, Mikie and Randy got up a little early and were much better rested with an extra hour or two of sleep. During their showers and preparations for the day, Mikie and Randy wheedled for gossip about Andy’s visit. As curious as they were, all Phillip would say is that Mikie would have lost his bet. After a stop by McDonald's for breakfast, they arrived at the Y an hour early. As Phillip had the keys, he opened up, entered and locked up behind him.

Mr. Campbell was already there with a few of the staff preparing to open and he motioned Phillip to come to his office and asked, “Are these the two guys you want to hire?”

Mikie and Randy both nearly fainted when they heard Phillip say, “Yeah. I brought them in early with me, so they could follow me around and see what we have to get done. They are a little stunned since I wasn’t sure that would work out and, didn’t tell them. What do you say guys? You want to work with me?”

Mr. Campbell said, “I can only give you twenty-four paid hours a week but, you’re here most of the time anyway.”

Getting much coherent out of them wasn’t going to happen for a while.

Phillip had Mikie and Randy follow him on the morning routine: garbage cans, locker rooms, weight rooms, basketball courts, sauna, steam room, whirlpool and, racquetball courts. Next he walked them around to the barn where the outside gear was stored like the mowers, weed eaters, leaf blowers and hand tools.

Then they walked the baseball field, soccer fields, track and tennis courts. The Y had another guy, an adult named Hollis, that took care of the grounds but, they could be called on in a pinch if needed.

As they walked the sprawling grounds, Phillip told them about the mystery of the weed smoking Jizz Olympians. They both laughed their ass off and Mikie asked, “What about weed Phillip? Where do you stand on that?”

Phillip said, “I’ve tried. It’s OK, but it’s a lot more trouble than its worth. First, it’s illegal. The part that really makes me nervous is it affects people so differently, I’m really cautious about it. Some people smoke it, and you wouldn’t know unless they told you they were high. Some people smoke it and they get some combination of silly, stupid, horny, sleepy, paranoid and/or hungry. How about you guys?”

Randy said, “It is all over the apartments I live in. It’s the tame stuff people don’t get murdered over. I can take it or leave it. It’s good for boredom but since I’ve got friends now, I’m not bored. What about you Mikie?”

Mikie giggled and said, “To tell the truth I kind of like it. I was real fucking high the day I met Phillip. I smoked out with Timmy Gray and Billy Jackson before practice. Swimming was hell in my Speedo because everything made me bone up. Phillip saved me when he flipped me that towel.”

Phillip said, “This is the rule about anything that might be construed as drugs at my house: never, ever have anything stronger than weed. Alcohol is OK unless you’re stupid about it. If you have any weed, let me know. I won’t throw you out but, I insist you be discrete. Do you know who smokes weed in our group?”

Mikie said, “Me sometimes but, not very often. Cool? ”

Phillip nodded.

Randy said, “I’m about the same. I think Bryan said something about it Tuesday night. If you need any, I know people at the apartment complex that can hook you up and won’t murder you.”

“Like I said”, Phillip reiterated, “In my humble opinion, it’s more trouble than its worth. If you guys bring a joint, there’s a discrete place we could smoke out before bed. Just warn me. Cool?”

The trio bumped knuckles and went back inside.

 

Phillip returned to his office. He was charged with keeping track of Mikie and Randy’s hours so 7:00 to 8:00 he wrote up as orientation. They joined their swimming teammates for the practice that ran 8:00 to 10:00.

Copyright © 2021 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

My problem with the weed is you're starting to have a fair amount  of people around while most will be cool there is more of a chance one idiot will ruin it for everybody

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, jaysalmn said:

Teens drinking and doing drugs isn't my idea of a good story. Just saying...

Like it or not, drug and alcohol abuse is out there and, kids have to deal with it. ~15-25% of Middle School aged kids have tried marijuana and/or alcohol. Depending on the community, it can run much higher or lower. The opportunity to at least try alcohol and marijuana is almost a universal experience by high school in the United States.
https://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/substance-use/index.htm

GLBT youth are particularly at risk as they are often the target of bullying and other stressors.
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/gay-teens-least-twice-likely-use-illegal-drugs-study-suggests-n898671

I tried to give Phillip a reasonable attitude about it. His reservations about weed were well taken and,  good reasons to leave it alone. As the story progresses you'll find out why Phillip does not smoke grass and always stops after one drink.

I'm glorifying nor advocating it. It is simply there. It is part of the whole raft of issues adolescents have to deal with that make us uncomfortable and, speaking as an author, provide opportunities for drama.

FYI- I'm a recovering addict myself and have been clean 18 years.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

James has some good points on the prevalence of drug use in teens.   Personally, reading about it too much makes me uncomfortable, but I don't think @JamesSavikhas gone overboard.  I prefer to see less of it and not have the use described in any detail.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..